Sign in to follow this  
Andy

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Re: BF and STX to develop 'Eco-ferry'

Unfortunately the garage decks are not big enough for BF. "only" 1700lm.

1700lm is a substantial jump up in Baltic ferry capacity which is dominated by foot passenger traffic looking for Duty Free (as Viking Line and TallinkSilja call at the Aland Islands which are a tax haven like Jersey). The new Viking ships, I think, will have only one vehicle deck. BF would order a ship with 2 vehicle decks with about 2200-ish lanemetres

Maybe bfe can hold a designing competition to see who comes out with the best design.

I like drawing new ferries and their deckplans

Maybe bfe can hold a designing competition to see who comes out with the best design.

I like drawing new ferries and their deckplans

Alas there's a lot more to it than just the look and deckplans

Very nice :) I meant in the context of the inside such as ensuring catering is in the right areas, making allowances for plumbing/electric etc, meeting all the regulations and making sure it floats!

How did you design that

I used the free software Google SketchUp

Looks like a bit of Normandie and MSM

Yeah she was designed as a mix of the two

I am going to try and do something like that - if I can do it

I normally do side desgins on the program 'paint.' They turn out good

The interesting point is that the STX now have experience in developing LNG passenger ferries.

Coupled with the fact the ships will need to comply with Safe Return to Port, they have a real challenge on their hands, but then STX have already built the first three ships in the world to comply with Safe Return to Port.

OK first look at Project Pegasus...

*If you thought Armorique was bad...

http://www.supmaritime.fr/category/19-presentations-intervenants-q-optimisation-energetique-des-navires-de-commerceq.html

You want "Avant-projet de ferry nouvelle génération à faible impact environnemental - Brice ROBINSON & Gildas BONAMY" pg 33...

**Found via a post on FoNE

Looks like some strange cross between Norman Voyager, Spirit of Britain and Viking Grace!

Looks like some strange cross between Norman Voyager, Spirit of Britain and Viking Grace!

Plus also a hint of Normandie & CF.

The elongated bow suggests a Biscay ship to me, and probably also an acceptance that this is the better design for that route.

Well from FoNE

They explain that the ship will serve on the same route as Pont Aven actually, but will be longer, more fuel efficent, will offer more lane meters for freight, and be double deck loading (multipurpose, to be more useful on other bf routes, and fast loading in portsmouth)... You will discover the first artist impression... For me not the best looking ship, look like more spirit of britain/france of P&O...

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/FerriesOfNorthernEurope/message/59147

So... Bretagne goes, Pont-Aven to St Malo, Pegasus to Santander...?

Is it me, or does she look very much more akin to an evolution of Cap Finistere than Pont-Aven, both in looks and vital statics?

No balcony cabins it would seem?

Is it me, or does she look very much more akin to an evolution of Cap Finistere than Pont-Aven, both in looks and vital statics?

No balcony cabins it would seem?

I think the balcony cabins are on the lower deck near the bow

Not much outside space at the stern it seems...

Now you say it, yes it would appear so; at first site it looks like passenger spaces.

It looks like her stern passenger space looks rather like Cap Finistere's.

Ouch! That is ugly!

I note that better sea keeping abilities compared to PA is down as necessary! So they must acknowledge that PA isn't great...

Have to admit she will not win awards for "elegant cruise ship of the year" but then take a look at the Ferry Nessoden featured earlier in the paper and say thank goodness!

PA is exceptionally stylish - the first time we saw her was a couple of years ago in Portsmouth the day before we were due to board for Santander. We were sitting on the waterfront at Gunwharf when this big ship came into harbour. As her bow came into sight, I said to MrsW: that's our ship! She was not convinced until she had read the name for herself!

Personal opinion here, but I don't think the real Pont-Aven had the sleek looks of her artist impressions when she actually arrived. Her funnel looks odly proportioned and her bow is quite stubby compared to the long sleek bow it looked like she was to have. That said she is not ugly and certainly more attractive than a lot of ships. Personally I find Bretagne hidiously ugly (dives for cover), as she looks like a shoe box with an oversize funnel and the bow of a ship twice the size bolted on the front which makes her look even stubbier. That said, most customer don't care about external looks and are more interested in getting on and off quickly, nice places to hang out, value for money edible food, a decent quiet cabin and not to be seasick. So Bretagne ticks those boxes, as does MSM which is again not particularly attractive.

If she has an interior half a stylish as the new Viking Line ship, also being built by STX and seems to share a few general arrangement features particularly the open stern with the mast: http://www.ferryvolution.com/newbuilding-database/viking-line/

Is "Pegasis" likely to have LPG tanks on the stern too?

Is "Pegasis" likely to have LPG tanks on the stern too?

Can;t see how as she is designed with the possibility of Double deck operating...

Well personally I think she looks quite good. Not in a 'traditional' ferry way like the Bretagne or Normandie admittedly, but I personally do like the look of Cap and as suggested the artists impression looks more like the Cap than Pont Aven.

I would level off the bow a little and give it a 'point'.

The artist is obviously a dog fan - he appears to have given her a tail! (L)

Merci pour votre attention

That would be interesting! Reminds me of this TED talk on tiny, powerful nuclear power stations using thorium:

and http://energyfromthorium.com/

There are plenty of nuclear-powered surface ships. May take something to convince the public to travel on a nuclear ferry...

... but if it were possible, then how much easier would it be to have ships the size of Pegasis, travelling at 30... 40... 50... knots (I guess with some streamlining!).

Fanciful perhaps, but in an age after oil maybe we're not to far from nuclear ferry's ?