Sign in to follow this  
K2rockall

MY FERRY LINK - Latest updates

My Ferry Link - Updates

I guess the wind seems to be affecting a lot of ports, apparently the Pride Of Burgundy had a bump with the Berlioz in Calais this morning.

My Ferry Link - Updates

See attached

Impressive picture - If P O Burg took on a load of ballast her bridge wing would end up resting on the Berliozs deck and you could just walk onto her!

My Ferry Link - Updates

From what I have read on the Dover Ferry site, the Berlioz came off the worst. The ship has damaged lifeboat davits and has lost some liferafts. MyFerryLink are down to one ship on the route now until repairs can be made. All traffic is being transferred to the Rodin.

"Travel Update 27th October 2012 - 14.15:

This morning P&O Ferries' Pride of Burgundy lost control in high winds whilst maneuvering within the Port of Calais and collided with the MyFerryLink ship Berlioz. Due to damage sustained to the lifeboats aboard the Berlioz she will be unable to sail until adequate repairs are made.

All customers due to cross on the Berlioz are being transferred to the Rodin when you arrive at the port. MyFerryLink apologises for the inconvenience caused by this unforseen accident." Quoted from the MyFerryLink website

Re: My Ferry Lin - Updates

My Ferry Link tweeted earlier:

"@MyFerryLink: Our services are currently disrupted due to the P&O ship Pride of Burgundy losing control and colliding with the Berlioz this morning."

Anyone know anymore?

My Ferry Link tweeted earlier:

"@MyFerryLink: Our services are currently disrupted due to the P&O ship Pride of Burgundy losing control and colliding with the Berlioz this morning."

Anyone know anymore?[

Burgundy swiped the Berlioz whilst leaving her berth (with tug assistance) in Calais, during some stormy weather this morning. More details on Dover Ferry Photos site, you need to join.

Could MyFerryLink Be having a dig at P&O by putting "P&O ferries Pride Of Burgundy" couldn't they just put "Pride Of Burgundy"

Very strong Easterly / North Easterly winds this morning, but obviously still should not have happened; not helpful at half term, either......

Having seen the photo it looks like a fairly reasonable collision - with the bridge of the P&O vessel wedged nicely on the top deck of the My Ferry ship. The sheer difference in sizes of the two vessels surprised me.

An bad 24 hours in UK ferry history with 2 collisons P&O/MyFerry and Stena/Irish Ferries caused by strong winds - and the troubles with the Cap that lead to the diversion to Brest.

~ Nothing British about it~ P&O at Dover are owned by the UAE Government of Dubai....... and a recent survey condemned the shift and working patterns on board, with high levels of fatigue...... (Co-incidence, I am sure)8-)

~Stena are Swedish~

~Its one reason I feel so strongly about the BF set up. Safety is important, and can easily be compromised by employing 'Cheap' crew.

Mmm. Any body think of a BRITISH ferry company connecting our Green and damp island with the Continent?!!!!!!!

p&o might be owned by dubai world but that is where it ends no money is put into it ! so it is run from dover and we all mainly british crew

~ Nothing British about it~ P&O at Dover are owned by the UAE Government of Dubai....... and a recent survey condemned the shift and working patterns on board, with high levels of fatigue...... (Co-incidence, I am sure)8-)

~Stena are Swedish~

~Its one reason I feel so strongly about the BF set up. Safety is important, and can easily be compromised by employing 'Cheap' crew.

Mmm. Any body think of a BRITISH ferry company connecting our Green and damp island with the Continent?!!!!!!!

The vast majority of P&O crew in Dover are Brits, at least 90% i would say, the survey you speak of was aimed at P&O Dover going to a two week on / two week off roster, the overwhelming majority said that on such an intensive route working patterns would not be sustainable, which was the decision of the professior employed by the company to do the survey.

As the other poster points out Dubai put no money into the operation in Dover or any other P&O route, so P&O have to sustain themselves at every level.

~Stena are Swedish~

Interesting though looking at MAIB reports of ferries around the UK having mishaps (Pride of Bilbao/Yacht Ouzo, PO Provence hitting the breakwater, Pride of Calais hitting the berth in Calais, Maersk Dover having a near miss with 2 ships in the TSS, The Pride of Canterbury running aground and now the Pride of Burgundy to name a few -and the Herald for that matter-), that none of them had cheap crew. In fact they were all British. I'd be interested if there are any MAIB reports about UK ferries that were caused by safety issues caused directly by 'cheap' crew.

EDIT: Not implying anything about British seamanship here I must add, I am a British deck officer myself. Just an observation that I am not aware of any UK ferries having any incident due to cheap crew.

Re: My Ferry Link - Updates

In the Times today is a short article saying that the Eurotunnel purchase of the SeaFrance ships has been referred to the relevant investigatory commission.

in my opinion this is going to fall through. We have DFDS running five ships across the channel and P&O. And now MFL as an additional competitor. Who is going to explain to me that more competion leads to less competition?

The basis of the investigation is that Eurotunnel will have more than 50% of the cross-channel market. They have seen through the argument that they are not operating the ships but leasing them to another operator.

Would there not be an argument that ET are leasing the ships at a flat rate and are no better off than if they were leasing them out anywhere else in the world for the same revenue.

I'd understand if ET were getting a proportion of MFLs revenue - but would have assumed that it's just a normal charter agreement and that the SCOP itself is a different legal entity?

Would there not be an argument that ET are leasing the ships at a flat rate and are no better off than if they were leasing them out anywhere else in the world for the same revenue.

I'd understand if ET were getting a proportion of MFLs revenue - but would have assumed that it's just a normal charter agreement and that the SCOP itself is a different legal entity?

What revenue :D , watching the ships load is very enlightening, can not believe they will still be running at easter.