Sign in to follow this  
Millsy

Costa Concordia Aground - Deaths reported

Re: Costa Concordia Aground - Deaths reported

Main story on the BBC News this morning. Quite shocked to see how much she had listed.

They've also reported some Briton's were on board.

Saw this on the news this morning, dreadful. Thanks for putting it on here, Millsy, came online early to try and put a story up but laptop played up.

Condolences to the families of those who perished.

This is what is scary about building bigger cruise ships, the time it will take to evacuate, lifeboats are usually only 50% available when a vessel lists, so this needs to be taken into the numbers available versus passengers and crew on board. Greed yet again whereby cruise companies want to get as many people on as possible. Trouble is, human error can occur on whatever size vessel you are on. My thoughts go out to all onboard as it must have been a nightmare.

Clearly something has gone catastrophically wrong here. A ship like that should not capsize in these circumstances.

A friend of mine is the Chief Engineer on a ship of similar size. He told me a while back that the watertight bulkheads in modern ships are designed so that if the hull is breached the ship will flood evenly across it's width and settle on an even keel. What we aer seeing in the pictures should not have been possible.

There has been speculation for a while on just how easy it would be to evacuate a ship of this size (112,000 tons) Now they know!

Titanic centenary year too!

She is on her side now - so upsetting to see, brings tears to my eyes. with it being the Titanic centenary, it is just... well find it difficult to find the words....

IMO regs as translated by national maritime safety authorities [MCA for UK, MTN and Guardia Costiera in Italy] include risk of listing.

This is part of the stability book which marine architects must have approved by the relevant authority when a ship is being built. The book has umpteen pages of calculations [for our new boat it's over 100 pages] relating to all the circumstances in which the hull might take on water.

Then there is the evacuation plan - that of course means dry-shod evacuation - which includes access routes / times from passenger and crew spaces, lifejackets, emergency boats and liferafts etc. Which again takes account of the fact that one side or the other might be unusable because of listing / damage etc.

But I have to say a grounding in such well-charted waters is unusual - but then we said that about a certain submarine not so long ago, didn't we?!

Ken

IMO regs as translated by national maritime safety authorities [MCA for UK, MTN and Guardia Costiera in Italy] include risk of listing.

This is part of the stability book which marine architects must have approved by the relevant authority when a ship is being built. The book has umpteen pages of calculations [for our new boat it's over 100 pages] relating to all the circumstances in which the hull might take on water.

Then there is the evacuation plan - that of course means dry-shod evacuation - which includes access routes / times from passenger and crew spaces, lifejackets, emergency boats and liferafts etc. Which again takes account of the fact that one side or the other might be unusable because of listing / damage etc.

But I have to say a grounding in such well-charted waters is unusual - but then we said that about a certain submarine not so long ago, didn't we?!

Ken

I find this truly amazing. I am a Naval Architect, Chartered Engineer, Member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects. For something like this to happen in this day and age is extraordinary. Some of the photos now coming out on the web are showing spectacularly serious damage to the hull ... maybe three or more compartments damaged at the very least. It looks as though there was a serious error of navigation with the vessel going onto rocks at full cruising speed. This sort of damage is not done by just noodging a sandbank.

The only thing we can say at the moment is that it probably wasn't an iceberg.

More:

A picture on the La Stampa site shows a gash 50 metres long in the port bilge, with a huge chunk of rock broken off and ebbeded in the side of the ship ....

A picture on the La Stampa site shows a gash 50 metres long in the port bilge, with a huge chunk of rock broken off and ebbeded in the side of the ship ....

And yet she capsized to starboard! If it wasn't due to her settling on a sloping seabed there will be a few questions to ask about the stability of the vessel.

All the portside boats appear to have been launched and the very small (so far) casualty list suggests that the crew must have done a pretty good job overall in getting 3,000 passengers away.

To my completely untrained eye, that rock looks far to big to have broken off and be lodged inside the hull. Obviously, we can't see the damage on the starboard side - could it be that the rock has ripped right through the hull, partially slicing the bottom off, and impaling the ship on the rocks, which could have pulled it over?

To my completely untrained eye, that rock looks far to big to have broken off and be lodged inside the hull. Obviously, we can't see the damage on the starboard side - could it be that the rock has ripped right through the hull, partially slicing the bottom off, and impaling the ship on the rocks, which could have pulled it over?

Now you mention it, I do wonder, that is a pretty big rock to be broken off...

