Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenw

Marine Hotel (Mercure) or alternatives?

Dear all

We're planning a few days in Cherbourg. The Mercure looks good – a friend of mine recommends both rooms and the terrasse for long lunches. And we get the Accor Club points (which have just saved us £30 off our next Portsmouth Ibis en route to Ouistreham).

Any experience / feedback?

What are the other hotels like? Preferably with a bar / terrasse so that if my "tin leg" is misbehaving I can sit and read for an hour or two with a couple of drinks.

TIA

Ken

Re: Marine Hotel (Mercure) or alternatives?

The Mercure is no longer the Mercure, Kenw. I didn't think that the Marine, its successor, is anything to do with Accor. There are plans to incorporate a new Mercure in the Eleis shopping centre, but that will take a while. Will you have transport over here?

If you don't have transport then the Marine is still an excellent choice (don't miss the jazz club, that welcomes visitors, on Sunday early evenings). The only Accor choices are at La Glacerie, someway out of town. La Regence, a restaurant with rooms, on the Quai Caligny may fit the bill, but there are several alternatives. I mention La Regence because I know that their meals are excellent and the accommodation is used by the many visitors on business at the Flamanville nuclear installation. On the other hand, if you have a car, then look at St Vaast (Les Fuschias or La Granite), Cartaret (L'Angleterre or Les Iles), or Bricquebec (Le Vieux Chateau).

I do not have evidence of other hotels, but I am sure that there are many good options - however, it is rare to leave a table dissatisfied with either the quality or the value in this area of Normandie.

We had a very good meal in La Regance (it is also a Logis hotel) last summer, and spent a comfortable night here in June, when trying to sort a boat out in the marina.

If you have transport then I would agree that St.Vaast has a nicer "holiday" feel to it.

Again, we have stayed at La Granitier, the owner / host is character but it has a breakfast room only (I don't recall a bar) and is a fair stroll in to town.

Strange - the Accor website still lists the Mercure / Marine under the Mercure umbrella.

But we've since looked at La Régence, but when we enquired about next year were told

"Je vous invite à me contacter fin décembre pour les réservations de 2014.

Sincères salutations."

So that's probably the plan.

Have enjoyed both Carteret and St Vaast in former times, but these days we are foot passengers (confirmed city dwellers who firmly believe in "let the train take the strain – if that doesn't give our aged away).

The train to St. Vaast stopped running around 1950! Incidentally it was known in the local dialect as "Tu Vacques", literally the "cow killer"!

I have just booked a night there and it is an Accor hotel but else where it is a Mercure!

What is it like any one stayed there ?