Sign in to follow this  
The Ferry Man

Brittany Ferries "new Service" The Torpoint Ferry to Spain...

Re: Brittany Ferries "new Service" The Torpoint Ferry to Spain...

Lasting five minutes is a figure of speech - now that is a very well known expression! Things lasting five minutes is what technology is all about nowadays, all about parting people from their money like everything else. When it comes to the consumer who will shell out for it, you are generally taken for a mug. Yes, technology has improved us, but in a way it hasn't - it has made us more stupid as we rely too much on it instead of using our noddles. With satnav all the working out is done for us, instead of us using our heads to read and work out directions from a map. Technology does most things for us, makes life easier but makes us more stupid at the same time as parts of the brain aren't being used. If you don't use it you'll lose it!!

Again those of us that have the knowledge to be able to use old fashioned methods are in a much better position than those who simply rely on gadgets for everything. I like the best of both worlds, much more enriching than having to have the latest phone/computer/telly - satnav. That couple's sat nav didn't do them any favours did it? Again, useful tool, but don't rely entirely on it, use common sense.

So right. Trying to find a hotel or point of ineterest in a major European city - advance warning of danger areas - live updates of traffic queues and alternative clear routes to avoid them - road works ahead - petrol stations - points of interest - even live weather reports on the route and at destination. Just can't imagine anyone trying to drive and read a map on a motorway or in heavy city traffic. Where would we be without technology? I know... lost and looking for a 'phone box !

A Sat Nav is only as useful as its user. If you program rubbish you will get rubbish out. If I want to go to St Ives for example, I type in St Ives, mine doesn't prompt me whether I want St Ives in Cornwall or the other one. However if I select one of them, and start driving it requires me to know whether I am roughly heading the correct direction.

They also rely on drivers of large vehicles to ensure they have programmed they are driving a large vehicle, or we end up with incidents like these:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Photos-Sat-nav-blunder-sees-lorry-driver-wedge/story-18031506-detail/story.html#axzz2WqW8Fr6E

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6821710/German-lorry-drivers-Sat-Nav-blunder-made-him-crash-in-narrow-country-lane.html

I use mine as an aid, but I ensure before leaving home I know roughly which roads I need to aim for, such as knowing in my head I need A30 towards exeter, M5 north to Taunton, A358 towards A303, towards, M3 north to get to London. I then have an idea of where I am heading and use the Sat Nav for precision, but if it starts sending me the wrong way I will notice from my directions I've remembered in my head.

A Sat Nav is only as useful as its user. If you program rubbish you will get rubbish out. If I want to go to St Ives for example, I type in St Ives, mine doesn't prompt me whether I want St Ives in Cornwall or the other one. However if I select one of them, and start driving it requires me to know whether I am roughly heading the correct direction.

They also rely on drivers of large vehicles to ensure they have programmed they are driving a large vehicle, or we end up with incidents like these:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Photos-Sat-nav-blunder-sees-lorry-driver-wedge/story-18031506-detail/story.html#axzz2WqW8Fr6E

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6821710/German-lorry-drivers-Sat-Nav-blunder-made-him-crash-in-narrow-country-lane.html

I use mine as an aid, but I ensure before leaving home I know roughly which roads I need to aim for, such as knowing in my head I need A30 towards exeter, M5 north to Taunton, A358 towards A303, towards, M3 north to get to London. I then have an idea of where I am heading and use the Sat Nav for precision, but if it starts sending me the wrong way I will notice from my directions I've remembered in my head.

Well said - I think we all know where the local shops are ! and some of us still know how to use a "slide rule" before the introduction of calculators !

However we have to be fairly smart to use the gadgets today and I ditched my 35mm roll film camera ages ago for the new digital models. I have nothing against anyone who wants to live in the past. ;)

Having a sat-nav has never interested me. Give me a map and I will memorise my route. I have done many thousand of miles visiting clients in Eorope.

I admit to being lost once. I left Saarbrucken and needed to go to Luxembourg. I got on an Autobahn and soon realised that I was going north rather than west.

Soon solved with the assistance of road workers.

A Sat Nav is only as useful as its user. If you program rubbish you will get rubbish out....

...I use mine as an aid, but I ensure before leaving home I know roughly which roads I need to aim for, such as knowing in my head I need A30 towards exeter, M5 north to Taunton, A358 towards A303, towards, M3 north to get to London. I then have an idea of where I am heading and use the Sat Nav for precision, but if it starts sending me the wrong way I will notice from my directions I've remembered in my head.

I quite agree. That pretty much sums up my approach to technology - don't use it if you have no clue whatsoever on whether you can trust what it gives you back. I think it's good for everyone to have an expected answer or at least some understanding of what the technology has given back, as otherwise you could fall into a trap of taking it as gospel and being naive/ ignorant enough to believe that it is 100% right everytime and requires no user input or further thought.

For example, I once impressed an interviewer during a phone interview for a job at a french holiday firm (which I eventually declined, but that's not relevant!) by explaining how I'd do a rough bit of mental arithmetic when calculating a percentage first, as to be sure that I could trust whatever the calculator eventually gave me.*

The key with technology is to understand it, not rely on it, and accept that it has limitations and that you need some basic knowledge yourself of whatever the technology helps you to do.

*It was also a useful stalling tactic as I tried to desperately remember the formula to work our percentages. Turned out it wasn't needed, as my rough answer was spot on in the first place!

I find the place I'm going to on Google Earth and put in the longitude and latitude from that. Once just to see how accurate it was I got the readings for a specific lane on the checking in area at Plymouth and it took me to it! Don't use postcodes because these cover an area. The signing in Plymouth for the Continental ports has improved but is still poor. They are very useful for solo driving around say Birmingham between the M1 and M5. Told exactly which lane to be in and a photo shown of the actual junction with the correct lane highlighted.

Ray

I find the place I'm going to on Google Earth and put in the longitude and latitude from that. Once just to see how accurate it was I got the readings for a specific lane on the checking in area at Plymouth and it took me to it! Don't use postcodes because these cover an area. The signing in Plymouth for the Continental ports has improved but is still poor. They are very useful for solo driving around say Birmingham between the M1 and M5. Told exactly which lane to be in and a photo shown of the actual junction with the correct lane highlighted.

Ray

.....and thanks to SatNav.....BF ferries arrive at the right port to pick you up !;)

Don't use postcodes because these cover an area.

Ray

Some years ago an employee at a factory in Peterborough phoned for the ambulance quoting the postcode. The sat nav took the ambulance to the main postal sorting office where the box number was held. I think that they have sorted that one, now.

I did this route a few years ago, It was a very fast crossing and they didn't even check my passport !

The on board facilities were non existent and it was so quick I didn't have had time to drink my coffee !

:D:D:D:D

Some years ago an employee at a factory in Peterborough phoned for the ambulance quoting the postcode. The sat nav took the ambulance to the main postal sorting office where the box number was held. I think that they have sorted that one, now.

I am aware of many companies who suffer this issue, as their office phones are routed into head office wherever that is and then redirects to the relevant phone which may not be in the same part of the country. I know if we call out from work it doesn't show a local code for the area of the country we are in!

Interesting discussion regarding sat nav. Recently in San Diego our hire car sat nav packed in, luckily my phone was a great substitute, found restaurants, attractions etc. and all with an English accent!!!

Can't really fault the technology.

Slightly related, when i was a kid we holidayed in France with my cousins, the hours we spent waiting at a pre-arranged rendezvous point not knowing how long our family would be. No problem now with mobile phones.