PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Andy

Re: BF prepraing to order new ship...

The Pont Aven would be underused on the StMalo run, it remains BF's biggest, most expensive and best ship in the fleet designed for Spain. Why would BF move it's most valuable asset elsewhere than where the real money is ? The PA accounts for nearly half of BF's income.

I guess it's just going to be a simple replacement of the Bretagne, which is become way too old to use for the crews and run. BF can easily create a ship as modern as the Armorique, nice as the Bretagne !

Come on guys, we saw the Duc go and thing went ok, the VdL was harder but we got through it. We need to start to say goodbye ! ;)

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with JetStreamer.

This is what they should do IMHO.

New build (flagship): Portsmouth-Santander, Portsmouth-Bilbao and a new route which could be Cork-Santander.

Pont-Aven: Plymouth-Santander, Plymouth-Roscoff, Roscoff-Cork and Portsmouth-Santander.

Bretagne: Portsmouth-St-Malo, Portsmouth-Cherbourg, Poole-St-Malo, Poole-Cherbourg.

Armorique: Plymouth-Roscoff

Normandie: Portsmouth-Caen

MSM: Portsmouth-Caen

NX: Portsmouth-Caen

Maybe quite controversial, but it would see Poole being used frequently, sailings should be fuller due to the reduction in them and the Bretagne would be kept. (I did a rough plan on paper to see what the Bretagne's timings would look like and it would work out).

It would see the Barfleur and the CF go, however I'm hoping people would agree with what's being said.

Your allocations would mean a massive decrease in Portsmouth-St Malo sailings, the most popular route I think. They would lose a lot of money and complaints from regular customers.

I wonder how the regular customers on the summer St Malo sailings would cope with a change of ship? Bretagne has been serving the route since 1993 except of course 2005 when it was at Plymouth

Knowing the financial situation of BF I doubt us seeing a new flagship, a title that will remain to the PA, which is only 9 yo. And let's be realistic here, there will no new trials from Poole or Cherbourg, neither a line Cork Santander. The Barfleur serves Poole well seems and easier fit than the Cotentin.

Anybody thought of the new build replacing the Normandie ? (H)

I recently read Fjord Line have been struggling with refuelling their Stavangerfjord, Norwegian law forbids it while passengers are aboard. They've amended their timetables to reflect it.. I haven't heard of any problems "the Grace" is having. In this age of the superferry and Tallinks Galaxy class, the two Fjordline vessels seem somewhat dwarfed, 25k tonnes. Having capacities of around 1600 pax and 500 cars puts their design squarely in BFs sights for replacing Bretagne though.

On that note, I've been on her four times (return trips) this year enjoying her outside 2 berths and commodore suites but sticking to the self service restaurants.. I'm saddened to say she is tired, I found myself becoming very defensive when my wife pointed this out to me!. She's 25 next year, if it's to be her last, lets give her a proper send off?

Living in South Wales we decided this week (Thursday) to return via Rosslare on Oscar Wilde, I was quite impressed considering her age (26). Her premium suites are superb.

When you look back at the ships to have operated on the Spanish run you can see that Pont-Aven is rapidly catching the Val in terms of length of service on the route...

1978/82 - Armorique (4 years)

1982/89 - Quiberon (7 years)

1989/93 - Bretagne (4 yrs)

1993/04 - Val de Loire (11 yrs)

2004/... - Pont-Aven (9yrs so far)

... any newbuild would take approx 2 years to arrive don't forget.

The port of Bilbao also has an LNG terminal, lots of money being spent on road and rail networks too?. In the future may BF see this port as more important than Santander?

Santander had the huge benefit of being located right in the middle of the city close to all the shops, bars, restaurants, etc making it ideal for mini cruises and people wanting to arrive a bit early for the ferry and have a walk around. Bilbao has nothing within walking distance and the traffic getting in and out can be hurendous.

Local news in St Malo about assorted port developments, included a snippet saying BF have been asking for dredging on the main ferry berth, to allow Pont Aven to operate all year round, with a departure time of 1200 midday. This timing impacts on depth because of the cycle of spring and neap tides - springs have HW around 0830 - 0900.

Other news includes progress on the plan to dredge and blast rock from the "avant port", use the rock to widen the 2nd berth, and lay 24 permanent moorings for the fishing fleet, with a discharge quay between the terminal de la Bourse and Intra Muros. New silos to be built along with new sheds on the right hand side of the basin Duguay Trouin, some further development of the Pole technique Plaisance with businesses moved there from sheds on the right hand side of the Ave Louis Martin, and proper pontoons being installed in the basin Vauban (no more double banking), after the Route du Rhum late next year.

The problem for BF is if they have an LNG ship it limits the ports from/to which it can operate as locating re-fuelling points is very difficult. What ports in the UK are sufficiently "remote" for the installation of storage tanks ? You can forget re-fuelling lighters.

I would suggest that ferries would be better served by efficient diesel engines and not LNG except for very specific and dedicated routes.

My opinion, but what do I know ?

Anyway we have 2 more years to enjoy Bretagne, except for the centre ramps to Deck 5 which are too steep for Riley.

£399 vs. BFs £800-1000 seems like they will get customers if they advertise well, and get an ok reputation.

Of course it wont be BF's luxury stuff, but many travellers aren't interested in that and want to get from A to B.

Ah .... St Nazaire? Well then, with French government and EU support for new technology, ecologically friendly ships,etc, etc, potential further orders once the first example is afloat .... methinks the Chantiers de l'Atlantique are close to being a shoe in, no?

And why not? I would suggest BF may have wished they had not built the Pont Aven in Germany.... I believe they would have built a more sea kindly ship in St Nazaire.

I also hope that BF give more assurances to the port of St.Malo around cost and re-development....

Lest we forget the work needed at Poole to accommodate the Cotentin...

I doubt very much if we would ever see a ship of the quality of Bretagne. She was built as a showcase for BF to a very high standard for her time. I doubt if BF could afford a modern equivalent. Any new ship is likely to be Armorique'ish at best.

At the end of the day though they will look at balance sheet so if the assistance from French government/EU makes it viable it wont be built elsewhere but in these financial conditions you never know.

They are not supposed to get any direct financial aid from the government :)

The locals here are also extremely proud of what they do (doubtless like elsewhere).

Their industrial relations are frankly a bit stormy at times but at least they try to work in the same direction and don't attempt to resemble the confrontation at Grangemouth.

I see the STX developed LNG bunkering shuttle has now acquired AIP approval from the French BV. Interesting that this is announced so quickly after BFs. It would clearly make LNG powered shipping more attractive.

I see the STX developed LNG bunkering shuttle has now acquired AIP approval from the French BV. Interesting that this is announced so quickly after BFs. It would clearly make LNG powered shipping more attractive.

Do you have a link to that information ?

They are not supposed to get any direct financial aid from the government :)

The locals here are also extremely proud of what they do (doubtless like elsewhere).

Their industrial relations are frankly a bit stormy at times but at least they try to work in the same direction and don't attempt to resemble the confrontation at Grangemouth.

There were a very unique set of circumstances at Grangemouth I doubt the French workers would be blackmailed the same way that the Scottish workers were by the Chinese/investment fund that own Grangemouth, put Jim Ratcliffe in charge of Stx France and see what happens.

Archived