Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anflex

Transeuropa Ferries: In trouble?

Re: Transeuropa Ferries: In trouble?

Unless a port owner is looking to offer some sort of financial deal, like airports that used to sweeten the pill to get Ryanair in, I don't see how a decent operator wouldn't already be looking at a route that wasn't served or which was ripe for competition. The problem with any financial assistance is getting it past competition authorities.

Unless a port owner is looking to offer some sort of financial deal, like airports that used to sweeten the pill to get Ryanair in, .

Ryanair and Chania in Crete is a prime example of this. Chania has gone from an average of 5 flights a day to average 20 a day. Some kind of heavy discount provided to Ryanair, and now Chania is their Mediterranean hub. Ryanair had never been to Chania 12 months ago.

(I only know this as my granddad has a house over there and is flying over every 2 months or so, and its cut his cost from £300 return to sub £100 return)

Anyone heard anything about the Gardenia?

Rumour has it she's been sold to someone in the Med. She's also vanished off AIS (Larkspur is still active)

Guest CaptainPugwash

Sorry to be political (re the bbc news report above) but why are the greens always so against absolutely everything and negative to boot?

I could see Ramsgate being a good commercial move for an operator, even if it is only to stop other ports (Dover and Calais) thinking they can hold an operator to ransom with port fees.

ok so , i repeat why this old small and low cost repaired ship have chance to re sailing, and a bigger, in good conditons ostend spirit could nt

No ramp together....

May be gardenia have some cabins but this is realy not a very big ship 8-) small accomodation rooms boring ship in long travel

ok so , i repeat why this old small and low cost repaired ship have chance to re sailing, and a bigger, in good conditons ostend spirit could nt

No ramp together....

May be gardenia have some cabins but this is realy not a very big ship 8-) small accomodation rooms boring ship in long travel

Where is it sailing to again?

No ramp together....

It has been said many times on here, the Pride Of Calais / Ostend Spirit has been worked very very hard over her life, the money needed to bring her in line with the requirements of a non short sea route are far too much when the age of the ship is taken into account. She also has a gear box problem which TEF did not repair when they sent her to her refit in Antwerp, so more money needed to be spent there. The deep seated money problems in the Greek economy also mean the usual last place for these ships is no longer available, hence no one can afford them, if anyone could someone would buy her!

right, i understand, she looks like great condition, but in fact it's only because she was freshly repainted, very lot of spares parts are used inside the engine room and more ;)

Gardenias are not yet sold to anyone but the one who purchased on the auction so everything is still possible

Where is it sailing to again?

Guest CaptainPugwash

Gardenias are not yet sold to anyone but the one who purchased on the auction so everything is still possible

Yes, and it is also possible that you might have to share the harbours and route with a resurgent euroferries.

Guest CaptainPugwash

eiamunk, there are MANY opportunities for commencing scheduled ferry services- it doesn't take much to identify the real commercial opportunities that are out there at the moment (and differentiate them from the 'wouldn't it be nice if...' type comments).

However, it comes down to working capital and having enough knowledge to set it going; I don't know if you have either, but I do know that if you were serious about it you wouldn't be talking on websites such as this and various truck sites (no offence to the contributors on any of them, some of whom are relevant professionals- but you'd agree it would be more realistic to be talking to professional consultants on a paid professional basis)

eiamunk, there are MANY opportunities for commencing scheduled ferry services- it doesn't take much to identify the real commercial opportunities that are out there at the moment (and differentiate them from the 'wouldn't it be nice if...' type comments).

However, it comes down to working capital and having enough knowledge to set it going; I don't know if you have either, but I do know that if you were serious about it you wouldn't be talking on websites such as this and various truck sites (no offence to the contributors on any of them, some of whom are relevant professionals- but you'd agree it would be more realistic to be talking to professional consultants on a paid professional basis)

Glad you have said this !, this guy seems to be spending a lot of time talking to a handful of gullible people on various sites, especially the Dover one, who seem to think he is going to return a service to Ramsgate 8-). When Curt Stavis started SpeedFerries he ended up going through nearly 3 million just to get to the start line!!

Hi I do not see mails like this as acceptable on these forums and honestly hope admin will begin to stop them. I have worked on these projects many months before I send the first mails to these forums. Why shall I not have the freedom as all others to discuss ferries on the channel.

No one knows what professionals from the transport trade I have talked with these months, if you do not like these forums then leave, there are 2 ships available to make a good service to a economical rate

Glad you have said this !, this guy seems to be spending a lot of time talking to a handful of gullible people on various sites, especially the Dover one, who seem to think he is going to return a service to Ramsgate 8-). When Curt Stavis started SpeedFerries he ended up going through nearly 3 million just to get to the start line!!

Hi I do not see mails like this as acceptable on these forums and honestly hope admin will begin to stop them. I have worked on these projects many months before I send the first mails to these forums. Why shall I not have the freedom as all others to discuss ferries on the channel.

