PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Andy

Re: BF prepraing to order new ship...

As above LNG is almost all Methane and LPG is almost all Propane. They both go bang which is why domestic tanks are/should be surrounded by a bund [protective "wall"] and a certain distance from the house.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any fans of Mythbusters here will know what a propane tank exploding goes like. OK, so they fired tracer rounds into them but those tanks did one mighty BANG! Bit off topic, but an idea...

I don't totally agree westy. I board at 10-11 ish, and up 6-7 ish, I just want a bed and a toilet/shower. I wouldn't want to pay for the extra facilities when due to the sort crossings in going to be sleeping for at least 90% of the crossing

The cabins on the mentioned boats are less expensive than BF and some have double beds with more room in the bathroom. The comfort class on the Harwich boats are particularly worth checking.

I would certainly change my plans to ensure a sailing on PA and avoid the CF at all costs. She may be a good sea-keeper, but in every other respect falls way short of the high standards set by other vessels. Despite her age, Bretagne is a proper BF ship still worthy of her place in the fleet.

I'm sorry but I don't see how the Cap Finistere is any way below the standards of other vessels; she is very nicely fitted out, the cabins are just as comfortable and quiet, and she has just about all of the amenities which are available elsewhere, with the exception of a self-sevice restuarant (which personally I do not think is an issue).

Yes the Cap Finistere's interior may not have been designed for BF, but I don't see how this in any way detracts from the standard of the accomodation. I would say she compares very well with the other conventional vessels.

Stena Hollandica and Brittanica- best nights sleep on a ship ever. The 'dux' mattresses, solid feel to fixtures and lack of rattling all add up to a quality product. I hope that BF have a ride to see what can be achieved and the cabin rates are less, too.

The cabins on the mentioned boats are less expensive than BF and some have double beds with more room in the bathroom. The comfort class on the Harwich boats are particularly worth checking.

Would tend to agree with Westy. The cabin we had on PA was fairly disapointing in terms of available space. Just about ok for an overnighter to Roscoff but would have been a bit of a let down on the Spanish run. Cabin on Norbank (Liverpool to Dublin) was a far better prospect despite the basic nature of the ship and its age!

The cabin we had on PA was fairly disapointing in terms of available space. Just about ok for an overnighter to Roscoff but would have been a bit of a let down on the Spanish run. Cabin on Norbank (Liverpool to Dublin) was a far better prospect despite the basic nature of the ship and its age!

yeah the standard 2-berth cabins on the PA are too small. The are nice cabins but just lack a sense of space. You would'nt swing a kitten in one. For the extra price, a standard 4-berth even for 1 or 2 people can be well worth it.

As for the new build of BF, a couple of months ago BF were saying they were undergoing major cost savings. One poster here even said BF were prepared to sell any one of their ships.

Then, on the basis of a good summer season, we are hearing the new build is likely to go ahead. I mean one swallow does not make a summer? I take it that if the new build goes ahead it will definitely mean the sale of another BF ship?

We have a 2 berth when going to France but always a 4 berth of some sort going to Spain.

As to the new build, it is assumed it would replace the PA on the Spain run which would then replace the Bretagne on St Malo, which is the "premier" cross channel route. The other option is a larger replacement for the Normandie on what is BF's busiest route, I've never travelled on the Caen route but from what is said on here, there is an imbalance between the 2 ships on this route.

The Normandie and Mont St Michel are in fact very similar designs despite their differing outward appearance so there is no imbalance on the Caen route. Both ships are very well suited to the crossing. They were specifically designed for it so no surprises there.

Sorry I always thought there was more of a difference between them but passenger numbers is only about a hundred, although the MSM garages are bigger. It has been said on here that MSM does the Friday night Portsmouth/Caen because of extra capacity.

As for the new build of BF, a couple of months ago BF were saying they were undergoing major cost savings. One poster here even said BF were prepared to sell any one of their ships.

Then, on the basis of a good summer season, we are hearing the new build is likely to go ahead. I mean one swallow does not make a summer? I take it that if the new build goes ahead it will definitely mean the sale of another BF ship?

I would guess that it depends on the business plan. If it is essentially sound but took a hit because of costs that they have now reduced, they can look to investing. We know that there are ships that are going to need replacing one way or another and if they have the sums right on costs and traffic levels, can borrow on that basis.

Whether it means disposing of vessels through sale or charter to part fund that is the next question. We saw with Pont L'Abbe and Val that they are happy to think creatively about how they juggle things to get the end result they want.

I posted with regard to the fact that BF are prepared to sell any of the fleet, and has been mentioned by others too. In my case, mine source was the info desk on Barfleur and that was my answer. This was when the original rumours about Cotentin being for sale started, while asking about something else, I slipped that query in too. My answer was 'every ship in the fleet is for sale - at the right price'!!

I reckon Bretagne would be next - as mentioned before, then Barfleur, then Normandie. We have after next year to think about as well with those three too...

Hopefully the departure of Bretagne will not provoke "a million" pages on the forum.

On the other hand a re-jigging of the schedules for St. Malo and Caen and the demise of another route could see the end of both B's :D

Stena Hollandica and Brittanica- best nights sleep on a ship ever. The 'dux' mattresses, solid feel to fixtures and lack of rattling all add up to a quality product. I hope that BF have a ride to see what can be achieved and the cabin rates are less, too.

