Sign in to follow this  
8410Commodore

Advice On GCSE Options

Is it Exeter at Exeter or Falmouth? The campus at Falmouth is very nice, however there is a lot of hostility from local residents towards the university, as a lot of locals have been priced out of Falmouth, the university keeps reapplying for new planning permission to increase size and student numbers and is now considerably bigger than ever planned . Some properties increased 7-10 times over in value in the last 10-15 years!

Exeter at Exeter. I've heard nice things about the accommodation at Falmouth but it's too far away and the quality of teaching and resources is really patchy apparently.

My Nephew at Exeter (in Exeter). He has just finished year 1 and did very well. Congratulations on your great results. There is a hill on the campus called Cardiac Hill......bit steep!

Thank you!

Officially applied to uni today!

Choices were:

St Mary's College, Durham - Economics with placement

Bath - Economics with placement

Surrey - Economics with placement

St Catharine's College, Cambridge - Economics

Warwick - Economics

Desperate to get offers from Durham and Surrey, not too bothered about Cambridge if I'm honest - don't want to get my hopes up.

Well I guess this is the end of the road now. I got my results last week.

Unfortunately I missed my offer for Durham, I got A*AB instead of A*AA required. To say I'm gutted would be an understatement and what makes it worse is I was very very close to not only meeting my offer but exceeding it with A*A*A. 

I decided to reject my second choice uni and I went through clearing and managed to secure a place at York University to study Mathematics and Economics! While I'm disappointed, I am still pretty hopeful and excited about my time there! 

These results have been a funny one if I'm honest. I understand they're great results and I've still ended up at a great university - but there's just something so awful about not getting what you set out to do. However, since I started this thread I can say with a hand on my heart that I tried my best and I ended up in an infinitely better situation than I had ever imagined five years ago. 

Durham was an exceptionally high bar to aim for, and to come that close is hugely frustrating but still a great achievement - well done! Life has a funny way of working out, and whilst it might not seem that great now, you never know what the future holds and you could well look back on going to York as being a good thing to have happened.

This is far from the end of the road, it's the next chapter... and you still will have plenty more to write.

• Like 2

On 18/08/2016 at 23:16, adicat said:

My Nephew at Exeter (in Exeter). He has just finished year 1 and did very well. Congratulations on your great results. There is a hill on the campus called Cardiac Hill......bit steep!

Don't know how I missed this being an Exeter graduate myself but you're 100% correct - the whole city is hilly and Cardiac Hill certainly lived up to that reputation. Very difficult to navigate (up or down) once a few drinks were consumed*

*or so friends advised me B|

English overall - B (number convert) (2 GCSE)

Maths - C (Number convert)

Physics - B 

chemistry - C

biology  - C

History - B (super unexpected) 

computing - C (Coursework got marked down from an A* to a C) 

I did do German, but because of a very hard exam, and coursework being only BCC, I was 1 mark of a C, however I chose to not remark, since i felt I over preformed overall  

Planning to do History, Psycology, and English at A level, depending on the occupancy of he psychology course. It may come down to my maths grade, which was only a C, however I got the required for entry. 

Going in, my exit poll was more like this: real results in the second set of brackets.  I’ve converted the new numbers to letters

English overall (C)(B)

maths (B)(C)

computing (B)(C)

physics (C)(B)

biology (D)(C) 

German (D)(D) bad exam day

Chemistry (D)(C)

history (U)(B)

20 hours ago, DucdeNormandie said:

Have you spoken to Durham? As applications are down this year they may still be willing to take you if you have only just missed the grade. I think it would be worth contacting them to discuss this.

I'd second this advice, if only to reassure yourself that you tried all the options.

Back in 1995 I was forecast to get B/B/C for my Geography/French/German A-Levels and dropped a grade on each due to difficult circumstances in the 6 months leading up to the exams.

My first and second choices of Glasgow and Lancaster both rejected me for my Geography with French degree despite the teachers at my 6th-form college in Hampshire writing to them directly to explain everything.

Swansea (third on the list) said yes, come now. But, before I confirmed that, I rang the admissions services at both the other two to plead my case and see if there were any back doors.

Glasgow said yes, I could do what I wanted by enrolling in the divinity faculty and doing a certain number of religious studies classes at the same time. In the end I decided to go for the beaches of Swansea and the Gower and everything turned out fine.

If you are a linguist too, why not try the language faculty at Durham, see if they've got any places free and do a combined language and economics degree. If it's anything like Swansea, they may let you pick and chooses modules so you can also study the economy of the language/country, and perhaps the politics too.

Remember, unless you want to be a pure mathematician, any degree involving economics will give you the knowledge you need and as long as you have got a degree in something employers will be interested (my sister graduated in physical geography from Royal Holloway in 2000, got a job with a recruitment firm 2 months later and has worked in the industry ever since).

Good luck and keep us informed.

Ed

On 25/08/2017 at 10:29, DucdeNormandie said:

Have you spoken to Durham? As applications are down this year they may still be willing to take you if you have only just missed the grade. I think it would be worth contacting them to discuss this.

Yes I've phoned and emailed them. Sadly they said because I failed to meet the requirements they cannot take me on the course. However it was only after relentless calls and emails that they said if I were to retake maths and get an A* - they would 'potentially' accept me. But by the time they said that, I had everything prepared at York with deposits down for accommodation etc. 

York is a very decent university.  Not many people would be disappointed to be going there.  Have a great time....and check in with us in about 3-4 years' time! :)

As a graduate of York and current  resident of the city for 15 years since i came here to university I would thoroughly recommend our beautiful city and great university and think you'll love it.. It's a bit of  trek to the South coast to see the BF fleet, but Hull is 1 hr drive away and you can get some very reasonable minicruise prices to Bruges or Amsterdam in the off season. Congratulations and welcome to Yorkshire! 

I chose my Drama course in 1972 solely on the basis that the theatre had a fly tower and a revolve. That's where I wanted to go. If York won't do and you're determined on Durham take a year out retake if you want and take a break from learning for a year. You've been behind a desk for a long time already! If you don't want to go - don't.

Edited by Millsy