Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gregsyer

“Un petit problème avec votre cabane....”

I’ll try to keep this as short as possible but please stay with me.

After booking a weekend away with dear old BF, the day of departure drew nigh and 24 hours before, a ‘phone call from Plymouth told me that there was a small problem with the return cabin booking! :-/

Because of work recently carried out on MSt.M’s accommodation, the disabled access cabin we booked for the return (7005) had not been completed and would therefore not be in use. Incidentally, it was the only cabin unfinished.

We would be moved to a four berth cabin (and there was only two of us) as it was the only one free that I would be able to get into in my wheelchair, cabin 7916, some of you may know of where it is? OK, not a drastic situation, there may be a small ‘step’ to get over on entering the cabin, but nothing that I couldn’t cope with ~ she said! *-)

Our weekend was enjoyed thoroughly, good food, good company and a pleasant 'sight-seeing' drive up and down the peninsula.

18 hours later on arrival at Ouistreham to get the 23.00 back, the rain started and the wind speed rose considerably. Bumpy ride home we thought. Little did we realise how ‘bumpy’ things were going to get!

After what seemed like eon’s we boarded. I wasn’t sure of numbers, and didn’t particularly care, but it took an age and we were informed that the ship was "... almost full", including four coaches full of French teenagers! Gonna be a bit noisy too, we thought.

We duly made our way to cabin 7916, with help from a member of staff who carried our over-night bag while Linda helped me navigate the 200 yards or so through the corridors and other passengers all with the same thought in mind. "Where’s my bed?" The new carpets are very nice but a swine to negotiate with a wheelchair ~ like trying get through mud.

We (eventually) arrived at 7916 after avoiding baggage left in the corridor, people fighting with the drinks machine, kids doing their best to play football and what seemed like hundreds of French teenagers running to the disco. If 7916 had been any farther away from the bar I’d have been water-skiing!

All about turn!

To cut it short, there was no way I was going get my wheelchair into the cabin and I hadn’t brought my pogo stick, so, back to the information desk to find out what they intended to do with us. If 7916 was the only cabin avaiable, were we going to have to sleep in a lifeboat?

A lovely young thing, Melanie, took complete control of the situation. Off she toddled to find the Purser and returned with news that he was ‘going to sort it’ but it might take a little while. It did, about 40 minutes.

To cut this epistle down a little more, suffice to say that there were no fewer than eleven, yes 11, members of crew ‘sorting it’. The Purser and one of the ships attendants, Melanie, two cleaners, three crew members with screwdrivers, monkey wrenches and various other tools, two cabin maids running up and down with sheets, quilts and pillows and our ‘baggage handler’, bless his socks, doing goodness knows what ~ and more!

By this time, almost midnight, we were past bed and felt the need for some ‘refreshment’. The bar was heaving, but we coped! A couple or three ciders, each, and we’d had enough of screaming silly French schoolgirls ‘disco-ing’ and retired to our newly 'refurbished' cabin. The crew members that ‘fixed it for us’ had worked hard in that 40 minutes. The whole cabin had been cleaned, floor to ceiling, including the bathroom. It was spotless and smelt of spring meadows. thumbup.gif

Now, I have nothing really to complain about but if the crew could do it in about 40 minutes, how come it hadn't been completed before MSt.M had been returned to service?

Sorted? Oh yes ~ a huge thank you and much credit to the MSt.M crew that did, especially Melanie, she was brilliant. Although the Purser was 'about the place', she took complete control of the situation and ensured we had very pleasant return journey ~ except for the bumps!

Re: “Un petit problème avec votre cabane....”

All's well that ends well then Greg! I'm thinking if I would prefer coachloads of French teenagers to English ones though - probably noisy but no doubt probably better behaved. Whatever, I think I'd take my leave after a while too.

I would wirte a letter to BF as I can see it being used on their customer feedback

I would wirte a letter to BF as I can see it being used on their customer feedback

Thanks Santini, good idea.

Believe it or not I did just that in the early hours of this morning after posting here. If it gets any further than their 'in box' I'll be pleasantly surprised. 8-)

Greg.

Thanks Santini, good idea.

Believe it or not I did just that in the early hours of this morning after posting here. If it gets any further than their 'in box' I'll be pleasantly surprised. 8-)

Greg.

Sounds like BF have excelled again. Hasn't it been mentioned on here a few times that E-mails have been answered quite quickly?

Sounds like BF have excelled again.......

They have indeed Smartie. I was 'pleasantly surprised' to receive a reply from Colin at BF by 11.00 this morning informing me that my email had been forwarded to Customer services.

Greg..... I admire your spirit.

It is often easy to forget the challenges faced by people with mobility issues.

Glad it worked out and hasn't put you off......

I will have to get my Mother over to France again.....

Thanks for your input Skip. To be honest there isn't much that puts me off, life has to go on and I just try to make the most of it.

Thanks to those of you that replied to this thread and, to keep you informed, I received the below message yesterday afternoon from BF.

To : gregsathome@aol.com

Date : 27 February 2012

Re : Assistance onboard the Mont St Michel

Our Ref : CM/YN39395/161036

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your email of 25th February 2012.

I am glad that the crew showed such determination to resolve the problem with your cabin, and I have passed on your kind comments to the ships officers.

Yours sincerely

CHRIS MASSEY

We're traveling on MSt.M again on 16th March and I look forward to catching up with crew members that helped us out ~ and I'm pretty sure they'll remember us!

At least we know that there will be cabin ready on this coming trip. 8-)

Greg,

We travelled on the Pont Aven this week, not sure if you have? The facillities are excellent, and the appropriate cabins are a good size....

Not been on Pont Aven as yet Skip, but I'm working on it!

With the increase in many BF fares I need to decide whether we go our usual way to Spain in December ~ drive via Limoges and Granollers (both Ibis stop-overs) ~ or PA to Santander and compare costs. December/January timetables, and therefore fares, not published until later in the year. *-)

With a new 'motor' that needs 'trying out' on some decent roads, (8-)) I may well drive anyway, and herself indoors doesn't fancy the lengthy 'on-board' experience. :-/