No one knows what professionals from the transport trade I have talked with these months, if you do not like these forums then leave, there are 2 ships available to make a good service to a economical rate

Its a forum where he is permitted to express his views and opinion.

yes but I leave all forums and pages and stop comments and info

so you all can discuss while I act

Its a forum where he is permitted to express his views and opinion.

yes but I leave all forums and pages and stop comments and info

so you all can discuss while I act

We will look forward to seeing your service, but until we do many of us will remain sceptical, as we hear too many here saying they are starting a service and it never materialises.

Guest CaptainPugwash

The company I managed before setting up on my own got together with another 2 investors (that I know about- maybe more) to look at setting up their own ferry service (they would in fact have been their own customer due to the units they currently put through existing services).

The group MD even went as far as commissioning a professional mariner to design an operational business model (muggins here was responsible for fleshing out the commercial model). The MD spent well over £100,000 on consultants just to decide that the project was not viable.

Between the group, stumping up £3m (using Mr Stavis as an example) would have been no problem, as would subsidising the early loss making period (vertical integration- remember we would be our own customer). HOWEVER, it was decided that whilst it COULD be done for £XM, in reality it would probably need £XXM just to be sure.

The point being thus:

A) We spent £150,000 (approx.) just on developing a business plan, before we even registered a ltd co, made a website etc etc etc

B) At no point did any of us come onto a boat/truck/bus/car enthusiast site to ask people whether they thought it a good idea*. Yes, we did market research but not like this.

(*no offence intended to anyone here or on any forum, but you see my point)

So Mr eiamunk- I REALLY DO wish you luck and I would like to be the first to sail on your ship and say "I was wrong". But I have been involved in this on a professional level and I know you're in for a rough and expensive ride.

PS were you behind 'Regina Ferries'?

This is a lively forum. Forum being the key word here. If you are choosing to come on here and outline your idea then you need to be prepared to receive enthusiastic support, suggestions, criticism or sceptism. I would suggest you search some of the threads on here over the many years that this site has been in operation. It would provide valuable insight in to the members, their views and the passionate debate that exists on here. You would expect that anyone entering a forum or perhaps a business would be prepared to be challenged and would have done some research in advance.

Ernst

I have in many years managed some open ships,open freight groups

I have not any connection with regina ferries and have never wanted it. I could not see they could servive without tax free.

I have tried to begin a line to norway

purchase 5 fastferries from itally, they ended to be scrapped to a surprising low price.

Looked in some months on swansea- cork

and now the 2 projects Tunis- Italy where most of the freight is prebooked and Ostende-Ramsgate, 5 ships in total have being offered by a owner,but the money to pay the bunkers is very high, so in the basic plans, especially in the med, we are not using the full speed possibility. But still do the roundturns we have being asked about to do minimum

The company I managed before setting up on my own got together with another 2 investors (that I know about- maybe more) to look at setting up their own ferry service (they would in fact have been their own customer due to the units they currently put through existing services).

The group MD even went as far as commissioning a professional mariner to design an operational business model (muggins here was responsible for fleshing out the commercial model). The MD spent well over £100,000 on consultants just to decide that the project was not viable.

Between the group, stumping up £3m (using Mr Stavis as an example) would have been no problem, as would subsidising the early loss making period (vertical integration- remember we would be our own customer). HOWEVER, it was decided that whilst it COULD be done for £XM, in reality it would probably need £XXM just to be sure.

The point being thus:

A) We spent £150,000 (approx.) just on developing a business plan, before we even registered a ltd co, made a website etc etc etc

B) At no point did any of us come onto a boat/truck/bus/car enthusiast site to ask people whether they thought it a good idea*. Yes, we did market research but not like this.

(*no offence intended to anyone here or on any forum, but you see my point)

So Mr eiamunk- I REALLY DO wish you luck and I would like to be the first to sail on your ship and say "I was wrong". But I have been involved in this on a professional level and I know you're in for a rough and expensive ride.

PS were you behind 'Regina Ferries'?

Ernst

I have in many years managed some open ships,open freight groups

I have not any connection with regina ferries and have never wanted it. I could not see they could servive without tax free.

I have tried to begin a line to norway

purchase 5 fastferries from itally, they ended to be scrapped to a surprising low price.

Looked in some months on swansea- cork

and now the 2 projects Tunis- Italy where most of the freight is prebooked and Ostende-Ramsgate, 5 ships in total have being offered by a owner,but the money to pay the bunkers is very high, so in the basic plans, especially in the med, we are not using the full speed possibility. But still do the roundturns we have being asked about to do minimum

On a personal note, I would rather like this forum to remain a place for discussion between enthusiasts, not a lobbying place for professionals. I am currently employed by a very large ferry port authority and as a consequence I restrain myself from commenting on matters directly linked to this organisation.