Sign in to follow this  
The Ferry Man

Harbour Tour with Bateau Ville du Havre II

Two great harbour tours are offered by Ville du Havre II. The tours cost 14, and last for a hour and a half. The one I went on went around to the new Port 2000, and the boat stops along side the different ships alongside. The other tour goes into the inner port. The commentary is in French, but it is still worth a visit.

th_DSC_3358.jpg

th_DSC_3691.jpg

For everyone here this is a must. Like the Ferry Man we did the Port 2000 trip. If you've never been close to a big container ship from sea level, it will be a revelation.

Havre is of course one of Europe's biggest container ports, so there's always plenty of traffic wha

Take a look at Maersk Hangzhou, which at 15,226teu is "small" for an ultra large container vessel.  She was delivered earlier this year (Maersk's 2nd generation Triple-E class – of which the most recent, also new this year, is Mumbai Maersk –  can carry >20,000teu.) Vital stats are  353m LOA x 53.5m with draft 15m and measures 153,744 GT. Built by Hyundai. 

We saw her on 30 September and she left the following day. At the time of writing (Saturday 6 Oct) she is en route to Tangier, having been in and out of Felixstowe.

Tech note: This is the first H-class I've seen close-up and I was interested to discover that unlike the Triple E they are single-engined.

Le H tour 2 Maersk Hangzhou_.jpg

LeH tour boat ville duH.jpg

• Like 1

I've just been prompted by someone who doesn't normally take an interest in freight to explain TEUs.

Simple translation for passers-by: 20ft containers or their equivalent (ie 1 x 40ft box would count as 2teu).

More details without getting technical

See Wikipedia

And if you do want to know more about giant container ships (ULCS) this article is a good place to start.

• Like 1