Sign in to follow this  
Andy

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Re: Project Pegasis: BF and STX to develop 'Eco-ferry'

I've got a design, I've based it on the PA although part of me thinks a bit of val don't know where though. I gave her front a more of a curve, the blue top bit at the front is a covered pool, a longer glass atrium, an extra commodore balcony and a long bow, sorry it looks a bit squished it should be longer.

Does'nt look like a modern day vessel at all really, especially when Brittany Ferries are looking at developing a modern day 'eco-ferry' - look it up on google and re-draft!! :-)

When you say modern day ferry do you mean a ferry for day time or a ferry with a modern design?

if you mean a day ferry their not looking for that (UK - Spain)

Also I wasn't designing the ferry to the exact specification, otherwise I would of put those giant tanks at the rear of the ferry and would of taken consideration of the shape of the boat

Plus also I know a lot about this ferry and I am following the progress of Viking Grace.

It will design completely different, unless they go off a previous drawings! BF love they ships to have there own sense of character! Be interesting to see how this developed but for now I would thought it be staying on the drawing board!

Good drawing but like previously mention it got bits of other vessels in it. Needs to be free and independent!

Modern day ferry designs definetely tend to have less 'height' and more in the way of length with a more 'streamlined' design.

Compare the Pont-Aven and the Cap Finistere to the likes of Normandie, Bretagne and The Val which were built some 10/15 years earlier.

The design of ferries is only partially driven by simple aesthetics. Any future new build for the Western Channel is going to have to be an excellent compromise between speed and fuel consumption (on clean fuel) and the internals, ramps and doors be configured for fast turnround. The speed aspect does tend to call for as long a (conventional) ferry as will fit the port facilities. This is why fast boats like the CF tend to be longer and slimmer.

If you want to dig deeper, Google Froude and wavemaking resistance.

Good call, very interesting. This sort of bow shape is becoming very popular for offshore supply vessels. It looks as though they are working very hard at optimising speed / fuel / seakeeping. It's going to give some headaches in designing the actuality of the bow doors and interface with the shore ramps though.

Mind you, the way things are the moment, it's not likely to get built ...

I never thought I'd see anything that would but it certainly makes Cotentin and Val look beautiful.

I awlays thought the Val was a good looking vessel.

The best looking in the current fleet would have to be Normandie, in my opinion.

How much passenger space will their be? are they going to cover the back with more 'ship' if you know what I mean or is that just the basic aesthetics and they're going to build more passenger space. I have to say the bow looks brilliant, it reminds me of a high speed train, I love the sweeping lines and curves, it looks more elegant than the boxy original design.

More Ship & I'll back It!

I would suspect that BF's input has been very much deciding the basic requirements such as:

Number passengers to carry

Deck space (lane metres) and mix of car / lorry traffic

Maximum length restriction

Maximum draft

Possible maximum beam (although this is also dictated by speed and stability)

Required service speed

Starting from these parameters, the basic envelope, size of ship and number of decks can be optimised. Then they can start worrying about how it's going to look.

I would suspect that BF's input has been very much deciding the basic requirements such as:

Number passengers to carry

Deck space (lane metres) and mix of car / lorry traffic

Maximum length restriction

Maximum draft

Possible maximum beam (although this is also dictated by speed and stability)

Required service speed

Starting from these parameters, the basic envelope, size of ship and number of decks can be optimised. Then they can start worrying about how it's going to look.

Would the efficiency also fit in there too? Otherwise a more... conventional design could have done

Efficiency is largely a function of hull form, and how it is wrapped around the necessary internal deck areas and payload requirements. Obviously they've been doing a lot of work on a novel hull form to try and get the best "miles per gallon"

What are the restrictions / /limitations for the storage of LNG onboard and the requirements for bunkering ? The somewhat odd look and 'everything at the front' design might be to account for this?

What are the restrictions / /limitations for the storage of LNG onboard and the requirements for bunkering ? The somewhat odd look and 'everything at the front' design might be to account for this?

Unlikely to be anything to do with the LNG. The bulbous nose is a modern trend for good bad weather behaviour. The LNG tanks would almsot certainly be protected by double hull structure further back in the hull.

Unlikely to be anything to do with the LNG. The bulbous nose is a modern trend for good bad weather behaviour. The LNG tanks would almsot certainly be protected by double hull structure further back in the hull.

That's what I meant by 'everything at the front' leaving the stern somewhat empty. Is there a requirement not to have people eating, sleeping and dancing on top of gas tanks :-/