Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khaines

Public Toilets

Quite a simple question - where are they, is there a charge and which are the cleanest!! After all this coffee and cidre methinks this would be worth knowing!

Re: Public Toilets

Generally the French don't do public toilets except in a rudimentary way. The usual practice is to use the loos in wherever you are eating or drinking which are normally OK so McDonalds is probably the right answer!

Beware popping into a bar for a beer or coffee so you can use the toilet - it can lead to a vicious circle!

Bucking the usual trend, there are actually some quite nice (as they go) public toilets in St Malo just by the carousel / Place Chateaubriand.

Most places I visit in Brittany have decent public toilets. You usually share with the opposite sex but no problems there. All supermarkets I know have them as do Gamme Vert, Mr Bricolage etc no need to buy anything. No need to buy a drink in a bar unless you visit an English enclave such as Huelgoat where some do have signs like in England.

May pay you to have some loo paper with you though!!!

Ray;)

I was only thinking about the fact that if I go for a drink somewhere - buy something as courtesy to use the loo - then shortly I am going to have to find another place.... and so on....

Loo paper is a good idea, although a packet/roll of Izal it will not be! (anyone remember that?)

Unisex isn't a problem - quite ok with that one!

Bucking the usual trend, there are actually some quite nice (as they go) public toilets in St Malo just by the carousel / Place Chateaubriand.

St Malo is not the norm. Bars are usually the only option in most cases.

Quite a simple question - where are they, is there a charge and which are the cleanest!! After all this coffee and cidre methinks this would be worth knowing!

The only ones I've used are in the Parc Emmanuel Lias - they are fine and the gardens are well worth visiting. St Malo well provided but watch out for the erratic opening hours of those at the Porte de Dinan. To see how to fit in the most porcelain ware in the smallest space check out those at the Lion d'Or

Those in the ferry terminal at Cherbourg are okay. At St. Malo, there is hypermarket on the main road out of town (sorry I cannot remember the name) which makes for a "convenient" stop.

P.H.

Think that is the Auchan?

Brigitte, At Cherbourg the nearest supermarket is Carrefour. It is about 20-25 minutes walk from the ferry terminal.It is not far from MacDonalds. All the best and good luck with the voyage!

Auchan is on the road out of Cherbourg direction Valognes. About 15 minutes by car.

Thanks, Patrick - remembered it was Carrefour just after posting! Used to be a Carrefour in Bournemouth yonks ago in the 80s, was my regular until it closed. Remember a load of blokes took tellies and microwaves into the lifts and instead of going to the ground floor to pay they turned left when leaving the lifts and instead went off to the car park.....