Vegetarian food in France

Out of interest, due to being mentioned elsewhere on the forum, what is the 'vegetarian option' stance in France. I'm not a veggie but do like some veggie food. What is the usual take on vegetarian food in France?

Just wondering.:)

Re: Vegetarian food in France

There is the nearest branch of Subway for a Veggie Delight I suppose, if they do VGs in the French branches. MacDs have a different menu to over here, so looked at the French Subway one, theirs is pretty identical to here. Can have frites and petit salads in Macs suppose! But they are fast food options..

The French are strong on molluscs...

And Snails and Frogs legs etal plus some of their really disgusting Andouillette (sorry to my French friends and colleagues). I'm not hot on their Seafood either (but that's definitely a personal choice). Everything else is just great but beware if you ask for a healthy eating alternative. We took some business visitors out for an evening meal in a chic Nantes bistro recently. The "standard" food was generally good but I just wanted something a little less calorific with a steak so asked for veg only - I was served a delightful veg mix dripping with oil and butter:D One of the visitors wanted vegetarian and got what I can only describe as cardboard.

When I went to live in France (nearly 40 years ago) I decided to try the local fare.

Frog's legs - like mini chicken legs. Will never order again.

Escargot - a bit chewey but, with garlic butter, I put them in my favorite list.

There are other dishes. Before I went to France, I had not had 'escalope a la creme', now it is also in my favorite list (with Calvados or Armangac)

Steak tartare?

In Carrefour I always feel sorry for the lobsters in that tank with their claws bound.

Also, regarding French veg, in Carrefour I buy the haricots beurre (white French beans), can't find them anywhere in the UK.

You can get an omelet with cheese or herbs or mushrooms with chips or / and salad in most bistros....

Quite. It's not very refined or healthy though and I think that's the point that their cuisine has to catch up with today's expectations for vegetarian food.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm veggie and have been eating in France for years with few problems, if you are self-catering then it is fine as obviously there is a wide range of food available although fewer veggie ready meals than in the UK. In restaurants you can order a main meal without the meat or fish and just have the vegetables but they will probably charge you the same price. So omelettes, pizzas, pastas, crepes and couscous with vegetable sauce are better value. In Paris and big cities there are veggie restaurants but rarely out in the sticks. My son is a student in Paris and many of the student cafes there do veggie options and a lot of the overseas students are veggie. Subway do sell a veggie delight in France by the way, it's called Le Steak Vegetarian.

You have to watch out for hidden ingredients, I realised the other day that the leek tarte I had been buying from the freezer section contains some extract of fish, revolting and unnecessary but frozen crepes with fromages are recommended.

As was observed most of the French don't really get vegetarianism, I think they see it as another example of English eccentricity, ironic as we are referred to as les rosbifs!

I think the chef on Barfleur thought I wanted a vegetarian breakfast - he did ask as I just wanted the tomato, hash browns and eggs. It was nice of him to ask, although I just wanted something light. I didn't get to do the steak and chips as I thought it was early boarding and planned for it as an evening meal. But as it wasn't didn't want to eat late, not sure if they were serving when we boarded, just grabbed a coffee. Was very quiet in the self service!!

I wouldn't disagree with anything said in the previous posts, except to say that down here in the deep South (!!) I've noticed a greater wish from restaurateurs in recent years to cater for veggies. they're responding to demand.

Its not for me, but I've seen some really attractive dishes served - a tarte with peppers, toms, onion, maybe some anchovy, etc,etc.

I won't be going over to the 'Dark Side' just yet though!

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread as I found Cherbourg's Subway the other day whilst over there. For those who want salady English things. As a regular user over here, was quite impressed - the do English tea, plus great terrace seating.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Subway/@49.640559,-1.623648,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x49fcdc42fad7fb40

Zut alors! Subway has it's uses (it's about the only reason I'll venture into Aldershot), but really worth giving a try to somewhere local where you'll probably get something much fresher for much less.

Zut alors! Subway has it's uses (it's about the only reason I'll venture into Aldershot), but really worth giving a try to somewhere local where you'll probably get something much fresher for much less.

There is (or at least was) an excellent sandwich shop in St Pol De Leon last time I visited. Subway kind of thing but local independent trader. Crusty rolls with meat and salad I think was about 3-4 Euros. I cant remember if the drink was included or extra. I cant find the shop on streetview but I parked in the car park at Place Michel Colombe and it was only 1-2 minute walk away.

I only came across Subway by accident - looked for it in the past, but couldn't find it. Like a lot of things, if you stop looking you'll find it!! I just wanted an English tea as I'd already eaten. Apparently the Subcard is only in the UK - free wifi though!!