Sign in to follow this  
Andy

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

An article online seems to imply that funding has been secured for Pegasis and the order will soon be confirmed...

http://www.actunautique.com/2014/10/...y-ferries.html - a Google translation below.

This order of € 350 million would be confirmed at the STX shipyard in Saint Nazaire.

This order of € 350 million would be confirmed at the STX shipyard in Saint Nazaire.

While everyone thought finally buried the record, it appears that on the contrary, the future of the future of the Breton own ferry company Brittany Ferries, the Pegasis, will be cleared!

According to our information, the state would cover 30% of the cost of the vessel, estimated at 350 million euros.

The command would be notified to the STX shipyard in Saint Naziare to reinstate the planning of the project, very busy. Recall that the file Pegasis had so far stalled on funding, namely the portion supported by the state.

A situation that prompted the carrier to threaten to relocate the construction of this revolutionary ship overseas.

Pegasis delivery scheduled for the end 2017.

In case anybody is struggling and scratching their heads with the results of a Google Translation, I'd propose "has been confirmed" (in the sense of 'allegedly', 'reportedly') for the title. :cool:

(I like these new emotions. Just saying)

I know Brittany Ferries is, a french company, but I find it a bit strange that BF have made no press releases about any delays, so on this side of the channel there've not been any articles anywhere. Even if you type in to google 'Brittany Ferries New Ship' it comes up with articles from January and nothing about anything that's been going on. I revisited BFE earlier this year after a long period of inactivity because there hadn't been anything from BF or online, if it wasn't for this site I would be completely oblivious to everything!

I wouldn't have thought it to be too strange - given the uncertainty there isn't really much that could have been said. I can't imagine any organisation would really want to issue a press release to the effect of "we don't really know what's happening". Instead it would seem better to sit and wait and only start blowing trumpets again when you know what's going on.

As the situation's developed it's become clear just how many external factors were involved with SICA etc - whilst that interests us as enthusiasts to the travelling public at large it's not as relevant.

Hopefully, if the article above is correct we'll know for sure soon enough.

Pegasis is a good news story for BF, why spoil it by saying maybe we can't afford it? You only hear when companies are expanding, if it doesn't happen just keep quiet and hope everyone forgets about it.

In case anybody is struggling and scratching their heads with the results of a Google Translation, I'd propose "has been confirmed" (in the sense of 'allegedly', 'reportedly') for the title. :cool:

(I like these new emotions. Just saying)

Personally I'd say "is about to be confirmed" ;)

• Like 1

I agree AdamW, Google Translate often has me scratching my head in confusion! I can no longer bear their translations after my days marking endless 'Google Translated' essays from my lovely pupils.

I have, therefore, tried (tried being the operative word) to give everyone a slightly more human translation. It's nonetheless good news and a step forward for Brittany Ferries.

The state are going to finance 30% of Brittany Ferries' eco ferry.

The 350 million order has apparently just been confirmed at STXs shipyards in St Nazaire.

When everyone thought the project to be grounded for good, it seems quite the opposite as the prospects of Breton company, Brittany Ferries' future ferry, PEGASIS, are looking up.

According to our information, the state is allegedly covering 30% of the ships cost, estimated at 350 million.

STX shipyards has seemingly been notified of the order so that it can fit it back into its very full schedule. Bearing in mind that the PEGASIS project had, up until now, come up against funding issues, namely the part for which the government are footing.

This situation had forced the company to threaten to relocate the construction of this revolutionary ship abroad.

The ship should be delivered towards the end of 2017.

Taking into account that this super ferry will run on LNG and therefore will have greatly reduced emissions, its a construction that should allow STX of St Nazaire to gain significant experience in a market said to rapidly develop in years to come, due to the introduction of the sulphur directive.

Edited by BAI4
After brushing up on my French grammar and tenses - correcting a few translated phrases.
  • Like 1

This is great news! I just hope everything falls into place and I can't wait to some more detailed plans, after 3 years of waiting since the announcement of this project (April 2011). I just hope this project and new ship lives up to the €350 million (£275 million) price tag...

Quick fact - this order of ONE FERRY would be worth approximately the cost of the following THREE FERRIES combined the Pont Aven (£100mil), Armorique (£80mil) and MSM (£80m).

Personally I'd say "is about to be confirmed" ;)

I'd be tempted to agree with that one. Now, translation quality analysis and debates aside, back on topic...

