Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skipcool3

....save miles of driving from the heart of holiday France.

Dinard.... our first visit.... what great views across to St. Malo.....

Looks lovely with the Bretagne sitting on her berth... except this was the middle of the afternoon.....*-)

A quick call to BF and we were told that yes, there was a strike but our crossing the following morning was running.... Mmmmm.

We explored Dinard.... then made our way over to St. Malo for the rest of the afternoon, trying not to think too much about if the disruption would continue.... there appeared to be many 'stranded' Brits. all putting a brave face on, hoping to get back the next day on the same sailing as us..... I was glad that I had booked a day cabin...... She would obviously be very busy.....

We went to a B&B that we know a few miles up the river Rance in St. Suliac that is calm and feels a million miles from St. Malo. A walk along the river followed by dinner in a great restaurant (La Buccaineer) and an early night....

Breakfast was greeted with the newspaper headline...'Impasse a BF' that the strike was ongoing... how to get home!!!?? A call to BF and we were informed that we should make our way to Calais from where they would get us across the channel.... Any chance of Dieppe~ Newhaven? NO.

I collected my thoughts and we had another walk around St. Suliac... dropping in to a small gift shop where the owners husband works for BF as an electrician on the Cap. F....... 'stranded' in Santander.... nothing sailing til tuesday at the earliest.......

A further phonecall to the AA to extend our breakdown cover by 12 hrs... and so we started the long drive to Calais.

Over 6 hours later we arrived in Calais and spoke with a lady from BF that was there helping stranded BF passengers.... We could get either P&O or MyFerry (No, we couldn't go with DFDS on the Barfleur, KHAINES, tho' I did ask! :D)

The P&O ferry we were offered was one of the older motorway services style ships, so we plumped for the MyFerry service at 20:45 operated by the RODIN.

We were loaded on to the upper vehicle deck and I noticed the 'Eurotunnel' house flag flying from her jack......

We left on time and we passed P&O's 'Spirit of France' moored STERN TO in Calais *-) and the Canterbury(?) which looked very busy....

The Rodin seemed in good order, but both forward decks / bar were shut off. She was very lightly loaded with I would guess only about 60 cars and a few other vehicles on board. It soon became obvious that we were among many fellow BF refugees!!

Service from the former Seafrance crew was top draw and the Beef stew was hot and went down well at around 7.50 including veg and rice or chips, tea / coffee was around the 1.75 mark and served in proper cups and not in P&O paper costa cups at crazy prices...

We did wonder tho' why there were so few passengers on a Saturday night?? The rest of the short crossing was uneventful and we arrived at 21:15 in Dover, mooring alongside her sistership 'Berloiz'

Thoughts?

Well the Myferry service was just what we needed, peaceful, welcoming and good food, and we would not hesitate to use it again. We collapsed into bed at 01.30 this morning hoping very much that BF are able to sort things out ~ This Skip (x2) doesn't want to drive to Dover to get to Brittany........ as it adds hours of driving each way for us. Enough. :-#

Re: ....save miles of driving from the heart of holiday France.

Suntandan..... Yes, tho' different things seem to have been said to different folks. BF told us that they would compensate mileage St. Malo ~ Calais plus tolls. Others were told they could get a hotel up to 70 quid.

My actual costs in cash was the extra mileage from Brest (where we were diverted to) to Roscoff, plus the mileage St. Malo~ Calais, plus the difference between Dover and home and Portsmouth and home, plus tolls (over 20E IIRC) plus an extra 12hrs AA recovery insurance....

More than this tho' is that we went on holiday for my good ladies birthday, a relaxing break and not to have to drive far..... and to get home around 8pm, instead of 01.30 am this morning.

I used Condor via the Channel Islands, avoiding the driving miles.

Somebody I was talking to on the Ld crossing stated that bf offered them a total of 50euros to cover their expenses driving to Calais (fuel and tolls). He opted to drive to Le Havre and go with LD and submit his invoice to bf for the crossing

Colin...... we enjoyed our trip and particularly our further visit to St. Suliac.

Glad you were able to get across from St.malo with Condor.

When we contacted BF we were told that the ONLY options open to us was Calais - Dover.... I did specifically ask about Le havre-Portsmouth and Dieppe ~ Newhaven (Newhaven is 15 mins from our house....) but was told that no agreement was in place,(i.e we would have to pay out) and the Cherbourg - Poole Condor Seacat was full.....

Out of interest, a single on Condor St. Malo-Poole car +2 with reclining seats was over 250 Euros.... money I am not convinced we would have got back from any source, with an arrival time in Poole of 00:30.

BF and Condor are obviously not on friendly terms right now .... and Condor are coining it at BF's expense for a few days at least.

think positive and be glad you didn´t have to drive from Santander to Calais :D !

....yep, thanks, RAIK, a relaxing couple of days with minimal driving became two days of driving (Brest-St. Malo and St. Malo -Calais -Home) so probably more than 11hrs driving, but looking on the bright side, we did see the bridge across the Seine at Le Havre (what's it called now?) and had a spot of lunch in Honfleur.......