Sign in to follow this  
carog

Restaurant recommendations, Saint-Malo

Re: Restaurant recommendations, Saint-Malo

Le Boujaron just inside the porte de Dinan Intra Muros is new this year and we had a brilliant set menu for €16 last night. The Lion d'Or is reliable. Hidden in the Gare Maritime de la Bourse is the Extra Muros with a wonderful view over the harbour, perfect for sunsets but has a good value lunchtime menu as well.

In St Servan the Bistrot de Solidor (on the road up to the Cité d'Alet) and the Globetrotter (just opposite the entrance to the Sablons Marina) are excellent, and on the way out of St Servan / Solidor towards the dam, the St Placide and the Bistrot de Poncel are very good (former more expensive than latter)

Brilliant, thanks for the suggestions, guys. They should keep me occupied for the next few visits.

Then....., there is the Clemenceau opposite the not to be missed Droguerie de Marine below the market in St Servan high street. Great value, busy lunchtimes with lots of local people.

Hi Colin,

Then....., there is the Clemenceau opposite the not to be missed Droguerie de Marine

Just found it on Google maps, it looks tiny compared to the Droguerie opposite. Will definitely be paying a visit there. Thanks for the tips. I don't know how many times I've driven to/from Saint-Malo but never taken the time to take a small deviation to Saint-Servan. That will be corrected on 24th. September. Getting hungry, already!

Thanks again, Carog

The only places that I've eaten at in Saint-Malo are Brasserie du Sillon, which is east of Intra-Muros but right on the beachfront; great views but rather expensive, mind you we had an enormous Plateau de fruits de mer.

Inside Intra-Muros we've been to Restaurant des Remparts and a few creperies but Saint-Servan is now definitely on the must visit area, away from the menus touristique.

Carog, still hungry!

Avoid the Cafe De Saint-Malo inside the east gate. Seven of us ate there in May and seven of us were sick the next day! This wrote off our entire weekend:@

The Cafe de St Malo is generally reliable, though I never go there in season when it can be heaving. Sounds like you had a different sort of heaving...... It is not great value at the best of times. The Lion d'Or is the best bet in that area, unless you feel like lashing out at Le Cinq, the new penthouse restaurant in the France et Chateaubriand. Fabulous views.

I had once a massive choucroute in The Taverne du Commerce on the Sillon. It was very good and old fashion. This was in 2008, not sure hiw it is now.

A few years ago, my wife and 2 young children ate in Le Jacques Cartier restaurant in the street of the same name in St Malo. My wife's fish was so poor that I asked for a deduction from the bill.

The management replied by calling the police, who turned up in 10 minutes, and told me I had to pay up or face arrest.

So if you want a little excitement after your meal, you know where to go.

If not, try this one: http://www.hotel-armoricaine.com/us/restaurant.html.

The Cafe de St Malo is generally reliable, though I never go there in season when it can be heaving. Sounds like you had a different sort of heaving......

Yes, unfortunately I had to leave a present the next morning on their doorstep!:o

Quick confirmation that the Boujaron, just inside the Porte de Dinan, so closest to the ferry, is really excellent. The owners were in Réunion for some years and the influences show in the cuisine.

...........;

If not, try this one: http://www.hotel-armoricaine.com/us/restaurant.html.

You swine!! This a place we guard selfishly ;)www.hotel-armoricaine.com/

We have lived in this part of France since 1999 and this resto is one of the restos that many of the St Malo locals eat in. Family owned for many years and as strong on value today as it has always been.

Here is a tip.

Join http://www.groupon.fr/ put in Rennes (Saint Malo is not yet an option) and you will receive deals of all kinds and many in Saint Malo BUT now and again and fairly regularly, you will get a resto deal that is generally less than half price. We use it all the time (I suspect some of you are already members of Groupon in the UK?) and have had many meals in and around Saint Malo at genuinely less than half price.

Once you register (free) you can book straight away online with Groupon whenever you see any offer that you like, then ring ahead later for when you are next over (or if you are a resident, same thing). A nice saving and all the deals we have bought, have been excellent fayre and value.

FYI the venerable Duchesse Anne has been sold. We, along with loads of local people, ate there during the final week to say adieu to Mme Tirroir and her equally aged team. Sad to see an era end.

Staff had no idea what the future would hold. Their contracts were retained but they simply knew nothing about the new owner's intentions. Seems to have been in the catering business 200 odd years ago, but is now big with Blot Immobilier, so, watch this space. The building and interior are protected.

Frankly, the DA was overpriced and average, but an institution and the service always had a touch of theatre.

Actually, you are quite right - DA was always overpriced, but also above average. They will be missed. The rumors certainly have flown as to what would replace DA.

Thanks for these tips - much appreciated. We did a day trip to St Malo yesterday and were going to try La Boujeron...unfortunately it still completely empty at 12.45pm and as we don't like being the only ones in a restaurant we tried L'Armoricaine instead. Wonderful - friendly, busy, good atmosphere (especailly when all the lights went out in the middle of a squall) and just the sort of good traditional French cooking you want when the weather is dreadful.

The menu a La Boujeron did look lovely though and we will give that a try another time.

I got back from St Malo yesterday and we visited a couple of excellent restaurants during our time there. La Maree Bleue on rue Jacques Carter (Intra-Muros) offered excellent tasty and good value seafood, while Restaurant Des Remparts, also on rue Jacques Carter, offered a wide selection of good value 3 course meals starting from around €11. I'd certainly go back to these places :)

Just outside St.Malo in St. Suliac on the River Rance is a very good restaurant featuring an open kitchen....... it is called La Ferme Bucainer, particularly good for a special occasion..... evening menu is 29Euros but more reasonable at lunch time.

Two restaurants to recommend, both owned by Maison Hector:

Le Lion d'Or and Le Café de l'Ouest. Both in place Chateaubriand.

Lunch in the Lion one day and dinner in the Café de l'Ouest.

Brasserie style, service continu – a style which meets the needs of both visitors and locals alike. No shortage of locals in both, which is always a good sign. The menus can best be described as a modern slant on traditional French cooking without being too avant-garde.

Here's our dinner menu:

1/2 Muscadet SM SL (as apéritif)

6 Huitres No3 (me), Soupe de Poisson (MrsW)

Filet de Rouget avec riz, asperges (me), Coquelet Rôti

Assiette de Fromages (shared)

1 Muscadet SM SL (with dinner)

€92 plus tip

All excellent.

And on the return crossing had good reports of the firm's third establishment, La Licorne. So we'll put that on the list for next time.