That new article is certainly very 'definite' in saying that yesterday's one was an ubstantiated rumour. I guess STX France are the best people to go for the truth, as was done in the article you posted. It did seem a bit strange how everything was suddenly back on/full steam ahead.

• Like 2

As long as it is not confirmed by a reputable source of info (e.g. Le Marin, Le Telegramme or Mer et Marine), it must be taken with a pinch of salt to say the least. I will meet engineers of STX Saint Nazaire in an Alumni event next week in Nantes and I will endeavour to find out a bit more...

Some of this is smoke and mirrors as some accounts only talk about the new ship, some include the conversions and scrubbers, but almost all seem to miss the point that there is more involved, including the "plateforme logistique" and other non directly BF related elements that SICA and others are endeavouring to sort out with Paris. Politics and economics are thoroughly mixed up in this and we should expect the unexpected ....

• Like 2

Brittany Ferries have announced today that the Pegasis project has been suspended, and that they are also cancelling the LNG conversions of Pont-Aven, Mont St Michel and Armorique.

Jean-Marc Roue, Chairman of Brittany Ferries states "It is impossible to embark on an Ecological Transition Plan with a very high level of investment to which are added, because of the lack of a temporary exemption, tens of millions of euros a year in additional costs related to extra fuel costs.”

“With no temporary exemption, the economic balance of the LNG component is endangered. As the largest employer of French sailors, it is my duty to protect the company and its employees when the news unfortunately shows us the plight of maritime employment in France. All partners involved in the construction of the LNG industry with Brittany Ferries have demonstrated the technical feasibility and the environmental relevance of this pioneering technology and future. So I decided to suspend the LNG part of our Ecological Transition Plan.”

Full BF Statement can be found here.

Scrubbers in lieu of LNG conversions for the 3 ships, and consideration to be given to the eventual replacement of Bretagne.

Political horlicks with a French government in such an almighty shambolic mess .....

I suspect that a lot of this has to do with the time required for the conversion works. BF are probably finding out that the timescale to fit LNG tanks and modify or change engines is prohibitive and would take vessels out of service for much longer than originally anticipated. Scrubbers can be fitted in a reasonable timescale.

I think it comes down to a demand by BF for a dispensation to run with heavy oil on all ships until the conversions are done or scrubbers fitted. Paris and Brussels have not shown willing. As a result, either BF run in contravention and face fines, or they run on diesel at massive extra cost. Yes, in reality, the scrubbers can be fitted faster, so the time and cost running on diesel will be less.

Pegisis order suspended today and announced on France 3 tv at noon : [h=1]La Brittany Ferries suspend sa commande d'un ferry au gaz naturel à STX[/h]

La Brittany Ferries va suspendre la commande aux chantiers STX d'un ferry au gaz naturel liquéfié jugeant que les conditions à la réalisation de son plan visant à répondre à la réglementation à venir sur les émissions de soufre "ne sont pas réunies". Un serpent de mer.. un coup dur pour STX

Début 2014, la Brittany Ferries avait annoncé un plan consistant en la construction d'un ferry au GNL, l'installation de filtres à fumée sur trois navires et la conversion de trois navires plus récents au GNL, pour un coût total de 400 millions d'euros. Le ferry, qui devait être construit aux chantiers STX France de Saint-Nazaire (Loire-atlantique) pour un coût de 270 millions d'euros, devait être conforme aux normes sur les émissions des gaz d'échappement de la convention Marpol, qui évoluent à partir du 1er janvier 2015. Les émissions d'oxyde de soufre (SOx) seront alors réduites de 99% et celles d'oxyde d'azote (NOx) de 80%.

Surcoûts trop importants

"Il nous est impossible actuellement de nous engager sur un plan de transition écologique avec un niveau d'investissement très élevé auquel viennent s'ajouter, faute d'exemption temporaire, des dizaines de millions d'euros par an de surcoûts en carburant liés à l'utilisation du gasoil en substitution du fuel, pendant la période nécessaire à la conversion des navires", explique Jean-Marc Roué, le président de la BAI.

La compagnie installera cependant des filtres à fumée (scrubbers) sur les trois navires initialement prévus pour être convertis au GNL, précise-t-elle, ajoutant qu'il s'agit d'un investissement compris entre 70 et 80 millions d'euros. Désigné sous le nom de code Pegasis (pour Power efficient gas innovative ship), le bateau, long de 210 m, devait être un des trois plus grands navires fonctionnant au GNL au monde.

[h=3]Coup dur[/h] Les chantiers de Saint-Nazaire s'étaient félicités de cette commande pour leur positionnement sur le marché des ferries au gaz, adaptés aux normes anti-pollution à venir.

