Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlanF

"Titanic 2012" Update

From the September issue of Manche Mag:

La Cité de la Mer prepares «Titanic 2012»

10th April 1912: the Titanic makes a one and a half hour stopover in Cherbourg, time to take 281 passengers on board. It will be the last continental stopover of the giant of the seas. Four days later, the famous ship will sink before reaching New York, with 1,496 victims. The urban Community of Cherbourg and la Cité de la Mer together with the associated Titanic Cities (Belfast, Liverpool, Southampton, Halifax and Cobh, all bound to the history of the ship), celebrate the centenary of the Titanic next spring. La Cité de la Mer will take advantage of this opportunity to open two new spaces to the public: the beautiful Art-Déco style luggage hall, on the first floor, will mount a permanent exhibition dedicated to the «passage of emigrants», more than one million people who, in one century, passed in transit through Cherbourg from Europe towards the Americas. The second part of the exhibition, «Titanic returns to Cherbourg», will reconstitute the boat and the life on board in 800 sq.m of new space. The visitors will be able to relive the tragic crossing thanks to an ambitious and realistic scenography and testimonies of survivors. A project of breadth that represents a real cultural and economic investment in tourism for the department. It is why the General Council of La Manche is promoting «Titanic 2012» as the most prominent event in the calendar for next year.

Further reading at: cherbourg-titanic.com/ and titaniccities.org.uk/

Re: "Titanic 2012" Update

I've had my eye on that for a while now, as I often pop in the cafeteria there anyway and I have seen what they are doing and it looks like it will be well worth seeing when it is open. Let us hope we have a Barfleur to get us there, it is bang next door to the port so easy to get to.

Love the 'indoor sparrows' they have in the building flitting about, chirping away, always a delight to watch!!

Love the 'indoor sparrows' they have in the building flitting about, chirping away, always a delight to watch!!

Probably related to the ones in the Auchan building. When they get old they move down the hill to retire by the sea.

Talking of Auchan, has anyone been to the wine foire that started on Tuesday? The best for many a year and it continues for a while yet. (Sorry mods, its not really off thread - it is certainly a 'Titanic' foire des vins. . .)

I'll keep an eye open for their zimmer frames!!:D

Photo is of a couple of youngsters, hopefully their entire diet doesnt consist of cake crumbs...;)

Thanks for the info, Khaines, I am just going to miss this as I will be in Cherbourg the week-end before.....

Well - we got to the Titanic exhibition this afternoon. I can't say that I was overwhelmed, but it is nicely put together, and there is a dramatic film show once you enter the main exhibition that sets the scene both tastefully and dramatically. Anyway, as Le Guide Michelin would say, 'worth a (short) detour'. From what I have heard, the Belfast exhibition seems to be the one by which others will be judged, and I suspect that Cherbourg will be found wanting.

I hope to be visiting the new Southampton Sea City Museum on Thursday which has a Titanic display.

Hi Colin - your feedback would be appreciated. Southampton is not normally on our route anywhere (since the demise of Stena in 1995).

OK, I will report back. The old Museum in the Wool House was pretty interesting. I visited it to prepare an article for Model Boats magazine a while back and you can see the online version here: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=7072

It will be interesting to see just how many of the old exhibits have made it into the new facility.

Yes - we went to that museum and enjoyed it on 'The Day of The Six Cruise Liners' last year. Thanks for the link - I will study that this evening. Just heard that tomorrow's NEx (18th) is cancelled, so must make arrangements to get to Caen.

I am planning Cherbourg myself - still want to do it, even if it is'nt that great a poke around the rest of the Cite will be welcome, I like it in there!

Don't Travel Alone. Take These Useful Ideas Together With You

Going for a vacation is a superb time for you to bond, but long travel times can certainly make even the most patient children antsy. This can lead to unnecessary bickering as well as a damper on the family fun. This short article will help ease a few of the travel-time tension by giving you some ideas to keep your children entertained through the whole trip.

Plan your activities ahead of time. This should help you choose the best travel insurance. If you plan on practicing sports or any type of dangerous activities, be sure you choose a policy that may cover you in the case of injuries. Unless you cheetah toms have the proper coverage, think twice before you decide to do anything whatsoever dangerous.

Request samples online. Instead of paying for miniature travel-size versions of all your toiletry items, do an internet hunt for free samples. Companies regularly offer examples of new releases toms shoes outlet which will be mailed right to your home. Request from toothpaste to shampoo to cosmetics whilst keeping a little stash within your travel bag so you are prepared for your upcoming trip.

Try to delay until the past minute to book. It may well sound counter-intuitive, but waiting up until the last moment often frees up deals a result of companies looking to fill their open slots for significantly lower rates. A hotel room without having toms shoes outlet one in it will not provide revenue, numerous last second visitors can request, and get, excellent deals.

Be sure to remove airline tags as quickly as possible after a flight. Leaving old destination tags on the suitcase is one of the significant reasons of lost bags. Usually do not take the danger of baggage handlers scanning an unacceptable tag and causing your bag to result in some other airport than you.

The tips you merely learned is an excellent starting point when contemplating better methods for you to approach traveling. When you're actually out traveling then all you want to be concerned about has fun, so be searching for additional traveling tips that could relieve your stress levels when thinking about traveling.toms shoes outlet