PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Andy

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: BF prepraing to order new ship...

BF are very close to signing the contract to build the new ships in St Nazaire, with LNG fuel, and all the subsidies you can dream of. The plans are at HQ in Roscoff.

The new ship will be on Spanish routes with Pont Aven moved to St Malo.

BF insiders feel they have let the cat amongst the pigeons with LD/DFDS running Poole-Spain, but they see this as only inevitable since BF "invaded" Le Havre and nicked 50,000 passengers. They saw LD as a joke but DFDS as worrying!

If the Pont Aven would be moved to the St.Malo route, do you know what would happen to the Bretagne?

Much as all our hearts will hurt .... the day is coming, and the Bretagne will have a new life elsewhere. Age, old engines, higher fuel consumption, and lots of other factors mean we cannot freeze time.

Let us just hope the spirit of the Bretagne is not lost at the same time!

I cant even talk about it :'( !! Its So upsetting !! Still its not 100% yet, we never know what will actually happen till it does ! I so hope its not true, I would rather see the Pont go any day than Bretagne ! I don't even have to think about that !

We will have to all club together and buy her :D !

Least we will then have a British owned ferry in a British port then ! Would love to see the British flag on her stern 8-) ! British Ferries I like the sound of that :D ! Could rename her Royal Britannia.....

BF will never be the same without her that's for certain.

We cant let Bretagne go !!!

When the time comes, I just hope that BF mark the event with some ceremony - perhaps a special goodbye minicruise or two, for example. I'd hate to see her just slip off quietly into the sunset.

Pont-Aven would be a worthy replacement, even though she hasn't quite as much character. And she does need some sheltered, all-weather permanent outdoor seating, for those evenings after dinner, watching the Isle of Wight fade slowly into the distance.

[quote=elCercado;145866

Pont-Aven would be a worthy replacement, even though she hasn't quite as much character. And she does need some sheltered, all-weather permanent outdoor seating.

I'd say she needs some more comfortable indoor seating as well for that long day time journey back from St Malo.

Even on the shorter Roscoff - Plymouth run the day time crossings have always been tiresome because of the absence of comfortable seating. There's the poky little room with reclining seats up by the swimming pool, but everywhere else is "sit up and beg" seating.

Armorique may lack a restaurant, but her abundance of big comfortable seats for day time use is badly needed on Pont Aven.

It will indeed be a very solum day when Bretagne gets pulled from the fleet (I'd imagine she'll serve 2 more seasons at least). I, along with most on here that have traveled on her have fond memories of her. I sailed on her to Santander on her inaugural year in service on that route and have since thoroughly enjoyed her St Malo placement which she fits into like a hand in a glove. A truly relaxing and lovely vessel to travel on. Pont Aven will service that route well if she's moved, but let's hope BF don't slash the crossing time; there's something so very special about the St.Malo crossing.

Bretagne's loss will be as good as a family member, Garth, to her fans - it felt like the loss of one of the family when we lost Barfleur. As THAT thread will have given some idea about. The loss of Bretagne will be felt by many many more, farer and wider than our Poole friend, and I suspect will get an even bigger thread....

Unfortunately there will be many wishing to pay their respects and discuss her RM. Hopefully not for a long time yet, but she will attract a lot more 'condolences' than Barfleur ever did. I do think it will be a lot more civilised and more sharing stories, a lot pleasanter.

Garth - I do know where you are coming from, us sentimentalists! :)

I am a great fan of Bretagne, to me it is , by far, still the best ship in the fleet. I hope, however, that there will not be a repeat of THAT thread for the next two years.

I'll echo that, on both points.

When the time comes, I just hope that BF mark the event with some ceremony - perhaps a special goodbye minicruise or two, for example. I'd hate to see her just slip off quietly into the sunset.

Well those nice people at Gillette might allow us all to have a little piece of her in our bathrooms [ducks for cover] :D

Well those nice people at Gillette might allow us all to have a little piece of her in our bathrooms [ducks for cover] :D

Ha ha funny that.

As I was reading this thread on the previous page the same thought crossed my mind.

I do like the Bretagne though, and not sure PA will be the permenant replacement either when time does come for her to go. Surely too much capacity for a daily sevrice to St Malo during the quieter months.

I think a lot of folks can get sidetracked. What is a ship without her crew, and what is a company without its management and staff. From the earliest days BF had a heart, a real maritime culture, and this was especially evident on the Bretagne over the years.

But ....

They stopped the engineering courses you could do with the experts on board.

Hard these days to get a berth in a shared cabin.

The access code to the bridge started to be changed regularly.

From the Commandant on down, the "family feeling" started to fade since Alexis passed on.

Zero alcohol tolerance for any of the crew, so no officers dropping in to the restaurant to meet friends.

OK, the world changes, but many of those who have retired from BF are pleased not to be living through the current period.

We will miss the ship, yes, but we will miss the spirit 100 times more.

Colin, you speak from the heart, and much of what you say could equally apply to my employer, who are now taking things to their logical conclusion by carrying out the non-maritime equivalent of adopting a flag of convenience...

Colin, I think you can't blame BF for all of those changes, increased security on the Bridge, zero tolerance of alcohol for the crew, these would be imposed by outside forces these days. I have seen officers in the Bar, not drinking but with a smile on their face and happy to have a laugh with passengers.

As elCercado says all firms are changing these days, either from within or outside Health and Safety or security rules.

Zero alcohol tolerance for any of the crew, so no officers dropping in to the restaurant to meet friends.

OK, the world changes, but many of those who have retired from BF are pleased not to be living through the current period.

Section 78 of the Railways and transport safety Act 2003 basically makes any duty crew or crew likely to be recalled for duty on a commercial vessel in UK waters subject to UK drink drive laws.

So quite what the crew of Bretange having a swift one or two in the bar were up to is beyond me. Unprofessional at the very least, illegal at worse.

(A constable can board any commercial vessel in UK waters at anytime to require a breath test on suspicion of being over the prescribed limit whilst on duty)

So quite what the crew of Bretange having a swift one or two in the bar were up to is beyond me. Unprofessional at the very least, illegal at worse.

I think he said the WEREN'T drinking! (and do please get the ship's name correct too)

I think he said the WEREN'T drinking! (and do please get the ship's name correct too)

Isn't 'they' spelt with a Y? :P

The inference of the post was that crew are not allowed to drink in the bar with passengers, I was pointing out that it is because it is all but against the law in UK waters.

Against what law? Not the one you quote! Drinking small amounts of alcohol and being drunk are 2 very different things. Zero tolerance has its supporters, but you will find few officers at BF amongst them, as it tends to lead the problems cases to hide their habit.

In the past, common sense, and the law prevailed. Now, HQ dictat imposes a different regime.

When I have a moment later, I will post a résumé of a recent chat with current and former BF Commandants about the company today, and the chances of making a total pig's ear of the new ship ....

Against what law? Not the one you quote! Drinking small amounts of alcohol and being drunk are 2 very different things. Zero tolerance has its supporters, but you will find few officers at BF amongst them, as it tends to lead the problems cases to hide their habit.

In the past, common sense, and the law prevailed. Now, HQ dictat imposes a different regime.

When I have a moment later, I will post a résumé of a recent chat with current and former BF Commandants about the company today, and the chances of making a total pig's ear of the new ship ....

Sounds about right

Archived