Sign in to follow this  
K2rockall

MY FERRY LINK - Latest updates

Basically it is because lots and lots of people don't like something that rolls about beneath their feet and insofar as they have seen pictures on TV it's usually horror stories of people being trapped on plunging ferries when the Port of Dover is closed due to bad weather.

Fact is that a majority of the population don't like ships much!

Whilst I tend to agree with what you say, how do you explain the fact that cruising has seemingly never been more popular?

Whilst I tend to agree with what you say, how do you explain the fact that cruising has seemingly never been more popular?

But it's only a small proportion of the population that go cruising.

Back on subject, before coming on this website I was only aware of P&O at Dover and BF in the western channel, so most people only see what is in front of them and are not aware of other "smaller" operators.

Edited by Solo

They could send the cats there - we are keeping that trimaran here, been after it long enough....😊

Hi Brigitte,Is vessel tied up at Poole the Trimaran that they you are talking about?

Because cruise ships literally go out of their way to avoid bad weather and the mainstream ones tend to sail in areas where the sea is usually calm and the sun shines. Much of the time is spent in ports of call. Ferries on the other hand have to keep to a schedule and frequently sail in less salubrious conditions. Ferries are also smaller as a rule and thus more susceptible to poor weather conditions.

Brigitte, you might be surprised just how many people go cruising, in most cases it is something of a bargain holiday as you get a travelling 4 star (or greater) hotel, all meals and food (you do pay for drinks) and free activities and entertainment and it all comes in a very safe environment. What's not to like?

Having said that I wouldn't want to do it all the time but for many people cruising meets all their holiday desires.

Here here Colin!

Says the cruising fan!!

Spent 10-nights on Norwegian Jade (93,000 tonnes, 3 x Normandies) in mid-November going around the Eastern Med. There's not really a tide in the Med so no tidal swells, hardly ever noticed it moving not that it was ever really rough. When we set sail from Istanbul we'd already had aperos and were seated in the restaurant (the French one, Le Bistro, I think) before one of my companions said in suprise that the lights were moving outside until I explained we'd been underway for about half an hour.

Came across some bouncy weather on the last night in the Western Med in October a couple of years ago on the last night but apart from the noise when opening the balcony doors didn't notice it on MSC Fantasia (138,000 tonnes, 4 x Mont St Michels).

Some properly bouncy weather in October 2013 on Celebrity Infinity (91,000 tonnes, 3 x Cap Finisteres), and as we were delayed leaving Porto due to the wind until 5am (should have been 5pm the day before) they whacked all the gas turbines on and we pelted it up the Bay of Biscay in a gale. However, I was absolutely fine and it didn't stop me doing anything, but some people felt a bit queezy. The difference is that because the ship is 325m long, it's longer than most wave lengths so you don't get the same see-saw effect you do on a 160m ferry.

And finally, the one night trip to nowhere last January (actually, a year today exactly) nearly went nowhere because it was pretty windy, but we left Southampton on time as we rounded the IoW it got a little more lively. But Norwegian Getaway (146,000 tonnes, 7 x Barfleurs) barely rocked.

With the exception of Getaway, all the cruises were specifically planned by the cruise lines to take into account the normal weather pattern, whatever that is these days, and tend to sail at night and arrive fairly very in the morning when most people are in their REM sleep periods; or too drunk to notice!

The most expensive cruise I did was last year. It was £2,800 excluding flights and extras (tours, drinks, spa) which was £280 per night. But for that I got a suite in a private keycard area of the ship with 12 other suites, our own courtyard area with swimming pool, hot tub, mini-gym, steam rooms, dining area and sliding glass roof over all and a separate secluded sun deck with steamer, rattan and hammock furniture on the deck above. Cabin came with a separate lounge with dining area, balcony and big tv on the wall. Then through to another room with a huge king size bed and it's own tv on one side and then an open plan bathroom with double sink, bath right by the window hanging over the side of the ship so when you look down you just see sea, and a massive walk in shower with jets everywhere and a wall top to bottom made of glass so you could have a shower literally as if there was no wall there. At £280 per night that's cheaper than the equivalent type of room in a London hotel, and that doesn't take you somewhere, feed you as much as you like when you like and keep you entertained. At £280 that is also £23 per hour, so it's easy to see why I get upset when Brittany Ferries want £500 for 2 x 6 hour crossings with a car and cabin in December; that's 78% more expensive per hour with no food and no butler. Equally, they were selling the same cruise if you had an inside cabin (don't think inside cabin as per on a ferry either!) for £497 for two people; that's literally cheaper than a Travelodge booked seven years in advance, or whatever you have to do to get their cheap rates!

Could I have an update on My Ferry Link please.

As I understand the company is up for sale but no buyers seem to be coming forward. Is that correct? So are they allowed to keep running for the time being, and how long is that ?

Friends with a booking are already wondering whether to cancel and re book with another ferry operator. Advice please.

