PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Andy

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: BF prepraing to order new ship...

I thought that the last big ship built in GB was the 60,000 ton ferry for NSF named Pride of Hull???? named as such and not a rename.
The current Pride of Hull was constructed at Fincantieri's Marghera yard in Venice.
  • 4 weeks later...

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017

Jean-Marc Roué has confirmed the contruction of a GNL vessel for 2017! Here is the source from lemarin.

http://www.lemarin.fr/articles/detail/items/brittany-ferries-pret-a-passer-au-gaz-sous-conditions.html?fb_action_ids=545871828821446&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B231809150319260%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

So, which was is leaving, Bretagne, Normandie or Barfleur?

Re: New vessel for 2017

The announcement has some conditions attached so a replacement may not be the case. They want to convert Arm, PA and MSM, seek assistance (40% aid) to convert existing vessels, permission to continue to use vessels already in operation that cannot be converted and a scheme that mirrors the carbon trading scheme where the total emissions of their fleet can be traded.

Where a new vessel fits in to the above is anyone's guess. If the fleet deployment remains the same, Plymouth Roscoff is covered. Portsmouth-Caen is half compliant, Spain is half compliant whether PA remains on that route with CF or moves to St Malo to replace Bretagne. All very complicated, particularly with the proposals for a transitional period and with the request for aid to comply this close to the deadline.

The announcement has some conditions attached so a replacement may not be the case. They want to convert Arm, PA and MSM, seek assistance (40% aid) to convert existing vessels, permission to continue to use vessels already in operation that cannot be converted and a scheme that mirrors the carbon trading scheme where the total emissions of their fleet can be traded.

Where a new vessel fits in to the above is anyone's guess. If the fleet deployment remains the same, Plymouth Roscoff is covered. Portsmouth-Caen is half compliant, Spain is half compliant whether PA remains on that route with CF or moves to St Malo to replace Bretagne. All very complicated, particularly with the proposals for a transitional period and with the request for aid to comply this close to the deadline.

Do the emissions regs apply everywhere in the EU ?

Hasn't the fuel conversions got something to do with how long they are in port for? Also wouldn't it be the end for all 3 of our old ladies if all can't be converted? Why would one go earloer than others?

Guest CaptainPugwash

Maybe the whole blasted eu will collapse in the same way that the ussr did (that collapsed quite quickly) and then we can all get back to running businesses without these asymmetric rules that disadvantage one over another.

I'm all for companies acting responsibly towards the environment (I have spent several 10s of thousands on my own fleet) but not at all costs.

I mean- has anyone actually asked how many polar bears are going to jump for joy because a SMALL NUMBER OF SHIPS are going to run on marginally less polluting fuel?

It does not necessarily mean that the next ship in line to go is.....all depends on what they want it for and if it will be used to cover all other ports during Winter other than its regular. Bretagne may be fine to continue on St Malo with loadings etc. Why replace her when she could be around another 10 years if needed.

Adicat is quite right, we don't know what the actual commercials are.

I was recently on a cruise on Celebrity Infinity which as built was powered by two gas turbines and at a Q&A with the captain, I asked if the cost of running them meant they would ever replace them (and sited the HSS and Finnjet as being an examples of cost becoming prohibitive). He replied that a couple of years ago they did build a diesel generator on board which they now use almost all the time as well as the gas turbines when underway, but when the sulpher regs come in they expect it to switch the other way around. Interestingly he also said that their new Solstice class ships build within the past five years will cost considerably more to run from European ports because of the fines involved than the gas turbine powered Millenium class.

Just an example of how one cost is just a part of an overall more complex cost structure.

Do they say where she'll be built? St Nazaire, Rauma and Turku are up for sale.

Ten T are aiding TT Lines with finance for conversion, maybe that's BFs play?. I can't see the EU or IMO relaxing the rules for BFs tonnage when other carriers are investing so heavily in their fleets. Tallink/Silja ships are already compliant including the laid up Festival (charter opportunities if needed?) also most of DFDS (4 remaining). This issue hasn't been a surprise, the emission ruling was made in 2008.

It would be interesting to compare the cost of scrubbers (€25/30m) with complete powerplant change to LNG or TierIII.

Stena are advancing positively with methanol planning to have 25 vessels ready by 2018, another possibility. I do feel however, the powers that be are pushing gas as the alternative.

They might also move Bretagne to Cork and offer a Spanish link, move Barfleur there and offer a St Naz link.

Correct Adicat, Bretagne has been said to be the next by various people however is still 'bruit des coursives' at the moment! We just never know at BF!

However, from various things I've heard and experienced, she should be the next to go.

The 2020 changes (which could be delayed until 2025) apply to the rest of the world, outside the SECAs: Sulphur Emissions Control Areas, currently the North Sea, Baltic Sea, English Channel, North American coasts (and soon, the Carribean). The SECAs are chosen due to various environmental considerations.

Also, the 2020 "rest of world" rules are not as strict as the 2015 SECA rules.

This is an IMO (International Maritime Organisation) thing, over 150 countries are signatories and all ships registered in those countries must comply. The EU is not involved, apart from the fact that SECA-equivalent rules will apply within 12 miles of any EU coastline, whether in a SECA or not.

Archived