Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bretagne

Samhain

It is the eve of Samhain (November 1st) today. What Christians call All Souls' Day. Also the third anniversary of my grandmother's death.:(

Hope no trick or treaters come round. I have the rotten eggs ready to chuck at them if they do.;):D

Re: Samhain

My eggs here don´t get rotten as I like to eat them before they do that but I will have plenty of dirty window-washing water soon as I have to clean the 12 windows of that place where you can look out here - so I´d just have to up and on the balcony and splash it down over them :D :D

I have said before, that here it is not celebrated - but I did see today, that some are preparing for some "trick and treat" even here and prepare some costumes, too.

I went to a bonfire yesterday with my friend at his uncles farm, it was great and a bit more satisfying as we cut down and piled all the wood ourselves.

Flames 40ft or so high thanks to the tyres and parafin but as it is with my luck, when we went to extinguish it i picked up a stick with was incredibly hot!! I got a very large blister on my palm now but i promise you you've never seen a stick fly faster! :D

November in Irish is Samhain so the pagan traditions live on.. here we don't reallyhave tick or traters just treaters and bonnas (bonfires)..

I hate trick and treat. ****** Americanisms. Can't beat snap apple night! My nephew"What is snap apple night?" Still might get to frighten some of the local brats!

Good on you! :) Just come back from France- lots of Halloween stuff in the shops.

Can't beat snap apple night! QUOTE]

One of my teachers in primary school let us do that...was fun...

We don't get much trick or treaters here...thank God...

I duly dressed up and headed over to our Union last night for our Halloween night sponsored by Strongbow.

Was a very cool night, lots of different costumes e.t.c.

Not just ordinary ghosts and vampires though, there were Osama Bin Laden and Michael Jackson ones too!

Dan.

I saw an Angel of Death in Southampton today. Luckily he didn't see me. Also luckily I know he's a Waterstone's staff member.:D

luckily I know he's a Waterstone's staff member.:D

Seriously? :D

Michael Jackson ones too!

Dan.

And thats enough to frighten anyone.....! ;)

Complete with nose job? Enough to frighten me... ;)

After: Just been trick & treated :cussing: by anoying kids. (OK I'm only 12, but I am not trick & treating ;) ) Didn't awnser the door though

Where's your pic then Dan? I think I may still have it on my mobile!

Luckily nothing here... it was nevera tradition here, even some pubs, disco´s and radio station do some "events" - but it´s obviously something what they have picked up from the USA and as I am not a fan of americanisms at all I hope that Halloween won´t come tradition here ;)

Worse enough they will soon start marketing Christmas by using the American big fat red/white Santa-Claus caricatures.

I don't normally have anything to do with Halloween but last night we had a 'work's do' medieval banquet last night, with fancy dress of course. Included were free drinks served in tankards, a lot of meat that you had to eat with your hands (no knives or forks supplied), a heater the size of a 737 engine (and twice as hot;) ), plus a chance to pelt some managers who were put in the stocks.

:jester:

And then back to a female collegue's flat where she insisted on doing a seance, which was a bit of a joke when several attempts at doing it were halted by some of us giggling at normal noises, eg. the sound of someone swearing in the street, an exploding firework, a pelican crossing and the fridge whirring into life.

a pelican crossing and the fridge whirring into life.

Why did the Pelican cross the road ?

I tend to stick to the non-modern Samhain (pronounced Sowain) as I am a pagan in outlook, not a Christian. Samhain actually refers to the 1st November.

As for seances, they might seem like a bit of a giggle, but can be dangerous if not used by experts in the right conditions. That sort of thing has affected people's minds adversely. I am not superstitious, tending to be a sceptic, but I do know that the unknown should not be dabbled in by the unwary and unknowledgeable (which, incidentally, includes me!).

The girl's flatmate did say that when he did a seance, 2 people he knew that were involved got knocked down by cars in the following few days.