Sign in to follow this  
K2rockall

MY FERRY LINK - Latest updates

Re: My Ferry Link - Updates

Where are the Straits ships at in terms of compliance. I do quite like the thought of DFDS chartering one of the MFL ships whilst updating their own tonnage ;)

Didn't one of the earlier P&O ships trial scrubbers a while back?

Agree that MFL are my choice across the short sea.

What I had in mind was Portsmouth-Cherbourg. No need for cabins, relatively short crossing, reduced capacity during conversions to Caen and perhaps no freight service from Poole.

I didn't think there was much of a freight service already from Poole to Cherbourg.

This has been discussed before in these Forums, namely that Dover Straits ships have to be modified for service elsewhere -- much as BARFLEUR had to be modified when she moved in the opposite direction. I don't know about the ramps but fortunately both Portsmouth and Cherbourg are equipped with doubledeck linkspans so no internal ramp shouldn't be a problem if that is the position. However I don't know about open deck space and how limited it is. Maybe it's OK for the hour and half or less between Dover and Calais but what about the four hours or four and half hours between Portsmouth and Cherbourg? But I would certainly agree that if MOLIERE or RODIN were ever to be deployed in this way from Portsmouth, Cherbourg would be the only feasible port on the other side.

I didn't think there was much of a freight service already from Poole to Cherbourg.

This has been discussed before in these Forums, namely that Dover Straits ships have to be modified for service elsewhere -- much as BARFLEUR had to be modified when she moved in the opposite direction. I don't know about the ramps but fortunately both Portsmouth and Cherbourg are equipped with doubledeck linkspans so no internal ramp shouldn't be a problem if that is the position. However I don't know about open deck space and how limited it is. Maybe it's OK for the hour and half or less between Dover and Calais but what about the four hours or four and half hours between Portsmouth and Cherbourg? But I would certainly agree that if MOLIERE or RODIN were ever to be deployed in this way from Portsmouth, Cherbourg would be the only feasible port on the other side.

All MFL ships do not have the necessary extendable ramps fitted to their lower decks. They are equipped with clam doors and when berthed, the lower linkspan fingers are lowered directly on the ship deck. Both Portsmouth and Cherbourg linkspans do not have fingers on the lower linkspans. These ships can't be used on Portsmouth - Cherbourg unless they are fitted with the ramps. This would be too costly for a short term charter.

All MFL ships do not have the necessary extendable ramps fitted to their lower decks. They are equipped with clam doors and when berthed, the lower linkspan fingers are lowered directly on the ship deck. Both Portsmouth and Cherbourg linkspans do not have fingers on the lower linkspans. These ships can't be used on Portsmouth - Cherbourg unless they are fitted with the ramps. This would be too costly for a short term charter.

Yes too expensive for a short term charter. MFL however have ships they are legally unable to sell and are about to banned from the route they were designed for for 10 years. In those circumstances perhaps the cost of modification and redeployment on possibly the only available route under the MFL brand might seem a very attractive option to retain the use of the vessels and employment for the staff.

So the French state wades in to say they will back MFLs right to operate. I wonder if there might be a compromise agreememt with one vessel being pulled and retaining the other and the freighter? The restrictions on vessel use if the decision stands seems highly uncompetitive.

Someone should have gone to bed earlier! It is, of course, not MOLIERE but BERLIOZ! MOLIERE was, in fact, SEAFRANCE MOLIERE (ex-SUPERFAST X, ex-JEAN NICOLI) and is now DIEPPE SEAWAYS and will in due course receive a STENA name presumably when she moves to the Irish Sea next year.

Sunday Telegraph. Sun 27/7/14

My Ferry Link are looking to "store " some unused Ships. Any Ideas Where to put them?

Would BF be interested in giving them a hand?

Stunning vessels that would be well suited to BF - certainly have that BF character.
Agree, nice ships. However they have no cabin accommodation, and would also need major modification to the bow and stern doors for ramps to be installed.

With the investment BF are making in their existing fleet I doubt the capital exists to make this possible. Eurotunnel are unlikely to permit their sub-charter in anycase.

Ferries like RODIN and BERLIOZ would only be any good as they stand for the shorter routes not exceeding a voyage time of four to five hours without a massive, and doubtless very expensive, rebuild. It's easy to forget that Dover Straits ships are configured differently from elsewhere, with a few exceptions such as Cairnryan-Northern Ireland I believe. But even to operate as day ferries elsewhere with no overnight accomodation the ferry operator would have to consider the following matters, I would venture to suggest:

1 No bow and stern ramps. The shoreside ramps are lowered onto the ships. Hence the "cowcatchers" at bow and stern (and BARFLEUR's acquisition of such when moving to Dover-Calais and becoming DEAL SEAWAYS.)

2 No internal ramps I believe. They're all now two tier loading and discharging and again rely on the shoreside linkspans for access to the upper vehicle deck (and so not much good for singledeck linkspans.)

3 No cabin accomodation

4 Possibly limited open deck space -- not needed for a crossing of just an hour and a half

5 Maybe not too foot passenger friendly

The foregoing could constitute a strong incentive to keep RODIN and BERLIOZ going on the Dover Straits because of the huge expense of modifying them for use elsewhere!

If the excellent MFL ferries have to be laid up could they not be used on Dover - Dunkerque, Dover - Boulogne or even Dover - Ostend?

Why stop with Dover. There is a empty ferry port just up the road at Ramsgate. Calais,Dunkerque, Ostend,Zeebrugge or even Ouisterham in Holland.

If the excellent MFL ferries have to be laid up could they not be used on Dover - Dunkerque, Dover - Boulogne or even Dover - Ostend?

They won't be allowed to operate from Dover that's the problem.

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but with P&O and DFDS only running the routes from Dover by next year - will we be likely to have an issue with availability? Unless of course either of the two got more ships but is that likely?

Having recently travelled on all three, I have to say that P&O was by far the worst of the lot. I'd far rather MFL was kept running and given how packed my P&O sailing was (at 1.30am!!) I'm not seeing a lack of business for the competition.

Having said that, DFDS was very quiet on the way home. Lovely ships and crew though, so if one operator has to leave please CMA make it P&O!