Now you mention it, I do wonder, that is a pretty big rock to be broken off...

Agreed, but it is at the 'back end' of the damaged area and if the ship was at normal cruising speed it would possess a huge amount of force.

There seem to be conflicting reports as to what happened and that the ship hit a sandbank before being steered inshore to facilitate evacuation so maybe there are two lots of damage - it certainly seems to be on the rocks now.

No doubt more reliable information will emerge over the next day or so.

Very sad to see pictures like that. When you Google Costa Concordia, one of the first hits says that you will have a cruise to remember - they weren't kidding there!

Someone I was talking to in a cafe earlier says they have always been frightened of going on a cruise and after this she never will. I do hope that this doesn't start a panic amongst people. I pointed out that ships are probably more safer than planes. Only a couple of weeks ago I was mentioning lifeboats on here.

What would happen now, she is leaking oil I think I heard said on the news. How would they move a vessel of that size, once investigations have been done then the task of removing her - mammoth task. Maybe not the right time to ask that, but it is just one of the things I am thinking about.

Friday the 13th yesterday too.

Someone I was talking to in a cafe earlier says they have always been frightened of going on a cruise and after this she never will. I do hope that this doesn't start a panic amongst people. I pointed out that ships are probably more safer than planes. Only a couple of weeks ago I was mentioning lifeboats on here.

What would happen now, she is leaking oil I think I heard said on the news. How would they move a vessel of that size, once investigations have been done then the task of removing her - mammoth task. Maybe not the right time to ask that, but it is just one of the things I am thinking about.

Friday the 13th yesterday too.

Ships are not safer than planes, one would like to think so but the statistics show otherwise. Looking at the last 20 years, just one European disaster - the MS Estonia disaster where 852 lives were lost, easily outweighs all European air disasters put together over the same period, which totals about 500 dead. And there have been other maritime disasters since 1992 to add to the figure of 852. During the same period over 630 people were killed in Europe in rail accidents, which is shockingly high (and this figure excludes rail accidents in Russia and Turkey). When you are in the air you can feel very out of control and it can seem more dangerous, but statistically speaking, flying really is the safest way to travel (and I say this as someone who is terrified flying!)

A very sad event, hopefully everyone unaccounted for are ok and have just forgotten to register their ok in the chaos. I was genuninely shocked to see such a large modern vessel laid low like this but despite all the technology in the world its sobering reminder that nothing can ever be 100% safe.

She is on her side now - so upsetting to see, brings tears to my eyes. with it being the Titanic centenary, it is just... well find it difficult to find the words....

I totally agree with you, I saw it just afer midnight at 00.17 on the Saturday as a newflash on Sky, I went online to find out it was the Costa Concordia and after reading the details I knew the situation was bad, I went to bed to wake up watching the news reports showing her capsized, it has made me sick all day and not really been myself, a tear was shed for the ship and pasengers and crew, a very say day in Italian shipping.

As someone who currently works in the cruise undustry, being an ex British merchant seaman and who has a real passion for ships the drama being shown on TV and on the web has been gutting, the pictures showing that boulder still embedded in her hull says alot but I don't understand how her stabiliser is still intact seeing the gash in her side is almost in line with teh stabilser.

I can not not wait to find out what really happened here as heads will certainly roll!

A very good point and somethink that I actually considered, only time will tell but I am very curious what the damage is like to her port side.

Maritime officials were questioning Capt. Schettino about the incident as it emerged he was at least four miles off course.

Local prosecutor Francesco Verusio confirmed the captain and the ship's first officer Ciro Ambrosio had both been detained in custody.

Mr Verusio added that the Costa Concordia had approached Giglio "the wrong way" and had struck a reef on its left hand side causing it to take in an "enormous amount of water in a matter of minutes".

Capt. Schettino told maritime investigators that charts showed he was in waters deep enough to navigate and that he had struck an unidentified rocky outcrop of the island.

He said once he realised the extent of the damage he immediately tried to change route and head for the safety of Giglio harbour.

However within minutes, the Costa Concordia began to list and a few hours later it was virtually on its side.

Capt. Schettino was quoted by Italian news sources as saying: "The area was safe, the water was deep enough.

"We struck a stretch of rock that was not marked on the charts. As far as I am concerned we were in perfectly navigable waters."

Qoutes taken from Sky News.

The full story here. http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16148897 .

What I cannot understand is how can you be 4 miles off course in ship that size and with all the latest GPS and stuff. Something is not right here.