Sign in to follow this  
K2rockall

MY FERRY LINK - Latest updates

Was just wondering why MyFerryLink in particular are not accepting foot passengers on their new Dover-Calais link? This seems very strange to me for a company trying to make a profit where Seafrance failed and compete with P&O.

I know you will say that the real money with ferry operations is made with freight etc. but surely it is still an income stream worth having? Dover-Calais in particular has always attracted a lot of day trippers.

I was trying to book as I fancied seeing what the new company was like to travel with as I live in Kent and then found I couldn't book as a foot passenger. It also frustrates me that TransEuropa Ferries also don't take foot passengers between Ramsgate-Oostende - surely another route of high potential for day trippers.

Recently enjoyed two lovely trips with Brittany Ferries and am devastated and disturbed to see the current strike and forced fleet lay up situation. Really worrying.

Re: Why no foot passengers on MyFerryLink?

The reason for TransEuropa not carrying foot passengers is simply due to lack of facilities at Ramsgate (I know this as I was a dockside employee for 2 years). There are no longer any passenger gangways for the ships, the old foot passenger terminal is in a crumbling state of decay, there would be great overheads incurred by having to run 'shuttle buses' to and from the ships and the ships are simply not laid out to carry foot passengers any more. Also the fact that the Gardenia is a freighter and is therefore incapable of carrying high passenger numbers. The facilities in Oostend are still there and in pretty decent order however.

With MyFerryLink, they may choose to accept footies in the future. At the moment though, they are struggling to attract vehicle passengers (and there are alot more of those!). So why would they increase their overheads by having to employ extra staff in the terminals, extra staff to man the buses, pay extra costs for UKBA/Customs, pay extra costs for use of the walkways and manning of them. It simply doesn't make financial sense. And if we're talking about foot passengers to Calais, don't DFDS/LD carry foot pax? It's because the demand is just simply not there to make the expense worthwhile.

The reason for TransEuropa not carrying foot passengers is simply due to lack of facilities at Ramsgate (I know this as I was a dockside employee for 2 years). There are no longer any passenger gangways for the ships, the old foot passenger terminal is in a crumbling state of decay, there would be great overheads incurred by having to run 'shuttle buses' to and from the ships and the ships are simply not laid out to carry foot passengers any more. Also the fact that the Gardenia is a freighter and is therefore incapable of carrying high passenger numbers. The facilities in Oostend are still there and in pretty decent order however.

With MyFerryLink, they may choose to accept footies in the future. At the moment though, they are struggling to attract vehicle passengers (and there are alot more of those!). So why would they increase their overheads by having to employ extra staff in the terminals, extra staff to man the buses, pay extra costs for UKBA/Customs, pay extra costs for use of the walkways and manning of them. It simply doesn't make financial sense. And if we're talking about foot passengers to Calais, don't DFDS/LD carry foot pax? It's because the demand is just simply not there to make the expense worthwhile.

Re-read your post WR - should read 'why don't....'

Think there is a typo there, lol!!:)

No probs anyway!

Beat ya to it with that Khaines! :P

Sorry for the double post by the way, how do I get rid of it?

I've done it for you. No worries, sometimes it does that, I've got no idea why myself! :)

I thought the reason why Transeuropa doesn't transport foot passengers was more to do with the vessels themselves. As they're old rickity things that aren't very passenger friendly? Could be wrong though.

With My Ferry Link, although under a different name - they are basically still SeaFrance so operate the same policies that SeaFrance used to have.

At least Barfleur's footie door will resume duty soon. Been shut for how long - looking forward to walking through again. In Dover I remember stopping on my way down to the garage, purely out of habit, until my driver nudged me in the right direction!

Ooops, wrong door....

There's a post on this somewhere (a search will help) - but in effect it's not worth the extra cost of running a foot passenger service (terminal, security, busses, gangways) etc for the small number of passengers that would use it.

I can never understand the buses. A walkway leading from terminal to the ship gangway (high fenced either side) and the terminal side could have a boarding cards swiped through a barrier like at train stations. Pretty sure that there could be a way round it all! People standing at the entrance to the ship scanning cards, once you have gone through first barriers there should be no need.

Bus is easier to implement, weather proof. If you put a walkway across a terminal you need to think of vehicle access... so you can't fence all of it... people wander. Fnecing around the outside = nightmare. People standing at the entrance scanning - already happens with BF.

I thought the reason why Transeuropa doesn't transport foot passengers was more to do with the vessels themselves. As they're old rickity things that aren't very passenger friendly? Could be wrong though.

With My Ferry Link, although under a different name - they are basically still SeaFrance so operate the same policies that SeaFrance used to have.

Anflex, as I stated, the ships are no longer laid out to accommodate foot passengers and the Gardenia is infact, a Freighter (Ex European Endeavor, P&O).

Add this to all the problems with the port its' self and it is just not viable.

As for a walkway from the terminal to the ships, don't forget how big the Port of Dover is! 8 births running the length of the port, it would be impossible to implement a walkway direct to all of these, especially no.1 berth, as it has a DCT (Cargo terminal) separating it from the rest of the port. Plus the walk from the terminal to the other side of the port is quite lengthy, it used to take us as crew around 20-30 minutes after stepping off of the ship to walking out of the port! Don't think passengers would be prepared to do that! (L)

it used to take us as crew around 20-30 minutes after stepping off of the ship to walking out of the port! Don't think passengers would be prepared to do that!

Sounds almost as bad as walking to and from the gates at Gatwick airport...

At least Barfleur's footie door will resume duty soon. Been shut for how long - looking forward to walking through again.

Is it ironic that after all that time laid up in Caen, that Barfleur is the only ship currently owned by BF that is actually crossing the channel at the moment?

Did cross my mind - she's ploughing away over there! People going to Dover/Calais via DFDS offer to use valid BF tickets could end up on a BF ship anyway. Out of interest if DFDS carry those passengers with valid BF tickets then who gets the money? Passengers pay BF for a ticket, then DFDS carry them. How does this work...

there will be an arrangement between the two companies about the sharing of the revenues.

Thanks, I did find it tad confusing! This wouldn't apply to BF footies though, footies would have to use Poole on Condor. Unless DFDS allowed footies using another entrance, staff one?

Whether it's P&O, MFL, DFDS etc carrying the BF passengers, BF will pay them - albeit at a likely reduced rate. Arrangements are usually in place for this kind of thing.

P&O take footies.

Interesting responses. Didn't realise that costs of foot passengers in terms of bus links, check-in etc. were so high. I always wonder why Gardenia works Ramsgate - Ostende anyway - it looks tiny. Surely the the laid up Pride of Dover would be ideal for TEF short crossings. It's been in Tilbury for over two years now and still no sign of anything happening with it. Strange to see Moliere sat in Tilbury as well.