Sign in to follow this  
eagleeye

blast from the past

Re: blast from the past

Thanks for posting...

Must be old......early 1970's?

Cowes looked dated too!!!

There used to be an SRN6 in pieces at the edge of the car park in Southampton Dock gate 4. I wonder if it is the same one?

I have often wondered if it would be possible to have a vehicle carrying composite hovercraft with diesel engines... at a cost that would be economic.

With the retirement of Hydrofoils, Hovercraft, ships like the Finnjet etcConcorde we do live in slightly less exciting times IMHO.

I have often wondered if it would be possible to have a vehicle carrying composite hovercraft with diesel engines... at a cost that would be economic.

With the retirement of Hydrofoils, Hovercraft, ships like the Finnjet etcConcorde we do live in slightly less exciting times IMHO.

We are thinking on the same wavelength!

I have often wondered about a composite SR.N4 Mk III, maybe slightly bigger, with more efficient engines, props...

Hovercraft technology has come a long way since the 60s when they were built... yet despite that the next-gen Car carrying craft never came, which is a shame I think

according to county press on fri last week hovertravel are investing £10 million pound on two new hovercraft for ryde to southsea .front loading for quicker turnarounds and holding between 85 to 95 passengers first one in service october 2015 and second one 2016.

That is a good vid, and one I've held on my favourites for a while now.

It dates from 1974, when that particular craft (Freedom) was new, or at least the centre section (cabin section) was new. The hull was actually built up from parts re-used from the craft that overturned a couple of years earlier.

Freedom stayed with Hovertravel until 1984, when she was bought by Eurosense in Belgium, and converted with flat side decks for survey work in Belgium, and was eventually scrapped in 1989.

Skipcool3, the craft you saw in pieces in Southampton by Dock Gate 4 was the one currently preserved in the hanger at the Hovercraft Museum (Sea Hawk). She spent a decade or so in undercover storage at Portchester, after her stay in that car park, before then being moved to the Hovercraft Museum.

Exciting times for the Portsmouth to Ryde service, and I look forward to seeing the new craft!

Doug

Quoted from a post on Facebook yesterday saw the pictures so it is true.

“Today they started breaking up the SRN4 cross Channel Hovercraft Princess Margaret at the Hovercraft museum Lee on Solent”

Another old girl  bites the dust.

Edited by Khaines

I think that was always going to happen. Preserving both craft long term was never going to be likely and Princess Anne is in better condition than Princess Margaret (rather like their namesakes!). The propellers from Margaret are to be fitted to Anne as are no doubt other parts.

I visited the museum a while back and we were able to clamber all over the Anne. I was struck by just how small the cockpit is. perched high up on the cabin and reached by a retractable ladder. There is a very poor field of view from up there too so it is not possible to see anything close to the craft. I don't know if they were fitted with cameras but anything than a forward facing one would have been blanketed by spray.

Edited by cvabishop

Many years ago I went out with of the female crew and was lucky enough to go over to Calais in the cockpit, yes very tiny, two up front like a plane and on the starboard side was the radar operator, this was the days before daylight viewing screens and he was surrounded by a blackout curtain, all his job was to plot targets. They had to park the cars carefully so there was room to put the ladder down, very heath robinson.  Yes the view was bad, and no cameras anywhere.