Sign in to follow this  
Andy

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Re: BF and STX to develop 'Eco-ferry'

should imagine it would take over from current pont aven operations, with PA moving to St Malo routes, it'll be probably up to another 5 years before we see it as a minimum i'd guess with design construction and all the other processes involved

- thats a lot of passengers... what route? a Spain route seems likely maybe? A replacement to the Cap Finistere?

Similar specs to PA.

thats why I thought a replacement for the Cap Finistere - have both Spain vessels have similar capacities, onboard stuff etc

Going out on the PA, coming back on the CF, I should think you would notice the difference

thats why I thought a replacement for the Cap Finistere - have both Spain vessels have similar capacities, onboard stuff etc

Going out on the PA, coming back on the CF, I should think you would notice the difference

The problem is, that CF is supposedly better suited to the route (at least to making money on the route) because of her enormous freight capacity - remember BF's quote about expecting to succeed where P&O failed because "we have the right ship for the job"?

BTW, I've experienced both CF and PA minicruises to Santander over the winter, and have very happily booked CF both ways for my next trip to Spain. Of course, PA is the grander ship, but CF is excellent as well.

Perhaps if Bilbao works as BF wants, a third ship for Spain, keeping one on a Plymouth rotation and two on Portsmouth. That's being optimistic from a westcountry point of view.

Perhaps if Bilbao works as BF wants, a third ship for Spain, keeping one on a Plymouth rotation and two on Portsmouth. That's being optimistic from a westcountry point of view.

They have a third though with the Cotentin

Or perhaps BF might consider a future route to Lisbon or Vigo?

That Would be a way to get more Motorways of the Sea funding, but I don't see the viability of going that far south (for passenger traffic anyway)

I'm sure this eco-ferry would more resemble the "Viking Line Newbuilding", powered by Liquefied Natural Gas, have a very high power output and speed (27/28 kn) and have lots of room for freight (to cover the costs). I think an X-Bow is too revolutionary at the moment - it would cost a lot to put an X-Bow on a ferry (L)

James

just been looking on irish ferries enthusiasts, and theres a thread there saying this is confirmed to be happening, although i see no mention of it anywhere here as a confirmed contract, IFE comments it being signed on 18th April.

in the same thread it says that barfleur was re-offered for sale on the 19th April officially. yet again no comments on this forum regarding so, which makes me sceptical of the comments on IFE

That's interesting!

Have you got the link?

i found it googling something completley different, i took it with a pinch of salt tbh, its in the brittany ferries thread on IFE tho

I reckon the ship will NOT be a x-bow due to cost and I don't particularly like the X-bow in the first place. Maybe it'll look like the Cap Finistere or like one of the cruise liners. The Pont Aven would in my mind be routed onto St Malo and maybe the Bretagne would provide a extra service on the St Malo or open another route. Or provide the Roscoff Plymouth services with the Armorique.

If this ship replaces the Pont Aven and therefore she would move to Saint Malo then could the Bretagne replace the Normandie on the Caen route?

that wouldn't happen - Portsmouth-Caen is double deck, and the Normandie is younger then the Bretagne

if anything it would signal the end for the Bretagne I fear

If this ship replaces the Pont Aven and therefore she would move to Saint Malo then could the Bretagne replace the Normandie on the Caen route?

I think not.

Interestingly STX have just started construction on a new ferry for Viking Line, which is 214m long and 57,000grt.

So this will become the first large passenger ship to use LNG fuel.

More here.

Interestingly STX have just started construction on a new ferry for Viking Line, which is 214m long and 57,000grt.

So this will become the first large passenger ship to use LNG fuel.

More here.

Andy, we will surely not be seeing that on any BF route!

Andy, we will surely not be seeing that on any BF route!
Well as it's being built for Viking Line the chances are slim! 8-)

The interesting point is that the STX now have experience in developing LNG passenger ferries, which will be invaluable for use in their project with BF for an 'eco-ship'. It will be the development of the use of lighter compound materials which will take the most time, for use in a project of this scale.

unlikly as the Bretagne lacks double deck loading. I imagine unless they introduce a new route, with need for extra vessel, it will be Bretagnes retirement!

Why don't they really go for it and build something like Color Magic? A kind of semi cruise ship. It would make a statement!

Why don't they really go for it and build something like Color Magic? A kind of semi cruise ship. It would make a statement!

Having done a trip on this beauty last year, I would agree. It certainly has the vehicular and cargo space.

Having done a trip on this beauty last year, I would agree. It certainly has the vehicular and cargo space.

Not that many lane metres. Too long for most channel ports.