Sign in to follow this  
Andy

ETRETAT: Brittany Ferries Economie (no frills service)

Re: ETRETAT: Brittany Ferries Economie

Saw this over on Twitter, so cannot verify the information etc. etc., but a passenger on the sailing to Santander on the 26th sent this to BF - "sorry to say worst journey of my life guys. 3 times engines have stopped, little info from crew sea is horrendous" BF replied that they would send DM rather than respond in public.........of course the engines may not actually have stopped, they may have reduced speed to improve comfort levels, does not seem to have been a very pleasant crossing in any case.

Saw this over on Twitter, so cannot verify the information etc. etc., but a passenger on the sailing to Santander on the 26th sent this to BF - "sorry to say worst journey of my life guys. 3 times engines have stopped, little info from crew sea is horrendous" BF replied that they would send DM rather than respond in public.........of course the engines may not actually have stopped, they may have reduced speed to improve comfort levels, does not seem to have been a very pleasant crossing in any case.

Sorry, just seen that this is already covered in another thread......

I've noticed in the DFDS Harwich-Esbjerg closure press release, they suggest Portsmouth to Le Havre as an alternative for their passengers, which to me implies that DFDS will be continuing this route despite our speculation throughout this thread.

The press release also states Sirena Seaways will be redeployed.

The date of closure of the Harwich route coincides with the 6 month date they have stated they are able to use Seven Sisters until.

Will Sirena Seaways come to Portsmouth to Le Havre, or to displace one of their other vessels to move to Portsmouth Le Havre?

Hmm - Sirena Seaways and (the then) Norman Voyager very similar ships n what they can carry, and BF are doing well with Etretat now...

That would not surprise me

The Le Havre service lost money when it was run by LD Lines. They were a new name in the ferry business and their marketing was poor. DFDS haven't made much effort to promote Le Havre, perhaps because they are concentrating on the Dover routes. Brittany Ferries are well known, have very good marketing, and have a large number of loyal customers. Their overheads for the new Le Havre service will be much lower because they already have staff at Portsmouth, marketing and booking systems, call centres, websites, etc, with the cost being shared with all the other routes. It will always be difficult for a new ferry company running a single route, like LD Lines, to compete with an established company with a network of routes.

Excellent post. But, I always thought that DP World and their scale of their P&O branded European ferry network would keep Portsmouth - Bilbao open. Alas it never happened.

I've noticed in the DFDS Harwich-Esbjerg closure press release, they suggest Portsmouth to Le Havre as an alternative for their passengers, which to me implies that DFDS will be continuing this route despite our speculation throughout this thread.

In fairness, you wouldn't expect them to put out a release stating that one route was closing and that they thought a few more might be a bit iffy :). They will want to protect their image and also remind passengers and freight account holders that they have a network of routes.

Have been on this vessel several times in her former guise, and found her to be a good one especialy as Mrs G has mobility problems direct access to the passenger accomodation level 5. Everything we needed on one level ok it is a lot smaller then Normandie and Mont St Michel but does the job !!!:)

As to the comments about LD / DFDS and Le Harve if P&O pulled out sums it all !!!

In fairness, you wouldn't expect them to put out a release stating that one route was closing and that they thought a few more might be a bit iffy :). They will want to protect their image and also remind passengers and freight account holders that they have a network of routes.

On the other hand, a company isn't going to want to p**s passengers off by sending them to another route only to close that one as well a few months later.

On the other hand, a company isn't going to want to p**s passengers off by sending them to another route only to close that one as well a few months later.

Why not ? As I mentioned elsewhere, better for the company to have your money in their account getting interest. If they close a route, some will want a refund but others will just be rebooked to whatever routes exist. Any company that has shareholders to satisfy and account holders to serve would be nuts to cast doubt. Advance bookings would flood away and anyone with an account would be looking for more favourable terms to renew. Add in the risk of staff taking industrial action on the basis of an announcement being made in the press rather than through formal consultation, the fall in morale (service to customers) and the possible increase in staff turnover to drop yourself in a whole lot of mess.

Has anyone here been able to experience the Economie service yet or know people that have? Sirena Seaways vs Etretat- that would be an interesting battle.

Etretat, specifically her Spanish sailings it seems, has been receiving some bad reviews on Trip Advisor recently

Link

Link

Link

Good to see Brittany Ferries has responded to the reviews.

Sounds like there is an expectation linked to the name Brittany Ferries that can't be reconciled with the addition of the Economie tag. The Truckline brand had the opposite effect with passengers expecting less and being surprised (perhaps with the exception of Coutances) that they were getting a higher standard than they expected.

Has this website any reviews of NORMAN ASTURIAS? At least there won't be any smelly hounds on her. She doesn't carry them -- maybe wisely! The problem with the Bay of Biscay is the weather. If it's rough it's rough. Thus you can feel ill in palatial surroundings or you can feel ill on something resembling a troopship, apparently, but you can still feel ill!

Has this website any reviews of NORMAN ASTURIAS? At least there won't be any smelly hounds on her. She doesn't carry them -- maybe wisely! The problem with the Bay of Biscay is the weather. If it's rough it's rough. Thus you can feel ill in palatial surroundings or you can feel ill on something resembling a troopship, apparently, but you can still feel ill!

I'm sure customers will find a way to blame the ferry company for it being rough!

It always amuses me on twitter people having a rant at train operating companies, for issues that quite clearly to anyone with a brain cell is not the TOCs fault. A good example is the weather when Dawlish line washed away, I couldn't believe the number of people on twitter f-ing and blinding at first great western for not running trains through, or having cancelled/delayed services as a knock on effect.

http://www.directferries.co.uk/ld_lines_norman_asturias.htm

Only reviews I can find of Norman Asturias. Look alright to me.

Has this website any reviews of NORMAN ASTURIAS? At least there won't be any smelly hounds on her. She doesn't carry them -- maybe wisely!

It seems like the smelly hound problem was only for owners of other (smelly or not!) hounds - i.e. with the "exercise" area. I think that LD have told us previously, on the forum, that they are gearing up to accept dogs on their route.

It seems like the smelly hound problem was only for owners of other (smelly or not!) hounds - i.e. with the "exercise" area. I think that LD have told us previously, on the forum, that they are gearing up to accept dogs on their route.

Great news for pet owners... they take them on the French routes so suspected it wouldn't be long to add this valuable service to the Spain route as well...:)

Just catching up, and going back to Rich's comment in #437 (I think), a company that seriously puts Portsmouth - Le Havre forward as a viable alternative to Harwich - Esjberg, is somewhat suspect in my view! At a guess, it can't be less than 500 miles on the continent between the two. Perhaps one of our knowledgeable freight transport colleagues can explain the economics if I am wrong. Surely one would use Harwich to Esjberg only if the ultimate destination was in the North of Europe?

Just catching up, and going back to Rich's comment in #437 (I think), a company that seriously puts Portsmouth - Le Havre forward as a viable alternative to Harwich - Esjberg, is somewhat suspect in my view! At a guess, it can't be less than 500 miles on the continent between the two.

And the rest....approx. 1300km, so around 800 miles!

It may be elsewhere in this thread, but I was told by BF staff on Monday that the Etretat is only on a charter for 9 months.

So, if she leaves after 9 months, and NEX moves to Poole as it has been rumoured.....

I was told that they only had her for 9 months and that BF were actively looking for another ship to charter.......