They've been granted permission by the court of appeal to appeal so its not over yet.

Wortley when are your friends booked? Expect at least 6 months notice if they lose at the court of appeal, and then for a transfer to another operator- most likely the one under the same ownership.

[h=1]MyFerryLink in fresh twist[/h] myferry-pic.gif Stuart Todd | Monday, 16 February 2015

Workers co-operative eye purchase of vessels

The fate of Eurotunnel-owned cross-Channel operator MyFerryLink has taken a fresh twist with the workers co-operative that runs the ferry operator’s services announcing plans to acquire the three vessels currently plying the Dover-Calais crossing.

The fixed-link operator has already indicated that it is now seeking a buyer for MyFerryLink after the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority last month confirmed a decision last year banning MyFerryLink’s services in the grounds that fair competition rules have been breached because of Eurotunnel’s already strong position in the UK-France market. It purchased the three ferries - the Berlioz, Rodin and freighter Nord Pas de Calais - for €65 million in 2012 as part of the sell-off of the assets of liquidated SeaFrance by the Paris commercial court.

Separately, the UK Court of Appeal will next month hear the co-op’s plea to overturn the Competition and Markets Authority decision banning MyFerryLink's services in the grounds that fair competition rules have been breached. If the appeal were to fail, it is unlikely the ban would take effect until late-2015.

The CMA is understood to have no objection to another ferry company taking the place of MyFerryLink on the Dover strait as long as it does not have any connection to Eurotunnel.

Last year, MyFerryLink, which claims to have a 10% share of the Dover-Calais freight traffic market, transported close to 400,000 trucks

.http://www.lloydsloadinglist.com/freight-directory/news/MyFerryLink-in-fresh-twist/61721.htm#.VOItheasXmc

I think if DFDS bought the ships, they could have more frequent sailings and nice ships to compete with P&O's Spirit class. They could then seriously compete with P&O

Edited by litecactus

Looks as though the unions will be back to their old tricks of blocking the port of Calais to start with if they don't get the right answer to the appeal

http://www.wk-transport-logistique.f...-en-appel.html

CHANNEL 02/13/2015

The company authorized to MyFerryLink to appeal

MyFerryLink will be able to appeal the British decision prohibiting him from serving Dover. A decision that boosts hope for the employees of the Slcop

On 6 February, the Court of Appeal in London has made ​​a judgment authorizing the Scop MyFerryLink to appeal the decision of the CAT (Competition Appeal Tribunal). This British legal process analyzes whether the arguments advanced by the attacking party have a chance of success on appeal. UK judge in charge of this validated the three points of law put forward by the Scop.

The hearing before the Court of Appeal to be held on 13 March.

The confident unions

"This is a very positive move for our partners. The shipping company ensures all its customers that its vessels will continue to operate with a quality service and competitive prices," said MyFerry-Link.

On February 9, a meeting between maritime unions and employees of the Scop held in Calais.They took stock of stage of the judicial calendar. For elected Northern Maritime Union, the situation is not yet hopeless. "We have confidence in the President and CEO of Eurotunnel," recalled Eric Vercoutre, secretary of the works council and secretary general of the Northern Maritime Union, reports La Voix du Nord .

The unions do not admit defeat and promise blocking the port of Calais if ever the prohibition to dock at Dover is confirmed.

Edited by Banditman

I've just won a return trip on MyFerryLink for a car and up to 5 passengers to be used by March 2016. What do you think is the likelihood of the company being around that much longer? Don't want to book accommodation the other side and then the plug gets pulled on the whole MFL operation. Would like to use this in May/June/July/August

K2rockall - I queried the very same thing with MFL a few months ago (although I wasn't lucky enough to win a freebie !!!) I was told that in the unlikely event of this happening they would be able to transfer me as they also operate Eurotunnel !!

We've booked with DFDS instead !!

I'm hearing that MFL won their appeal today. Court of appeal has ruled MFL acquired the ferries and it was not a merger.

It seems strange the process comes this far only to end in a whimper. I wonder how DFDS will react. It looks like they have now committed to the route, but for how long?

This is ridicilious. Well thanks to this decision either P&O or DFDS will pull out, MyFerryLinnk / Eurotunnel will prosper. And in 10 to 20 years time Eurotunel will pull the plug on their ferry operation. Pessimistic I know, but possible, particularly when Eurotunnel eventually lower fares on the Le Shuttle service when more of the capital cost of building the tunnel is paid off.

This is ridicilious. Well thanks to this decision either P&O or DFDS will pull out, MyFerryLinnk / Eurotunnel will prosper. And in 10 to 20 years time Eurotunel will pull the plug on their ferry operation. Pessimistic I know, but possible, particularly when Eurotunnel eventually lower fares on the Le Shuttle service when more of the capital cost of building the tunnel is paid off.

I doubt P&O will pull out of Dover, they've spent enough money on the 2 Spirits which custom built for Dover - Calais - what other route can they do?