Cependant, début septembre ils avaient déjà eux-mêmes suspendu la commande, la compagnie maritime n'ayant toujours pas bouclé son plan de financement.

Google translation :

Brittany Ferries will suspend the order to STX a ferry liquefied natural gas holding that the conditions for the realization of its plan to meet future regulations on sulfur emissions " are not met . " A sea snake .. a blow to STX

Early 2014, Brittany Ferries announced a plan consisting of the construction of an LNG ferry, installing smoke filters on three ships and the conversion of three most recent LNG vessels with a total cost of 400 million euros. The ferry, which was to be built at STX France Saint-Nazaire (Loire-Atlantic) at a cost of € 270 million, was to meet the standards on emissions of exhaust gases to the MARPOL Convention, which evolve From 1 January 2015 the sulfur oxide (SOx) emissions will be reduced by 99% and nitrogen oxide (NOx) by 80%.

[h=3]Incremental costs too high[/h] " It is impossible now to embark on a plan of ecological transition with a very high level of investment to which are added, for lack of a temporary exemption, tens of millions of euros a year in additional costs related to fuel the use of diesel fuel as a substitute during the period necessary for the conversion of ships , "said Jean-Marc Roue, president of BAI. however, the company will install smoke filters (scrubbers) on three ships initially planned to be converted to LNG, she said, adding that this is an investment of between 70 and 80 million euros. Referred to Pegasis code (for Power efficient gas innovative ship), the ship, 210 m long, was to be one of the three largest vessels running on LNG in the world.

[h=3]Blow[/h] The shipyards in Saint-Nazaire had welcomed this command to their market positioning ferry gas adapted to anti-pollution standards to come.

However, in early September they had themselves suspended the order, the shipping company has still not completed its financing plan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29606718

Brittany Ferries has abandoned plans to fit new engines to several of its ships because of the cost involved.

The company had planned to spend £320m on fitting the engines to six of its ships because of new EU regulations on sulphur emissions.

The ships would have run on liquefied natural gas, which is less polluting than the heavy fuel oil used today.

Instead, the company plans to switch the ships to diesel fuel and fit filters to funnels to clean emissions.

Brittany Ferries announced the planned changes to the ships, which link Portsmouth, in Hampshire, Poole, in Dorset, and Plymouth, in Devon, with Spain and France, in August.

New EU regulations on sulphur emissions come into force in January.

But the company now says the cost cannot be justified.

It also cancelled the order of a new ferry, which would have run on liquefied natural gas.

This development is probably applicable to several other threads, or maybe even worthy of it's own new discussion?

The best option to get funds I think would be to expand the Irish market. Below are two timetables for a second-hand ship.

The summer season would establish a link between Cork and Santander, this would prove a very popular route and is likely to be full due to it being only once a week. It would also provide an additional Plymouth-Santander return, however if this does not prove popular - it could change to an additional Cork-Santander or Cork-Roscoff depending on demand.

The winter season would mean the Cork-Roscoff service is all-year round with 2 return sailings per week, spread out so there is an early-week sailing which would be popular for freight and a weekend return sailing - something popular for second-home owners, day-trippers and others. Cork-Santander I believe would not be popular during the winter.

Summer Season

Cork-Santander - Depart 08:00 Sat - Arrive 12:30 Sun

Santander-Plymouth - Depart 15:00 Sun - Arrive 09:00 Mon

Plymouth-Santander - Depart 12:00 Mon - Arrive 09:00 Tue

Santander-Cork - Depart 12:00 Tue - Arrive 16:00 Wed

Cork-Roscoff - Depart 19:00 Wed - Arrive 09:00 Thu

Roscoff-Cork - Depart 19:00 Thu - Arrive 10:00 Fri

Winter Season

Cork-Roscoff - Depart 19:00 Mon - Arrive 10:00 Tue

Roscoff-Cork - Depart 17:00 Tue - Arrive 08:00 Wed

Cork-Roscoff - Depart 19:00 Fri - Arrive 10:00 Sat

Roscoff-Cork - Depart 17:00 Sat - Arrive 08:00 Sun

(timings are estimated and are based on one time zone only)

Regarding the ship; the rumoured ferry 'Danielle Casanova' would be perfect. It's very similar to the Pont-Aven statistically talking, and could prove a popular ship.

Given the size of Stena and the size of ICG one would have thought they'd already be doing such crossings if there was a market.