I agree that the Hollandica and Brittanica both offer good comfort and value. My favourite ferries are the Nils Holgersson & Peter Pan operated by TT from Travemunde - Trelleborg. The cabins are a generous size, well fitted out and always allocated on a 1 driver per cabin basis even at busy times. Facilities on board include a indoor whirlpool and sauna. The food is amazing with a ginormous buffet where you can eat as much as you and like (including unlimited beer and wine), all included on a freight ticket. The cost is around 2/3 that of Portsmouth - Caen despite it being more miles.

That will be a sad day - hopefully not for a couple of years yet...

I wouldn't be to sad to see the Bretagne replaced. I came back from St Malo on her last night and couldn't help but think her days were numbered especially when going down to my cabin in the bilges (deck 1) which bought back bad memories of Pont-L'Abbé.

There's nothing wrong with Bretagne but she is from a different era peoples expectations have moved on and they expect more these days rattle free cabins with room to walk about in and a level of sound insulation that let's you get a decent nights sleep and if the new build doesn't have that it's a missed opurtinity that may be costly oh and she has to be cleaner than clean and leaner than lean.

I'm sorry but I don't see how the Cap Finistere is any way below the standards of other vessels; she is very nicely fitted out, the cabins are just as comfortable and quiet, and she has just about all of the amenities which are available elsewhere, with the exception of a self-sevice restuarant (which personally I do not think is an issue).

Yes the Cap Finistere's interior may not have been designed for BF, but I don't see how this in any way detracts from the standard of the accomodation. I would say she compares very well with the other conventional vessels.

I accept that it's purely my opinion, but reviews on Trip Advisor seem to agree. It is true that the cabins are fine, but CF lacks adequate internal public space, has cramped, inferior restaurant facilities and has the truly awful, draughty, leaky space on deck 10. Does anybody really want to eat there??

I wouldn't think they would put a new build on any other route than the Spain run and that would mean the Pont doing the St Malo run , longest run most money saved.

Depends what they design it to be for. They could design for a specific route, such as armorique for Plymouth. I do though expect the next ship to be for Spain though but unsure whether to replace pa or cf.

There's nothing wrong with Bretagne but she is from a different era peoples expectations have moved on and they expect more these days rattle free cabins with room to walk about in and a level of sound insulation that let's you get a decent nights sleep and if the new build doesn't have that it's a missed opurtinity that may be costly oh and she has to be cleaner than clean and leaner than lean.

I think that "leaner than lean" is what I'm afraid of! I can't compare Bretagne's cabins with Armorique, because I've never had a cabin on Armorique, But I've always found Bretagne's cabins quiet. And in my opinion her public spaces/ambience are hard to beat. I accept of course that as she gets older, running costs/maintenance become more and more onerous, and nothing lasts forever, I just hope there's a year or two left, that's all.

I accept that it's purely my opinion, but reviews on Trip Advisor seem to agree. It is true that the cabins are fine, but CF lacks adequate internal public space, has cramped, inferior restaurant facilities and has the truly awful, draughty, leaky space on deck 10. Does anybody really want to eat there??

Personally, I don't use the self-service restaurants, but I can see how CF's catering falls short for those who do on the other ships. I've seen lots of people bring a tray of food down from deck 10 into the warm, though. I've never known there not to be plenty of space to sit in the main bar, I actually really like her public areas. And for me the restaurant is fine, despite the lack of the buffet. All a matter of opinion, as you say.

Depends what they design it to be for. They could design for a specific route, such as armorique for Plymouth. I do though expect the next ship to be for Spain though but unsure whether to replace pa or cf.

The original "Project Pegasus" specification was a close match for Pont-Aven, replacement of Cap Finistere with such a ship would mean too much compromise on freight capacity, in my opinion.

A new ship displacing Pont-Aven to Saint-Malo, and the retirement of Bretagne, does make sense - Pont-Aven would provide much needed extra cabin capacity on the Saint-Malo route in high season, and she uses no more fuel than Bretagne when sailing at the speeds appropriate to that route, so overall, she would be a better financial bet that Bretagne.

It would be a shame that Pont-Aven's speed capability would no longer be utilised, but her swimming pool would be a welcome addition to the facilities available on summer daytime northbound sailings from Saint-Malo.

I agree that the Cap Finistere is no match for the Pont Aven. The communal space always feels cramped, especially the bar and restaurant. While I quite like the cafe on deck 10, I dont like the choice between having to eat in a cold damp seating area or having to carry the food all the way down to deck 7. The main issue for me is the lack of cabins - 265 as opposed to 652 on the Pont - which means freight drivers are forced to share 4 to a cabin. I wonder what would be the feedback on trip advisor if they told passengers they had to share their cabin with 3 strangers???

This year we were lucky enough to travel on the Pont Aven from St.malo leaving At 13.00

Her speed enabled her to be back in Portsmouth not much later than normal.

I would suggest that any move of the Pont to St.Malo with a departure time around mid day would be a lot more popular..... Yes she might burn a little more fuel........

Archived