Sign in to follow this  
darrenjames71

BF Captains

I'm trying to get some info on names of BF Captains...I have many trips on the BF fleet but can never work out the Captains name as it comes usually from the welcome onboard announcement from the information desk...help would be appreciated...

Re: BF Captains

From memory, some of the usual suspects on the Breton ships:

Capt Denes (or Denez) on Arm, Capt Barbançon formally on Arm now on Pont-Aven, Capt Quéré on Pont-Aven, Capt De Kergarriou on Pont-Aven, Capt Brichet on Bretagne.

Bretagne - Jacques Brichet or Francois Bothuan

Hervé de Kergariou is a floater by choice

Olivier Raimbeaux is the newest/youngest and rotates where needed

Thierry Lacour is Cherbourg based and often on NX, sometimes stand in on Normandie or Mont.

Just to add to or clarify previous posts.

Bretagne - Jacques Brichet or Francois Bothuan

Hervé de Kergariou is a floater by choice

Olivier Raimbeaux is the newest/youngest and rotates where needed

Thierry Lacour is Cherbourg based and often on NX, sometimes stand in on Normandie or Mont.

Just to add to or clarify previous posts.

Bothuan replaced Barbancon on Armorique when Barbancon replaced Loiselet on Pont-Aven.

Hi All,

Just out of interest and assuming my question isn't 'thread drift' - in general if you take a 'standard' route, say Bretagne doing Portsmouth/St Malo round trips virtually continuously during the summer, how many Captains would she have - assuming they rotate, and what sort of patterns do they rotate?

Cheers,

John

Hi All,

Just out of interest and assuming my question isn't 'thread drift' - in general if you take a 'standard' route, say Bretagne doing Portsmouth/St Malo round trips virtually continuously during the summer, how many Captains would she have - assuming they rotate, and what sort of patterns do they rotate?

Cheers,

John

Hi

They work 7 days at sea and 7 days at home. 1 captain on board at a time.

Is it me or are BF moving around their captains from ship to ship far more than they used to? I've notice that many captains have moved ship recently compared to in the past when it seemed be the same captains on the same ship for year after year.

Is it me or are BF moving around their captains from ship to ship far more than they used to? I've notice that many captains have moved ship recently compared to in the past when it seemed be the same captains on the same ship for year after year.

More experience of all ports and ships.

Two more to add to your list D.J.71 .......

Captain Cyrille Fabry is on Normandie Express.

Captain Olivier Macoin is on Normandie.

Erwan Le Bourdonnec (if I spelt that right) is now the other regular Commandant on the Bretagne alongside Jacques Brichet.

There is concern for the most junior Commandants who may lose their status as part of the cost cutting going on.

Whilst it seems like the Bretagne will lay up again for 4 months, apparently there is much discussion about whether it should be the Cap Finisterre that sist out the winter. They are very keen to sell the Cotentin and there is no way back for a Poole service until economic conditions change significantly.

Note: Copied over to the Cost Cutting thread on the News Board if you wish to comment on this aspect.

From memory, some of the usual suspects on the Breton ships:

Capt Denes (or Denez) on Arm, Capt Barbançon formally on Arm now on Pont-Aven, Capt Quéré on Pont-Aven, Capt De Kergarriou on Pont-Aven, Capt Brichet on Bretagne.

On the Armorique there is Capt's Rozlan and Kerro

Olivier Raimbeaux is stand in captain on Normandie this week, and will be on her and Cap Finisterre fairly often this year.

It is fairly common now for comapnies to switch capatains and crew around vessels. This prevents:

(1) The captain becoming to complacent to a particular route

(2) Gives them knowledge of different routes and ports

(3) Prevents a crew regime becoming stagnant.

Although it must be highlighted that there is nothing wrong with a captain captaining just one ship all his career.

Regarding post someone made earlier, why was the Bretagne laid up for four months in Dunkirque, when it had a refurbishment a couple of years ago.

Because BF have too many ships for current demand in winter.

Pont-Aven (with support from Armorique) can handle the Saint-Malo run as well as Spain during the low season. Bretagne doesn't have the speed for Spain, nor the freight capacity for Caen. So she was laid up.