PHC Open evening.

quincy

Re: PHC Open evening.

The growth of pleasure craft and the associated wealth this generates by way of mooring fees, maintenance, use of local services can"t be ignored. It is obvious that MDL have been quietly working on their plan for a while, too.

It is often difficult to get a mooring in Poole at the week end without booking, and if the weather is iffy would be loathe to book and not honour it and subsequently be black listed. Neither is battering out past Hurst with novice sailors or guests..... Consequently four boat loads of people (say 28 people) go elsewhere and happily spend their money elsewhere.

Whilst I think that the PHC do a good job, I would suggest that everything seems to take too long...

No, I don't want Poole harbour to be wrecked, but four years in and all we have is an impact assessment and some plans.....

G4rth- please don't assume you know what I would like.

It matters not one iota to me personally what happens concerning building a new marina in Poole.

If sailing myself to Poole I would often prefer to tie up to a mooring in south deep away from the town and enjoy the environment that is Poole harbour.

I still say that 4 years is too long - but that is just my own view.......

It could be argued that all that will happen if a marina is built it will quickly fill with rich people's (unused!) boats and not solve the problem of available visitor berths in Poole.

Having a facility for visitors will encourage people to come and spend money in Poole which it needs I would suggest.

Work on a marina does not have to be at the exclusion of the commercial facility and any improvements needed there.

What a remarkable coincidence it is that two quite separate entities should suddenly "pop up" at Poole as if the result of last minute decisions when in fact they may have been quietly working on their plans for some time. If MDL's Poole Quay marina project is much more advanced than one initially supposed then maybe The Crown Estate's final decision may not be postponed. It rather seems as if PHC were lulled into a sense of false security by MDL's original opposition to their marina project. However they don't seem to have allowed for MDL changing their minds and going forward on the basis of something like "if you can't beat them, join them!" Or at least putting forward their own plans achievable in a shorter timescale than PHC's.

Archived