Sign in to follow this  
bowlerreg

Demise of LD Lines

Is the chequered history of LD Lines seems to be finally coming to a full stop.

We have used the line regularly since they came onto the scene. Sailing from Dover, Newhaven, Portsmouth and St Nazaire. They have never been the most reliable company but now it would seem they are surpassing even their record for unreliability.

We were booked on the St Nazaire to Gijon route on Friday 19th September with a hotel booked en route to Southern Spain in Madrid. They contacted us to say the route was closing and I noticed that the last sailing was on the 17th I re-booked onto this. I have now been contacted telling me this ferry will not now be sailing, another en route hotel booking would have been wasted I am glad I with held booking that.

Will we ever see LD lines sailing again? They sometimes made Speed Ferries look like an efficient operation.

Re: Demise of LD Lines

The inevitable Ferry Publications future production "The LD Lines Story" will no doubt make an interesting but very exasperating read. For their first 5 years or so the comedy of their constant fleet changes, starting and aborting routes, was something we looked on with perplexed disbelief. I think more recently, though, we have all become desensitised to the chronic incompetence of how this ferry company has been run to the point where we now pretty much don't bat an eyelid when this sort of thing happens. We have just come to expect it as normal. Which of course we shouldn't do, because real people get messed about by people in offices playing with toy boats. I'm sorry your holiday is getting messed up - but thank heavens we have the likes of BF to provide a reliable service (well, as long as the French unions allow).

Why would they want to take on what LD have tried and failed at, if the traffic is not there in the quantity then BF would either have to sail from Poole but then scupper the Le Havre rival, take on another vessel and crews or do a movement sailing from Le Havre to Poole. Can't see it.

They may want to put Cotentin to use though rather than lay her up. It has been said many times they have no future plans for Cotentin, but then she is being returned and I bet they would rather not have her sitting there doing nothing.

Except that would just complete a full circle within the space of little more than a year. It was taking Cotentin off the Poole route that led to LD stepping in in the first place. In my view, the only future for Cotentin within the BF fleet is if she is converted along similar lines to Armorique to carry passengers.

I think the BF logic was to probe that the market IS there, for a larger firm? They have now got rid of LD as they did with P&O (in my opinion). They are a clever bunch :-)

Phew, I am safe then ,sailing on the 10th ,hope they dont bring the date forward

Sailing where on the 10th ? LD website days Poole to Santander ends on the 7th.

They are a clever bunch :-)

Clever? Just focussed I think - which in the end proabaly brings the same result operationally. And after all who else now has their knowledge of the various markets out of Portsmouth?

Or Rosslare - Le Havre.

Or Rosslare - Cherbourg.

Or Newhaven - Le Havre.

Or Dover - Dieppe.

Or Ramsgate - Ostend.

Or Dover - Boulogne.

Dover - Calais judgement is out on.

In fact, only really Portsmouth - Le Havre could qualify for a route that LD were ever really serious about. And all the potential of that route was squandered when they removed the originally configured Norman Spirit from it.

It is, of course, DFDS who pulled out of Portsmouth-Le Havre, having acquired the route form LD Lines a little while ago.

Pedantry aside, I would think that BF's ability to offer 24 crossings per week (including Ouistreham), each way, would be important in the decisions of freight operators. I also wonder what effect the recent argument over Newhaven/Dieppe and the two Transmanche ships might have had. especially after BF got hold of the ship now known as Etretat. What is the freight capacity of the Transmanche twins?

A measly 1.270 lanemeters.

I thought so. So did DFDS give up Etretat voluntarily, or was it forced (either by BF outbidding for the charter, or something complicated involving the Transmanche ships?) I can't help thinking that this has something to do with the negotiations over the Newhaven-Dieppe route. Will DFDS make of go of it now, with a 2 ship service?