PEGASIS: New vessel for 2017 (note this project has been suspended)

Andy

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: BF prepraing to order new ship...

There were a very unique set of circumstances at Grangemouth I doubt the French workers would be blackmailed the same way that the Scottish workers were by the Chinese/investment fund that own Grangemouth, put Jim Ratcliffe in charge of Stx France and see what happens.

Ah, maybe but maybe not. My remark isn't politically motivated by the way. Rather a practical viewpoint.

For STX Europe, bear in mind that they have passed through successive ownerships over the last 10 years:

-Chantiers de l'Atlantique (Alsthom and the French Government I think);

-Aker Yards (Norway);

-STX (Korea);

-now up for sale (I'm not sure of the exact status).

They've had stormy industrial relations at times and in the difficult period when they had no orders prior to the "A34" Royal Caribbean order now ongoing, were on part time working with large layoffs in sight. My point was that both sides managed to work together to solve their problem ie it takes two to Tango.

BF are very close to signing the contract to build the new ships in St Nazaire, with LNG fuel, and all the subsidies you can dream of. The plans are at HQ in Roscoff.

The new ship will be on Spanish routes with Pont Aven moved to St Malo.

BF insiders feel they have let the cat amongst the pigeons with LD/DFDS running Poole-Spain, but they see this as only inevitable since BF "invaded" Le Havre and nicked 50,000 passengers. They saw LD as a joke but DFDS as worrying!

BF are very close to signing the contract to build the new ships in St Nazaire, with LNG fuel, and all the subsidies you can dream of. The plans are at HQ in Roscoff.

The new ship will be on Spanish routes with Pont Aven moved to St Malo.

BF insiders feel they have let the cat amongst the pigeons with LD/DFDS running Poole-Spain, but they see this as only inevitable since BF "invaded" Le Havre and nicked 50,000 passengers. They saw LD as a joke but DFDS as worrying!

That's good news for BF and the respective regions.

http://www.motorship.com/news101/industry-news/europe-backs-lng-ship-fuel-option

"A plan to look into the feasibility of providing LNG bunkering facilities in Roscoff (France) and Santander (Spain), under the name Seagas, which will enable ferry operator Brittany Ferries and the two port authorities to decide on whether or not to use LNG as fuel, is to be funded to the tune of €1.04 million, again 50% of the total costs. This is of particular interest as it is likely to lead to LNG-fuelled newbuilds or retrofits to existing ferries."

Would suit BFs current timetable just fine

It will be an interesting exercise for the designers to size the tanks ensure that the ships can always make it to Roscoff/Santander for re-fuelling.

St Malo/Cherbourg/Ouistreham/Le Havre ships will have to be well scrubbed oil fired.

The infrastructure for the storage tanks and supply lines in constricted/built up areas may pose problems for approval. I believe that there are or have been problems in one of the Scandinavian ports.

France have an LNG terminal opening in Dunkerque in 2015. This may seem a great distance but when you consider South Hook LNG here in Pembs has a pipeline to Gloucestershire which handles 25% of the Uks gas, anything is possible.

Bretagne will be the next ship to be replaced.

Bretagne will be the next ship to be replaced.

I certainly hope Bretagne does not leave us :'( !! It will certainly be a sad day it will be a DISASTER :'( !!!

BF will never be the same again Without Bretagne " the true flagship" in the fleet !!

As said before we will never see another new build built to the same high quality as the Bretagne !

I love her sweeping lines and her big deep sea Atlantic bow.

She still looks beautiful today for her age almost 25 years old.

Lets hope they use Bretagne's bow design for the new build for the Bay Of Biscay, not something like Pont Avens bow design we all know what happened there !!!

Going out onto a ships bow like Bretagne's is such a pleasure, not looking through sea water stained glass towards the bow On Pont Aven I cant think of anything worse !!

Well lets hope Bretagne wont go ! There is nothing wrong with her !.

I am a marine engineer and work on many suppy ships 10+ years older then her and they are kept in very good condition.

So a little bit of investment and a little more tlc BF and she will be as beautiful as always.

I think Bf should keep a true classic cruise ferry like her in the fleet because once they are gone they will never return. Don't let her go BF it will be a big mistake !!!!!

I'd rather design moved forward rather than replicated something. Sure, Bretagne is special but the Pont was designed for the speed she can achieve. Freak wave smashing windows - bit of a pain and a lesson learned there but the intention was good and the idea of a wrap around promenade accessible to more people in more weather conditions was a good idea. If it is LNG powered then I imagine there will have to be some compromises in design and a bit of a departure from the norm.

For all her charm inside, Bretagne is a bit of a box with a bow on the outside. The Pont looks like they gave up on design flair as they got closer to the stern. Don't get me started on the Armorique ;)

Yeah, the Bretagne is in remarkable nick. Viewing her form some angles, for example, her prow - she could still easily pass as a new ship.

I certainly hope Bretagne does not leave us :'( !! It will certainly be a sad day it will be a DISASTER :'( !!!

BF will never be the same again Without Bretagne " the true flagship" in the fleet !!

As said before we will never see another new build built to the same high quality as the Bretagne !

I love her sweeping lines and her big deep sea Atlantic bow.

Lets hope they use Bretagne's bow design for the new build for the Bay Of Biscay, not something like Pont Avens bow design we all know what happened there !!!

Going out onto a ships bow like Bretagne's is such a pleasure, not looking through sea water stained glass towards the bow On Pont Aven I cant think of anything worse !!

Well lets hope Bretagne wont go ! There is nothing wrong with her !.

I am a marine engineer and work on many suppy ships 10+ years older then her and they are kept in very good condition.

So a little bit of investment and a little more tlc BF and she will be as beautiful as always.

I think Bf should keep a true classic cruise ferry like her in the fleet because once they are gone they will never return. Don't let her go BF it will be a big mistake !!!!!

Don't forget this Emissions Control Area thing. I'm not sure BRETAGNE is anything like ideal for scrubbers. She's quite high out of the water and stability could be a serious issue.

Bretagne probably has quite a relaxed schedule compared to the rest. A slow overnight crossing taking over 12 hours and return 9 hours so not too much harbour moving with changing thrusts etc. Like a car, long journeys better than shorter ones.

The shipyard who designed and built Bretagne still exist. They surely can pull it again. QM2, the 3rd Oasis class... some good references.

I cant see scrubbers being such a stability problem for Bretagne ! its fitting them in position without spoiling the look of her funnel will be the problem !! Making the 2015-2020 emissions will be the challenge for the older vessels !

Saint Nazaire ship yard is still there as we all know but as Cvabishop says I cant see BF spending the money as there pockets are not so deep any more to make such a top quality new build like the Bretagne !

Would be lovely though to have Saint Nazaire build another ship like the Bretagne but just bigger, Named Bretagne 2 :D !

Its Never going to be the same though as the true Bretagne of course !!

Maybe a slight difference in the appearance of her funnels is a small price to pay if she can stay in service. Would rather they fitted scrubbers and keep her on, letting her stay for her 'lifespan'. A Bretagne 2 would probably not feel the same to her regulars.

Barf due to be up as well, would happily see her fitted if we can keep her longer!

Normandie too. Think fitting scrubbers needs shallower pockets than three new ships.

Archived