Sign in to follow this  
Andy

LD Lines Poole to Santander/Gijon (was Norman Asturais to Santander)

Re: Norman Asturais to Santander

The latest on AIS is that Norman Asturais is due in at 23.00hrs and Barfleur will be on the berth so we will see where they put them and who has what and where. beat me to it Seadog but didn't know about the divert to pompey

This is getting interesting, the problems people said could happen are happening on the first crossing.

BF seems to think Barfleur will vacate the berth for NA while she unloads then NA will vacate after unloading so Barf can stay alongside overnight, must be a pain for Barfleurs crew but Poole will be busy.

Not wanting to state the obvious and maybe got the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if this is the case - but hasn't Barfleur been on that berth at that time for how long now? So how come this diversion and muddle? Getting interesting, most certainly is - and confusing....

Guest Finisterre

Why can't Poole Port insist that the Barfleur goes out to allow the Norman Asurais alongside? If it doesn't interfear with Brittany's passengers then what is the problem? Doesn't seem like a good way to look after their latest customer!

140 Miles from Poole doing 22 knots, the 0900 ETA seems odd.

She will discharge in Portsmouth tonight and then sail round to Poole for the morning. Once the BF has cleared the channel NA will enter, load and then sail at 1200

She's late due to weather Khaines, anyway Seadog is right, its been diverted to Portsmouth so ignore most of my last post!

Why can't Poole Port insist that the Barfleur goes out to allow the Norman Asurais alongside? If it doesn't interfear with Brittany's passengers then what is the problem? Doesn't seem like a good way to look after their latest customer!

But it probably depends what parking rates there are for different positions or a berth for the night and who has booked the spot.

Hi, thanks for people correcting me. I did say I may have got it wrong as far as Poole was concerned. How much do you think it would cost Poole to deepen the Condor berth or even refurbish the redundant Ro-Ro 1 berth?

I've only been to Poole once and that was 15 years ago- the Barf was still in Truckline livery!!!!

I wonder if this is a mad ploy by LD to lull BF into a false sense of security by going to Poole, when their real intention was Portsmouth lol!

I'd imagine that BF and PHC will have an agreement in place about who has what slot and how that works when BF are late. If LD are late then I wouldn't imagine BF would go out of their way to accommodate them. BF may have fuel bunkering planned, minor maintenance or crew rosters arranged around being sat on the berth all night. If it was a case that LD were liable for the costs incurred by BF to untie, move and pay staff etc, LD may have decided that Portsmouth was a better option.

Doubtless there would be clauses that kick in about berthing rights where an operator is not running all the services they committed to run or an agreement to assist in an emergency though. Being late, as in a variety of other transport modes means the late runner usually has to deal with the situation and not the operators who are on time.

End of the day Brittany ferries and are Queen of Poole harbour the Barfleur should come first and yes I think this Whole new services by LD was done on the back off a fag packet and done it so fast with out thinking about when the ship get in to Poole ok you can blame PHC for part of this to you would of thought PHC would sorted this out so you don't get in a mess when you got two ships in the harbour that both need to the port. I hope some think well get done soon

Bretagne and NA are passing each other at the moment according to marine traffic. Don't look that far apart but difficult to tell.

Barfleur snug in her berth......

What a shambles! After this it can only get better! I did hear NA was supposed to dock at Portsmouth at 0100hrs but according to MarineTraffic she's currently about level with the southern tip of the IoW so it looks as if it's going to be a bit later than 0100hrs. It does occur to me that maybe the Captain didn't want to have to negotiate the deepwater channel in Poole Harbour for the first time at night. Maybe LD Lines will have to look again at the schedules. Perhaps a 1900hrs arrival time is cutting it a bit fine with BARFLEUR due at 2200hrs and she has priority on the berth -- blocking move did someone say. Pity NA's first call wasn't tomorrow when it's the first of BARFLEUR's overnights and the berth would be free. NA was delayed in the Western Channel by bad weather but I don't know at what time she would have been at the Bar Buoy as a result. I hope the Captain has made the right decisions. I can see the management having issues with him if he hasn't!

What a shambles! After this it can only get better! I did hear NA was supposed to dock at Portsmouth at 0100hrs but according to MarineTraffic she's currently about level with the southern tip of the IoW so it looks as if it's going to be a bit later than 0100hrs. It does occur to me that maybe the Captain didn't want to have to negotiate the deepwater channel in Poole Harbour for the first time at night. Maybe LD Lines will have to look again at the schedules. Perhaps a 1900hrs arrival time is cutting it a bit fine with BARFLEUR due at 2200hrs and she has priority on the berth -- blocking move did someone say. Pity NA's first call wasn't tomorrow when it's the first of BARFLEUR's overnights and the berth would be free. NA was delayed in the Western Channel by bad weather but I don't know at what time she would have been at the Bar Buoy as a result. I hope the Captain has made the right decisions. I can see the management having issues with him if he hasn't!

on AIS it looks like she is staying off Sandown for the night as she is now down to 1 Knot and have been for about 20 Mins now.

So have Portsmouth port refused her to dock or something?

it looks like a right mess up!!!!!

Maybe no pilot available?

Further, why should the Barfleur move off the berth in Poole ?

Why should the bf crew have to stand by and the company be put to the extra steaming costs? !!!!!

Maybe no pilot available?

Further, why should the Barfleur move off the berth in Poole ?

Why should the bf crew have to stand by and the company be put to the extra steaming costs? !!!!!

Blocking move!

If NA is spending the night off the Isle of Wight she may as well scrub round Portsmouth and go to Poole as originally scheduled. BARFLEUR sails at 0830hrs and won't be back until 0700hrs on Wednesday so NA will have the berth to herself for the day though she's scheduled to sail at noon. I don't know what NA's pax think of this. "LD Lines' Magical Mystery Cruise!"

Blocking move!

If NA is spending the night off the Isle of Wight she may as well scrub round Portsmouth and go to Poole as originally scheduled. BARFLEUR sails at 0830hrs and won't be back until 0700hrs on Wednesday so NA will have the berth to herself for the day though she's scheduled to sail at noon. I don't know what NA's pax think of this. "LD Lines' Magical Mystery Cruise!"

She is now on the move towards Portsmouth.

i take it that any passengers that are on board now can spend the night on board and not be kicked off in the middle of the night?

She is now on the move towards Portsmouth.

i take it that any passengers that are on board now can spend the night on board and not be kicked off in the middle of the night?

I suppose they could be given the choice. Some, I suspect, will be only too glad to get off the wretched thing and be on their way. One does wonder if LD will consider switching the whole thing to Portsmouth after this fiasco. PHC really should have got on with things. They've been on about a larger berth for years but what happens? Nothing! Oh well!

If such a move eventuates how long will BF keep BARFLEUR in service? Not very long, I fear!

Ships are always being delayed and Skippers think on the hoof, in his day and age instant comms means shore side often gets too involved but ultimately the old man carries the can and decides.

Too many variables at play with pilotage thrown aswell, I am sure the run will settle down.

Barf is safe in Poole till end of next year, then THAT year comes in so she might br for the chop anyway regardless of anything else.