Sign in to follow this  
K2rockall

MY FERRY LINK - Latest updates

I'm familiar with a lot of the problems in Scotland including Glasgow and football and I can assure you that it's a national problem although it's most prevalent in Glasgow it is not just a Glasgow problem and there is plenty statistics to back that up.

Domestic violence in Glasgow rises by 75% on old firm Derby days in Glasgow and minor violence offences rise by 125%,I'm sure that isn't just a Glasgow problem, and I think since the miners strikes there has been a severe attack on unions in this country people seem to have a short memories of what working rights the unions in this country have given us probably less so in France.

To be fair there is no such thing as an 'old firm' game anymore, after one firm was liquidated. Though it is true that football violence is not just a Glasgow problem, there are many cities, all over the world, where passionate fans can and do fight each other.

By domestic violence do you mean wife beating etc.? If so I don't see the connection with burning tyres on roads and railways. It's more likely to be associated with drunkenness.

I think we are muddying the waters here. The original point was to what extent, if any, violence by strikers in pursuit of their grievance should be condoned. I rather get the impression that some people are sympathetic to this on the basis that 'it's a cultural thing'.

I think the French still realise how effective striking can be and how to get results by using any means necessary not that that makes it right what they are doing, my dad (an ex policeman) still has scars from the miners strikes in 84 perhaps we have just moved on in this country?

perhaps we have just moved on in this country? /QUOTE]

I think you are probably right plus the Unions have less influence in this country than they used to, I remember the late 60s & 70s very well!

• Like 1

There is a shocking disregard for workers rights in this country zero hour contracts to mention just one example, I'm sure the unions in France help to stop things like that in France, I personally am glad I'm a member of a union that helped me get a 3% pay rise and decent working conditions I feel we have gone to far the other way in fear of repeating the disaster of the60s and 70s.

• Like 1

There is a shocking disregard for workers rights in this country zero hour contracts to mention just one example, I'm sure the unions in France help to stop things like that in France, I personally am glad I'm a member of a union that helped me get a 3% pay rise and decent working conditions I feel we have gone to far the other way in fear of repeating the disaster of the60s and 70s.

I agree entirely.

I think people forget that workers have rights.These French strikers have the right to strike.

If their case is not even being considered by their employer then what else can they do? Sit at home and watch the tele or get out there and complain!

If "moving on in this country" means workers have no rights then we had better head back to the year 1800.

Edited by imprimerie
  • Like 1

Well, they seem to be doing a bit more than complaining.... I don't think anyone is saying they don't have the right to strike, just maybe not to set fire to things....

They might be in a better situation had they not engineered the collapse of SeaFrance.

The French seamen who are aboard the 2 My Ferry Line vessels do not have any employer nor do they have any workplace so how can they be on strike.

• Like 1

The French seamen who are aboard the 2 My Ferry Line vessels do not have any employer nor do they have any workplace so how can they be on strike.

I have been wondering myself since 2nd July.

I was under the impression that the ex-SNCM employees had set up the co-operative Myferrylink company using their redundancy payments from SNCM. The boats were leased from Eurotunnnel. At the end of the lease date Eurotunnel appears to have re-leased the boats to DFDS. The "strikers" are rather more than employees and will have lost their investment.

Please correct me if this is a incorrect view of the situation.

Westy, I think the involvement of Eurotunnel was a bit more than just leasing the boats.

I have always thought it's strange that a business, the tunnel in what ever form, which owes Billions can go out and buy the ships to put pressure on it's opposition i.e. the existing ferry companies.

The problem now is that it isn't a strike, as they have no jobs. Now it is a grievance against Eurotunnel and DFDS. Unfortunately it has a wider impact on other operations (P&O, Eurostar).

Whilst I support a workers right to strike (within reason), it is time for some workers to realise that their actions can have a detrimental effect on the company they are striking against and lead that company into financial difficulty, particularly if they are striking against cost cutting. The French have a tendency to go on strike if the wind changes, and whilst it is unfortunate that some people have lost their jobs, I have very little sympathy for strikers who cause the company they work for to go out of business (although in this case it isn't so), and in fact serves them right.

As far as I'm aware the French only strike when they have a genuine grievance and as a result have an employment system weighted in favour of the employee not the employer, that's probably a good thing imo but I'm sure others on here disagree, we seem to be in a perpetual "we can't afford it" attitude situation from employers to employees wage demands when in a lot of cases they can , austerity the go to answer for bad employers.

How does pouring concrete into the engines of a ferry help anybody, including the strikers? Surely no legitimate right to strike involves condoning criminal damage.

As far as I'm aware the French only strike when they have a genuine grievance and as a result have an employment system weighted in favour of the employee not the employer, that's probably a good thing imo but I'm sure others on here disagree, we seem to be in a perpetual "we can't afford it" attitude situation from employers to employees wage demands when in a lot of cases they can , austerity the go to answer for bad employers.

As someone who spent years in the early seventies disrupted by any group of disgruntled workers who felt like walking out I'm afraid I have to view the right to strike with a good deal of reservation. They usually did quite well - but it was a tad austere for the rest of us.

How does pouring concrete into the engines of a ferry help anybody, including the strikers? Surely no legitimate right to strike involves condoning criminal damage.

I haven't seen any concrete proof that has happened.

Guest Guest

Indeed, in a link posted earlier in this thread to a Facebook discussion amongst the crew involved and their supporters, it was stated that no damage had been done to the vessel(s), with the very good reason given that they still want to operate them. No doubt in the fullness of time we shall see.

The other day I wanted to book a crossing. Tried BF but accommodation fully booked, so turned to shorter crossings. Won't now consider Calais, even for the France-bound direction. Ended up booking for Dunkerque, with a hotel room in the vicinity on arrival.

Would have liked to book MFL. I'm another who has always liked Berlioz and Molière.

Yes we must stay with the facts and not with media speculation.

I for one would like to hear more about the causes of the strike and what (if any) solution could be reached.

Edited by imprimerie