Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Re: BF prepraing to order new ship...

Both, with a consequent re-jigging of routes/timings to compensate for the loss of a ship. Like all thoughts of what might happen probably totally wrong. Discuss.

I have a feeling it could replace the CF.

THEORY

- The CF covers, I think, the most distance therefore an LNG vessel would be the most beneficial.

- The Pont-Aven is a well loved ship on the routes it covers and there could be a possible decline in passengers on these routes.

- The CF is most likely worth quite a bit of money, therefore BF would sell that ship to gain a high income amount.

Anyway, if it doesn't, all I'd want for it is not to be a 'futuristic' style like the Armorique as IMHO it's vulgar!

I have a feeling it could replace the CF.

- The Pont-Aven is a well loved ship on the routes it covers and there could be a possible decline in passengers on these routes.

!

The CF seems to be doing quite well. As for the PA, whilst people do indeed like the ship I don't think they'd cancel their two week holiday in Spain because it had been changed.

It really depends on what BF are willing to spend and what that money will buy. They could build a new flagship for Spain and move the PA to St Malo to displace Bretagne, or build something for France. No doubt the 2015 emissions regulations will influence any decision to be made/which has been made.

You make a good point about what I first said.

Wouldn't it be a waste though to have such a large, well appointed ship on the St-Malo route during the high season?

I've often wondered why not build another Armorique with the back end covered in to provide the space for a proper restaurant and some more cabins including Deluxe or Commodore. The big advantage is that the basic design is already done, just some alterations to the upper decks.

Could converting the Cot achieve this? The only problem might be the current free height on the upper vehicle deck.

I would prefer to see something like the color magic built for the Spain route and the Pont moving to St Malo with Bretagne used for ???.

If it is a new LPG design, I wonder if the new fuel requirements would make it more likely to go on more regular cross channel service ? Different fuel storage at the port, the need to make the most of the investment and give the new design a more thorough testing......? A lazy old jaunt to Spain vs Caen ? If LPG is the future, you would expect the busiest ports to get the kit for it, no ?

Surely though if cruise ships and the like are converting to LPG then most ports will have Lpg fuelling facilities.

Surely though if cruise ships and the like are converting to LPG then most ports will have Lpg fuelling facilities.

Will have them or do have them ? Also, cruise ships and other might call yet plan refueling elsewhere. I guess the point is that there could be a significant cost to ports and whilst there seems to be a fair few ports that handle LPG, are they like oil terminals dealing in bulk rather than providing refueling? If they were smart, maybe we should expect Caen to get the facilities to supply Portsmouth ships rather than getting Portsmouth set up and making it easier for other operators to benefit ;)

A lazy jaunt to Spain?!!! Anybody that has been on the Pont. at 27 knots would not describe it as lazy.... The slow 14.00 sailing from Caen is lazy, as is the St Malo overnight (amongst others!!!)

A fuel cost (saving) will surely decide where any new ship operates as it is such a big part of costs....

I understand Falmouth has an LPG bunkering service, so would imagine some of the other ports mentioned above should certainly have them. If not I will be happy to see ferries going from Falmouth.

A lazy jaunt to Spain?!!! Anybody that has been on the Pont. at 27 knots would not describe it as lazy.... The slow 14.00 sailing from Caen is lazy, as is the St Malo overnight (amongst others!!!)

A fuel cost (saving) will surely decide where any new ship operates as it is such a big part of costs....

Lazy in terms of not exactly demonstrating the full requirement or potential. A Caen option allows them greater scope to trial manoeuvres at a variety of speeds, docking more often etc. A Spain run is fine for a trip, full pelt but would they and the developers be wanting to exploit the ability to test the model on a single schedule type? Is the commercial win in finding a more fuel efficient way to run the more frequent services?

Yes, the issues are complex. Would the Royal Navy be happy with LNG tanks so close to the dockyard ?

Anybody have any knowledge of the Norwegian LNG ferry, and how that is getting on ?

There is a huge LNG facility in Pembroke which has been operating safely for a number of years so perhaps BF could operate a new service to Wales!!

Forgive my ignorance, Skip, but is LNG (nitrogen) not a different, and considerably more volatile, product than liquid petroleum gas?

LNG has many advantages. Unlike oil products, spillages will evaporate instantly and dissipate in the atmosphere. It burns without yielding particles. It doesn't need complex and polluting refining stages. It is far greener than heavy fuel oil.

I'm not sure whether this has been posted already but Roscoff and Santander look like possible refueling ports for this new project.

"A plan to look into the feasibility of providing LNG bunkering facilities in Roscoff (France) and Santander (Spain), under the name Seagas, which will enable ferry operator Brittany Ferries and the two port authorities to decide on whether or not to use LNG as fuel, is to be funded to the tune of €1.04 million, again 50% of the total costs. This is of particular interest as it is likely to lead to LNG-fuelled newbuilds or retrofits to existing ferries"

http://www.motorship.com/news101/industry-news/europe-backs-lng-ship-fuel-option

Project Pegasis Port of Santander from VI Port Cluster Innovation Congress.

Just in Spanish :-/

The CF seems to be doing quite well. As for the PA, whilst people do indeed like the ship I don't think they'd cancel their two week holiday in Spain because it had been changed.

It really depends on what BF are willing to spend and what that money will buy. They could build a new flagship for Spain and move the PA to St Malo to displace Bretagne, or build something for France. No doubt the 2015 emissions regulations will influence any decision to be made/which has been made.

I would certainly change my plans to ensure a sailing on PA and avoid the CF at all costs. She may be a good sea-keeper, but in every other respect falls way short of the high standards set by other vessels. Despite her age, Bretagne is a proper BF ship still worthy of her place in the fleet.

I hope if there is a new ferry BF review their cabin designs. Compared with Stena Brittanica, Kalliste & Excelsior the BF cabins are ferry functional rather than hotel like.

I don't totally agree westy. I board at 10-11 ish, and up 6-7 ish, I just want a bed and a toilet/shower. I wouldn't want to pay for the extra facilities when due to the sort crossings in going to be sleeping for at least 90% of the crossing

I found Mont's 2 berth inner more than adequate for my needs. Same as Rich says, if you are going to be kipping for most of the time for a short overnight that is all you need. You get privacy, and your own bathroom facilties, what else does one need.