Sign in to follow this  
Andy

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Re: Project Pegasis: BF and STX to develop 'Eco-ferry'

I don't like the look of the superstructure, those 3 decks above the lifeboats make it look like those ships that Tirrenia enlarged and then sold on to El Salam, one of which sank in the Red Sea a couple years ago.

I don't like it

I could see a better bow design and more blue

The funnel looks odd

If on crossing would prefer Bretagne (she's most likely to go)

Under present circumstances, I can't see this getting off the drawing board. My bet is on another bargain basement Superfast when Greece has a fire sale. Could get a bargain, even if they have to re-engine her to suit new fuel regulations.

Under present circumstances, I can't see this getting off the drawing board. My bet is on another bargain basement Superfast when Greece has a fire sale. Could get a bargain, even if they have to re-engine her to suit new fuel regulations.

They're not likely to replace PA (2400 passengers, 650 cabins) with an older CF "sister" (800 passengers, 250 cabins) for Spain. Are they?

But does the PA even need replacing though?

As project Pagasis will be for Spain, I assumed PA would then replace Bretagne on St Malo.

Surely if a new eco friendly ship is built Portsmouth is the major market for spain and the cost advantages would be greater over the longer distance sailing from there.

I don't understand sorry.

I don't understand sorry.

I think the idea is that whilst the catchment potential from Portsmouth is possibly better, there is a cost to factor in for the increase in distance compared to Plymouth - Spain. If you can cancel out that cost with cheaper alternative fuel, you could possibly make more from the catchment potential.

If anyone has been on a return from Spain to Portsmouth they will know how painful that slow chug up to Portsmouth can be after a long crossing. I would always much rather hop off at Plymouth. That was also save the company a lot of fuel and means they could also utilise the hours saved on the schedule. Mini cruise options too....

If anyone has been on a return from Spain to Portsmouth they will know how painful that slow chug up to Portsmouth can be after a long crossing. I would always much rather hop off at Plymouth. That was also save the company a lot of fuel and means they could also utilise the hours saved on the schedule. Mini cruise options too....

The shortest route between 2 points is not necessarily the most profitable. Some people might prefer to spend a little longer sailing to Portsmouth than driving from Plymouth, though the crossing time is now comparable from both ports.

Living in the region myself, there is a perception amongst a lot of the country that Plymouth (and the whole West Country) is a long way from anywhere. Most people tend to like to drive in 2-3 hour sessions and the perception is that Plymouth is too far a drive.

Living in the region myself, there is a perception amongst a lot of the country that Plymouth (and the whole West Country) is a long way from anywhere. Most people tend to like to drive in 2-3 hour sessions and the perception is that Plymouth is too far a drive.

The perception is only ever going to be based on the circumstances of the individual. Sailing from Spain and staying onboard to Plymouth rather than Portsmouth or vice versa is not the point if simply deciding that Plymouth is better for the route to Spain because it is shorter.

The economics of a route are going to vary and it's too simple to equate distance - fuel = saving. What is the potential of the catchment area ? What is the economic demographic ? Can you sell more of your higher priced 'yield managed wizardry' from one or the other ? Do more people driving further mean they eat more and spend more on board......?

There are loads to consider and probably a few bean counters at BF who can answer some of the questions. Building a fuel efficient ship doesn't mean that they need to use her on the shortest version of the route to capitalise on the cost efficiencies.

Is Pegasis too long for Plymouth? She will be 25 metres longer than Pont-Aven. If BF want to continue operating form Plymouth wouldn't they keep Pont-Aven and replace Cap Finistre?

Is Pegasis too long for Plymouth? She will be 25 metres longer than Pont-Aven. If BF want to continue operating form Plymouth wouldn't they keep Pont-Aven and replace Cap Finistre?

Plymouth can take upto 215m length.

The new Viking Grace is absolutely stunning ! I don't know why BF don't follow and inspire their new designs from the baltic cruise ferries ...

The new Viking Grace is absolutely stunning ! I don't know why BF don't follow and inspire their new designs from the baltic cruise ferries ...

It certainly is an impressive ship but I believe she is also costing a lot of money. I think it's about 250m Euros whilst Pont-Aven was 100m Euros. There's 10 years between then but inflation's not that great!

No doubt she'll be worth the money but the Baltic ships rely heavily on year round passenger and some car traffic with freight being minimal. With a strong emphasis on "cruises" and revenue from duty free the Baltic ships need to compete on style and substance. A big factor in this is direct competition between Viking Line and Silja Line on the same routes sailing at the same time, something the Western Channel hasn't seen since P&O closed Le Havre and Cherbourg, plus intense competition on the Tallinn route against Tallink and Eckero Line.

It certainly is an impressive ship but I believe she is also costing a lot of money. I think it's about 250m Euros whilst Pont-Aven was 100m Euros. There's 10 years between then but inflation's not that great!

You say inflation's not that great, but P&O's new builds set them back 180 million each and they are not overnight cruise ferries. Whilst they do have cabins, these are only for the crew. If I remember when LD Lines were getting questions about lack of cabins on the Norman Spirit Pierre Gahanne mentioned that cabins were very expensive items.

It does surprise me in a way how "cheap" ferries are to build, although the operator's probably won't agree. When you see train carriages costing £1m, passenger airliners costing £60m, and the last cruise ship I went on cost $750m. In that context it makes 240m Euros for a ship sound cheap, especially since it's a bit bigger and on the surface more sophisticated than a train carriage.

It does make one wonder though if P&O paid over the odds. Stena Hollandica and Stena Britannica are bigger, full of cabins, nicely fitted out with just as many facilities as the Spirits. They were £175m each, and okay the shipyard went bust in the meantime, but it just seems a better deal.

You say inflation's not that great, but P&O's new builds set them back 180 million each and they are not overnight cruise ferries. Whilst they do have cabins, these are only for the crew. If I remember when LD Lines were getting questions about lack of cabins on the Norman Spirit Pierre Gahanne mentioned that cabins were very expensive items.

I wonder why Cabins are so expensive?

On the Spirit it would have been the need to retrofit them in (which LD did with a few), which means ensuring adequate electrical supply, plumbing, drainage, air conditioning blah blah blah etc.

I've got a design, I've based it on the PA although part of me thinks a bit of val don't know where though. I gave her front a more of a curve, the blue top bit at the front is a covered pool, a longer glass atrium, an extra commodore balcony and a long bow, sorry it looks a bit squished it should be longer.