Sign in to follow this  
K2rockall

MY FERRY LINK - Latest updates

P&O and DFDS do need to start making a profit on Dover to Calais sometime soon though. How long will their shareholders put up with losses totalling millions?

Catching up on the DFDS charter and now bid for for part of the SCOP I was confused by a phrase from a DFDS press release. It suggested that DFDS will (as expected by many) run 3 ferries Dover to Calais. However it went on to say that there will be 4 routes to France and 9 ferries. This seems to suggest Malo Seaways (I'll assume) perhaps being used on a new route to France. Does anyone know anything about this or is it a typo/ my lack of understanding/ mistake in the press release?

Edited by Northy
Added question mark

4 routes? Does it also kind of imply they are going to stick with Newhaven - Dieppe route and not walk away next year?

Edited by d2frs

Full press release below:

After taking the necessary time to consider the interests of all stakeholders, DFDS confirms that it filed an offer today to the administrators of SCOP Seafrance. If accepted, this offer is expected to result in 202 jobs for SCOP Seafrance employees.

It would also mean that DFDS would operate three vessels between Calais and Dover: One of the current ships on the route plus the newly chartered vessels RODIN and BERLIOZ.

DFDS would thereafter employ 1000 French staff, hereof 650 in Calais, and operate nine ships, including five under the French flag, on four routes from France.

Niels Smedegaard, CEO of DFDS, commented: "Given the overcapacity in the market, DFDS had originally planned to operate two ships on the route in order to adapt the capacity to the market situation. However, following our dialogue with various stakeholders, we have decided to make an offer for part of SCOP Seafrance, and thus attempt to save more than 200 jobs by operating three ships instead. DFDS has been in the French ferry market for 15 years, and in recent years with ships under the French flag and with French crews. We are very pleased with the loyalty, skills and commitment of our crews, including the many former employees of Seafrance, and we are committed to continue developing a sustainable and long-term business in France that can benefit all of our employees, customers, and partners in the Calais region."

Contact

Gert Jakobsen

Tel: + 45 3342 3297

So DFDS (along with P&O) have via the CMA pushed MFL out of the market, acquired two perfectly suited ferries for the route and pushed ~500 people out of work in the process. Here they are complaining about the overcapacity in the market, when in fact it was P&O and MFL (as SeaFrance) who have always been there, and them who were new to the route.

I think I will switch to P&O from now on, as much as I like the MFL ships.

• Like 1

So DFDS (along with P&O) have via the CMA pushed MFL out of the market, acquired two perfectly suited ferries for the route and pushed ~500 people out of work in the process. Here they are complaining about the overcapacity in the market, when in fact it was P&O and MFL (as SeaFrance) who have always been there, and them who were new to the route.

Those two new P & O vessels always remind me of bigger Armoriques...

I thought Rodin and Berlioz were being transferred to DFDS?

I thought Rodin and Berlioz were being transferred to DFDS?

Yes, but considering DFDS's attitude to this whole affair I'd rather not give them my money. I guess I could just go with BF instead and avoid driving 2.5 hours to Dover! :)

I dont know how true it is, but I heard rumours today that at least one of the mlf ships has been vandalised by the crew still onboard. Something involving cement in the sewerage system and sand in engines.

I dont know how true it is, but I heard rumours today that at least one of the MFL ships has been vandalised by crew still onboard. Something involving cement in the sewage system and sand/cement in engines

Oh my. Will muster all the self-restraint I can so as to avoid typing anything that could be considered controversial by advocates of The French Way.

Needless to say.....if this is true then it is Not A Good Development.

Let's wait and see. I hope not. Trouble is, desperate people do desperate things. The total cost of the disruption must be huge, and far out weigh the initial objective of the court case....

Oh my. Will muster all the self-restraint I can so as to avoid typing anything that could be considered controversial by advocates of The French Way.

Needless to say.....if this is true then it is Not A Good Development.

A slight exageration n'est ce pas.

The overwhelming majority of the French public do not agree with violence of any description.

• Like 2

Looking at if from the DFDS viewpoint, why should they be enthusiastic to employ a bunch of people who have already sent SNCF to oblivion and who appear to be willing to stop at almost nothing to get their own way?

Looking at if from the DFDS viewpoint, why should they be enthusiastic to employ a bunch of people who have already sent SNCF to oblivion and who appear to be willing to stop at almost nothing to get their own way?

DFDS is already employing some ex-seafrance crew on Calais Seaways, Malo seaways and previously Dieppe Seaways. They are not all crazy unionists...

The marinark had been deployed for no apparent reason and was just hanging there, with the liferafts deflating all day. Also, one of the life boats plus a fast rescue boat was taking regular trips full of people around Calais harbour.

Indeed so, but there is clearly a significant minority who are.

Same in England anti austerity riots, football violence just dealt with in a different way here.

Same in England anti austerity riots, football violence just dealt with in a different way here.

Yes but the RMT don't tend to pile blazing tyres on the M1 or lines out of St Pancras. Plus I haven't noticed any reports of riots or football violence in the media recently.

UK unions are happy enough to inflict major inconvenience on the public by withdrawing their services but that is generally as far as it goes - or am I living an unusually sheltered life?

Domestic violence in Glasgow rises by 75% on old firm Derby days in Glasgow and minor violence offences rise by 125%,I'm sure that isn't just a Glasgow problem, and I think since the miners strikes there has been a severe attack on unions in this country people seem to have a short memories of what working rights the unions in this country have given us probably less so in France.

Domestic violence in Glasgow rises by 75% on old firm Derby days in Glasgow and minor violence offences rise by 125%,I'm sure that isn't just a Glasgow problem, and I think since the miners strikes there has been a severe attack on unions in this country people seem to have a short memories of what working rights the unions in this country have given us probably less so in France.

If you're familiar with either Glasgow or football you'd know that it probably is just a Glasgow problem. I was once threatened for wearing an orange t-shirt in a pub on the wrong side of town.